possible oil leak with pics (56kwarning)?

This is a discussion on possible oil leak with pics (56kwarning)? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i was changin my oil yesterday and while doing so i noticed what looked like oil leaking around ...

kmo

possible oil leak with pics (56kwarning)?

hey guys i was changin my oil yesterday and while doing so i noticed what looked like oil leaking around the seals of some part of the motor. Im not sure which part of the motor it is so i took a pic. Hopefully you gguys can tell me what it is and if its something to be concerned about or not. Thanks. PS i dont no how to resize pictures so sorry its so big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4616_edited.jpg  
    Last edited by kmo; 05-25-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    ...We Are Virginia Tech...

Proud to be a Hokie 3-16-07

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can you reach your finger to it and see if the oil is still wet? If it's dry, it might just be a discoloration from heat.

kmo
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    Can you reach your finger to it and see if the oil is still wet? If it's dry, it might just be a discoloration from heat.
    it was def wet and that was the most wet part but i could see oil traces along where the metal and plastic parts connected continuing down as well

That's not good. Can you take a pic from further back so I can see where in the engine bay it is? It's hard to get a reference point from the first pic.

kmo
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    That's not good. Can you take a pic from further back so I can see where in the engine bay it is? It's hard to get a reference point from the first pic.
    heres a pic the thin green line is where i see the leak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4631.JPG  

kmo
    neone???

i would like to say that i think it is your valve cover gasket. reason being my engine is out and thats where i thought mine was leaking. but my ended up being the cam seals.

Valve covers is a definite possibility. I was even thinking that it could just be from the oil filter. The oil could be leaking there and then running to the bolt that appears oily.

kmo
    is valve covers a serious problem? how costly of a repair would that be?

I agree, looks to be coming out from behind the timing cover, so cam seals are likely, possibly valve cover.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

kmo
    is the a serious issue? what can it cause.... is there a way i can test these theories like maybe a compression test or something. And how much do these things generally cost to get fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kmo View Post
    is the a serious issue? what can it cause.... is there a way i can test these theories like maybe a compression test or something. And how much do these things generally cost to get fixed?
    The only sure fire way to confirm an oil leak is to view it directly. If its a valve cover leak, may not be so bad. If its a cam seal, may not be so bad. The problem with cam seals is, when severe enough(which your isnt) and it starts to saturate the belt, bad thing begin to happen which ends in broke motors. Not to scare you, this is of course way worst case. Aside from that, no minor oil leak is damaging as long as you check and correct the level regularly. I'm pretty sure it has to be either one of these, so i'd but all cam seals and valve cover gaskets needed, tear into it and just return what you dont need. Since you may have it off, it would be a good time for a t-belt.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

kmo
    Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    The only sure fire way to confirm an oil leak is to view it directly. If its a valve cover leak, may not be so bad. If its a cam seal, may not be so bad. The problem with cam seals is, when severe enough(which your isnt) and it starts to saturate the belt, bad thing begin to happen which ends in broke motors. Not to scare you, this is of course way worst case. Aside from that, no minor oil leak is damaging as long as you check and correct the level regularly. I'm pretty sure it has to be either one of these, so i'd but all cam seals and valve cover gaskets needed, tear into it and just return what you dont need. Since you may have it off, it would be a good time for a t-belt.
    Well im ive never really done any serious work on my car. It sounds like a difficult thing to do for someone like me but maybe not. Any idea as to how much it would cost to get fixed as opposed to doing it myself. Im worried that would be too difficult for me.

Sorry, no. I just work on cars, i dont have anything to do with pricing. To do a cam seal should'nt be much more labor than doing a t-belt. Call around and get quotes and remember, the dealers DO know your car best.

ok first off ive been a subie tech for 8 years..and what you have is a cam seal leaking issue..for sure..without a doubt.. i recomend repairing them because oil will compromize your timing belt..i also recomend doing all 4 cam seals at once ,and the oil pump seal..your gonna need special tools to pull the cam gears that love to break thanks to their plastic like design.. id also check your timing belt tensioner for oil around the hydraulic piston of it..if oil is present replace it while doing the seals.. but yes your prob is cam seals and im sure of it... hope i helped