break in and oil?

This is a discussion on break in and oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought a 2007 wrx and i was wondering what everyone was doing for break in periods? also when ...

break in and oil?

i just bought a 2007 wrx and i was wondering what everyone was doing for break in periods? also when to switch to synthetic and what kind of oils everyone is running? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The dealership told me that if I wanted to switch to synthetic to wait til at least 12K. They said Subaru recommends conventional oil but I could switch after that.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 07subie View Post
    i just bought a 2007 wrx and i was wondering what everyone was doing for break in periods? also when to switch to synthetic and what kind of oils everyone is running? thanks
    The manual says the break in period is (if I remember correctly) 1500 miles. After that I would switch all the driveline fluids to synthetic. I use and prefer Amsoil but what do I know????

Another sugguestion is to read the owner's manual 5x to know what it says and recommends.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    The break in is to keep it under 4k rpms for the first 1k miles. Vary RPMS (dont use cruise control).

As far as the break in oil I usually try to get it out sometime after 1500 miles. That's usually right around 3 months for me which is there interval.

Make sure whatever oil you pick meets Subarus requirements (I think SM or GF-4). If you do your own oil changes keep all the receipts and use Subaru filters. Also recommend using a new crush washer/drain plug if you are doing it yourself.

If you are paying someone to do it again use Subaru filter and approved oil. Keep all your receipts and make sure the receipts show what your milage this.

This is far more important then "what oil to use" as if you have any major motor problems down the road Subaru will want to see all your receipts.

Modern oil for the most part is very good and the brands are very close. Keep the changes at the proper intervals and check the level often. You could more then likely run the cheapest oil you can find with good intervals and regular checks and have no issues.

Syn. is a highly debatable subject. I personally feel that 12k is a good point ot switch over but there is zero proof either way. Subaru states it's fine to use as long as you use the proper intervals and change out the filter like normal. They just recommend you use the proper weight per the owners manual.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I put in M1 Synthetic around 1500 miles, and have been every oil change since. Currently at 17000 miles and still going strong.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Syn. is a highly debatable subject. I personally feel that 12k is a good point ot switch over but there is zero proof either way. Subaru states it's fine to use as long as you use the proper intervals and change out the filter like normal. They just recommend you use the proper weight per the owners manual.
    I switched my STi at the first interval to synthetic. I agree it's debatable. This is one of those threads that could go on forever.

A lot of cars are starting to come from the factory with syn oil. The Evo and Viper do just to name a couple. Some people say that's evidence that syn oil can be run right away, but I'm not so sure. They probably put those cars through some sort of break-in period before releasing them.

I currently use Mobil 1, but I'm thinking of switching to Royal Purple. As for filters, there was a thread on (I believe) NASIOC where different filters were broken open and their filtration material checked. The consensus was that the oe Subaru filters are best.

That's my $.02.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've done my fair share of research (by no means an expert like SD_GR and some other nasioc folks) but my research has shown it can go either way.

The main thing is to keep intervals and to check it regularly. Now as far as the warranty goes use stock filters, proper oil weight and rating, at the right intervals, and document everything.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"