Clunk, Clack, Click - when shifting 06 STi 6K miles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clunk, Clack, Click - when shifting 06 STi 6K miles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought my Sti used with 6K miles. When anybody drives the car, including myself when you let off the gas, ...

Clunk, Clack, Click - when shifting 06 STi 6K miles

Bought my Sti used with 6K miles. When anybody drives the car, including myself when you let off the gas, or shift etc.. you hear a clunk, click, clack sound(s) as if when the engine torques the mounts are shot or something?

The previous owner may or may not have known how to drive stick and I fear somehow with in the 6K miles that are on the car she or who ever she let drive it killed the engine or transmission mounts..

Anybody else hear this sound, is it normal am I being paranoid or do you think it's possible that she couldn't drive a manual and was jerking the engine around stalling the car out enough times to kill the mounts already.

I hope that kinda thing is under warranty? Especially since I've only had the car a week since bought it used and it's been doing this since day 1.
    5-23-07 06' WRB STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you shifting fast and under hard acceleration when t his happens?

If so it's probaly the rear diff clunking. This is an issue if you shift to fast. TiC makes a bushing kit that help prevents this. It's basically your rear end banging against the car.

The other option is possible a motor mount. In 06 Subaru used a plastic motor mount on some earlier STI's. Possible you have one of those and it broke.

If it doesnt happen under normal acceleration shifting at 3k rpms casually then it's probaly a motor mount.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Doesn't hurt to take it to have it checked out. But I have to ask, are you sure that you know how to drive MT? Does it only happen when the car is cold? Or does it happen after driving around for 5-10 minutes as well?

P.S. - By the title, I thought it was going to be a commercial for Under Armor
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Are you shifting fast and under hard acceleration when t his happens?

If so it's probaly the rear diff clunking. This is an issue if you shift to fast. TiC makes a bushing kit that help prevents this. It's basically your rear end banging against the car.

The other option is possible a motor mount. In 06 Subaru used a plastic motor mount on some earlier STI's. Possible you have one of those and it broke.

If it doesnt happen under normal acceleration shifting at 3k rpms casually then it's probaly a motor mount.
    +100000000000 to all of this. Odds are you are shifting fast and dumping the clutch. Is the sound coming from behind your ear? Its the rear diff clunking. You cant drive these cars like Honda's, you have to gradually let out the clutch and give her gas, sorta slip it at the end. You cant dump it. Very bad idea.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I would consider myself "second nature" driving an m/t - I did think maybe it was just me too, but I let several other people drive it and didn't tell them about the sound. Every person in the car immediatly mentions theres a sound when shifting so I'm not sure what to make of it?

I baby the car really, I shift at 3K usually all the time because it's out of boost unless I'm merging, or passing. Low RPM shifting is when I hear the sound, and I think (not 100% sure) but I think it happens more-so when the vehicle has only been driving for 10 or less miles possibly?

This STi was purchased by the original owner in December of 05' so it could very well be an early production 06 depending on when they started the 06's.

Not totally sure if the sound is behind me, under me, or in front of me but I'll keep a listen out for it tonight when I'm driving home then to work in the morning and report back tomorrow!

Thanks for the fast replys, hopefully I get this straightened out soon, or learn to drive my car better so I can avoid the noise haha
    5-23-07 06' WRB STi

My first guess would definately be with Subaru Engine Shudder, which happens when the motor is still cold.
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd probaly dismiss the studder if it's while moving. I havent ever noticed it in any of my subarus unless it's at idle.

It could very well be the motor mount if you arent driving it hard. I'd have that looked into as they have a replacement mount (basically an 05 mount) that they put in it.

The Diff clunk is usually while driving the car hard. If it's just casual driving it probaly isnt that unless one of the bushings is completly dead.

My rear diff clunks too whenever I change the direction of inertia. If I stab the gas, then back off suddenly, my rear end pops. I was able to duplicate it by jacking the car up, putting the tranny in neutral, and moving the rear passenger wheel clockwise and counter-clockwise.

I took it to a stealership, and they said "oh, that's just a heat shield banging. Nothing to worry about." I told them it has to be either my diff or u joints, but then they said they'll have to send my drivetrain out to CA to have engineers inspect it for "abuse." Buttheads.

I just said "give me my car back." If it breaks, I'll buy a better one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Really there are 4 logical options:

1) Is the rear diff clunk that is very common with the WRX/STI's with fast shifting...the fix is here Rear Differential Mount Bushings

These bushings fit into the rear diff hanger on the GD/GH chassis. It is important to note that these are not for the subframe outriggers, but for the actual mount for the rear diff.

The origin of this part was to eliminate the clunk from the rear of the car during hard launches, and high RPM/hard shifts. Research found that a large contributor to the clunk was the soft stock carrier bushings flexing too much and allowing the rear differential to move a drastic amount. A large contributor to this flex is not so much the material, despite being soft rubber, but the voids that exist in the upper and lower portion of the stock bushings.

Made from a very carefully selected stiffness of polyurethane for longevity, these pieces are unique to the market in two aspects. The first, and most important, is the split bushing design. By utilizing this split design this has eased the installation for the shade tree mechanic in that a press is not necessary to install into the hanger. Second is the bushing shape. Instead of following conventional wisdom and shaping the bushings exactly like the stock bushings, these bushings took a different route and used a fully flanged bushing with flat outer faces. This flanged design stabilizes the hanger from shifting or twisting by supporting the hanger mount edges. The flat outer faces allow for full surface contact with the rear subframe, further supporting the flanges, and creating a tighter fit of the entire assembly.

Overall, the bushings accomplish exactly what they are designed to do: eliminate the clunk from the rear of the car. They do this job very well with very little increase in NVH. Upon testing these it was also discovered they provide a very nice surprise benefit of a more connected feeling with the rear of the car. This allows for more control, and an elimination of some of the soft vagueness that seems to plague the rear end.

When coupled with rear subframe outrigger bushings, there is a mild increase in NVH, but the feedback and connected feeling is even further enhanced.

Rear differential mount bushing manufacturers:

Turn in Concepts
    Perrin

2) Would be the motor mounts are gone...like I said earlier the 06's early productions used a plastic mount.

3) You could have the rear strut noise that the STI's make. This shouldnt be shift dependent but rather going over bumps.

4) Frozen intercooler sprayer bottle which isnt llikely at all since it's summer time.

My voite would be 1-2. They both would be shift dependent. If it happens while cruising over speed bumps and isnt shift dependent...then possible 3.

^^^ Very nice.

I got called into work for a couple doubles, so I wasn't able to go to the dealership but based on what ever one has said thus far.. I was trying "letting the clutch out slower" and kinda letting it slip a little into first and second which was when I usually noticed the sound. It doesn't seem to make the noise if I let the clutch slip enough not to engage to quickly so It must be something I was doing wrong.. When I let the clutch out to quickly anywhere into first even with out gas the tires break lose haha.. What a car!

I drive it via: the no gas method, I bring the clutch to friction point before I ever give any gas, and even then I hardly have to give it gas to put it into gear even first. 1,500 rpms max on a hill.

The car is just picky in how we drive it I guess? I still can't tell where it's coming from but it sounds more like under me, or behind me.
    5-23-07 06' WRB STi

Quote Originally Posted by Drive_STIck View Post
    I was trying "letting the clutch out slower" and kinda letting it slip a little into first and second which was when I usually noticed the sound. It doesn't seem to make the noise if I let the clutch slip enough not to engage to quickly so It must be something I was doing wrong.. When I let the clutch out to quickly anywhere into first even with out gas the tires break lose haha.. What a car!

I drive it via: the no gas method, I bring the clutch to friction point before I ever give any gas, and even then I hardly have to give it gas to put it into gear even first. 1,500 rpms max on a hill.

The car is just picky in how we drive it I guess? I still can't tell where it's coming from but it sounds more like under me, or behind me.
    Yea keep doing that slower release and it wont make the noise. If you plan on going to the drag strip then you might want to upgrade the bushings, etc like others mentioned.

These cars are very picky and I found for a long time that I couldnt get the car to take off quickly like my RSX had, but then again the RSX was FWD and I only had to move 2695 lbs, not 3,000+.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

My vote would be to take a look at the motor mounts. Since the 06 STI has plastic monuts, they would break easily if the car experienced one hard launch. And it fits perfectly with the sound your hearing, because when you shift, the engine moves back to its resting position, making the broken plastic produce a "cracking" sound. Slide under the car and take a look for yourself... they are right below the path of your front sway bar.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.