Wheel Grease(?) Issue

This is a discussion on Wheel Grease(?) Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been noticing that on my BBS wheels of my 2007 STI, black grease-like material build up after a few ...

Question Wheel Grease(?) Issue

I've been noticing that on my BBS wheels of my 2007 STI, black grease-like material build up after a few days of driving. Can someone explain this "phenomenon", since I never get this black material on my 1999 Chevrolet Malibu's wheels.

This picture was taken right after I drove the car for 3 minutes. Prior to that, I just finished washing and cleaning the car (including the wheels):

For a closer look, here is the black material stuck on my hand:
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1983

"Chance is not something you wait for. It is something you create yourself."
    -Alain-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Probably just brake dust. Some brake pads produce more dust than others. Just clean it off with simple green. I usually wipe down my wheels when I get back to the garage every time, keeps it from building up.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Thumbs up

That was a quick reply. Thank you very much.

Is there any method to reduce production of brake dust, may it be a reconfiguration of brake settings or a simple change of braking style?

You lost me on the "simple green". Is that car-speak for (green) towel?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1983

-Alain-

Quote Originally Posted by Buntakumi View Post
    That was a quick reply. Thank you very much.

Is there any method to reduce production of brake dust, may it be a reconfiguration of brake settings or a simple change of braking style?

You lost me on the "simple green". Is that car-speak for (green) towel?
    Uh well braking less is probably the only real way or switching to different brake pads though I don't know if any pads with comparable stats would produce less dust.

Simple Green is a cleaner product. You can usually find it at grocery stores, or auto zone type stores. It's green. It has allot of uses but it works well on getting brake dust off.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Only thing I could think is that the brake dust is sticking to some sort of wheel cleaner that you might be using. Only way to cut down on brake dust = Endless brake pads. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and my wheels are the only clean part of my car.

...but Endless pads aren't cheap.
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

Question

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    Only thing I could think is that the brake dust is sticking to some sort of wheel cleaner that you might be using. Only way to cut down on brake dust = Endless brake pads. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and my wheels are the only clean part of my car.

...but Endless pads aren't cheap.
    The thing is, I don't use any wheel cleaner. I just use plain cleaning towel to remove the black residue.

In any case, how is the Endless brake pads compared to, let's say, STI's stock. I've checked the price listing for that product and it is well within my budget. I am considering it as a replacement in the future.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1983

-Alain-

They are top notch man. Just a quick rundown of my brake set-up (Mind you, I have an '01 RS):

-Sard SS Brake lines
    -Endless pads
    -DBA Gold rotors
    -Wilwood 570 Hi-temp brake fluid

I've been testing them out... it takes about 500 miles to brake in the pads in order to get their full potential and honestly I think my car stops better then 4-pots with OEM pads... Not that it is saying a whole lot, but if I can make that much of an improvement with my stock RS calipers, I could only assume that endless pads with brembos would be fantastic. From experience, I can tell you the pads are way better then Axxis Ultimates and Hawk pads, they are twice the price but Axxis and Hawk pads let off more dust then OEM pads.

Again, if Endless pads are definately worth it... to me anyways. I almost wish I had spent the extra cash to get the CCX pads.

Here is another thread where they talk about Endless Pads... so it's not just me.

Anyone have experience with Endless brake pads?
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    They are top notch man. Just a quick rundown of my brake set-up (Mind you, I have an '01 RS):

-Sard SS Brake lines
    -Endless pads
    -DBA Gold rotors
    -Wilwood 570 Hi-temp brake fluid

I've been testing them out... it takes about 500 miles to brake in the pads in order to get their full potential and honestly I think my car stops better then 4-pots with OEM pads... Not that it is saying a whole lot, but if I can make that much of an improvement with my stock RS calipers, I could only assume that endless pads with brembos would be fantastic. From experience, I can tell you the pads are way better then Axxis Ultimates and Hawk pads, they are twice the price but Axxis and Hawk pads let off more dust then OEM pads.

Again, if Endless pads are definately worth it... to me anyways. I almost wish I had spent the extra cash to get the CCX pads.

Here is another thread where they talk about Endless Pads... so it's not just me.

Anyone have experience with Endless brake pads?
    Thanks for the review and link.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1983

-Alain-

wax your wheels..they have the same finish as your body..the dust will still apeear(not as bad) ,but a simple spray of the hose will remove it