Subaru WRX Forum banner

high pitched whistle near intercooler

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SubyPsycho 
#1 ·
if i let the car idle and open the hood i can hear a very faint high pitched whistling sound that seems to be coming from right around where the intercooler connects the (manifold?) im not an expert with what everything is called but its the main intercooler connection at the front of the intercooler. either there or right underneath the intercooler. does anyone have an idea what this could be and what might be leaking if anything. i have a boost gauge and the car seems to boost up fine. its an 02.

#2 ·
How long has the boost gauge been on there? It's possible that the plastic T that comes with most gauges cracked and you're getting a small vacuum leak. That's common.

The hose that is connected to the front of the intercooler goes to the intake manifold. If that's where the sound is coming from, check the hoses for cracks and dry rot. If it's an 02, chances are those hoses are starting to get brittle. The turbo feeds into the underside of the intercooler, so you would have to remove the IC to see them.

This sounds like a good excuse for aftermarket intercooler hoses. Perrin has a nice set. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.