Serpentine belt shredded

This is a discussion on Serpentine belt shredded within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I took my bugeye for a quick drive today, and everything seemed fine until I got home. I pulled into ...

Serpentine belt shredded

I took my bugeye for a quick drive today, and everything seemed fine until I got home. I pulled into the driveway, then suddenly I heard a non-uniform clicking noise. It sounded pretty bad, so I quickly popped the hood and jumped out of the car to check it out (the car was parked in my garage). Right when I opened the hood, a piece of the belt came flying out at me. I shut off the engine and got a flashlight to inspect it closer, only to see the the serpentine belt is royally shredded. What could have caused this? The car has been driving fine up until I parked it today.

Another question: about how much will this cost to get fixed? I'm going to tow it over to the dealership tomorrow, I'm just curious as to how far this will set me back if my warranty gives me trouble.
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    TR might have a better idea but it's probaly an hour labor and list on the belt could be anywhere from 40-80 bucks depending.

I'd say probaly all said and done for under 170 I'd guess.

But you have to find out why it failed. A pulley might be messed up, a tensioner might be bad, the belt could just be old.

To be 100% honest if the belt looks very old it probaly just went and you could PROBALY put a new one on in the driveway. Just follow the diagram that should be on the hood. You'll need a socket set to unload the tensioner but it's a rather straight up install most of the time.

Now if the tensioner is gone or a pulley is messed up it's a little bit more work. I guess if you have a warranty I'd probaly try that route to. Most of the time that's something a used car lot should have picked up on since you havent had your car that long. If I was in charge I'd consider that a customer friendly part to replace. It would only cost the shop about another 70 bucks to replace it and tack it onto the cost of the car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Awesome, I appreciate the response. I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow, they'll probably be able to figure it out. The car has 79,000 miles on it, so it might just be that the belt was old.
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

I took some pictures of it for good measure:

Bugeye Mafia #130

For what it's worth, the only times I've seen a belt fail that badly are when it was installed incorrectly (my neighbor did that once on his truck) and when a pully failed or seized up. For example, if the bearing in the alternator seized, the friction from the belt rubbing over it could do that.

In that example though, your battery light would have come on because the electrical system wouldn't be charging, but I think you get the idea.

In any case, I would take the belt off, and try to spin the pully on each accessory and the tensioner. They should spin by hand if the bearings are ok. If something doesn't spin, it's siezed. If they all spin OK, and the pullies don't look mauled, a new belt would be the next step and you'll probably be fine.