wheel vibration

This is a discussion on wheel vibration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just got new tires put on my car and got them balanced and an alignment. The problem is the ...

kmo

wheel vibration

i just got new tires put on my car and got them balanced and an alignment. The problem is the car get a very noticable vibration at highway speeds above 70. the steering wheel feels very loose and the car vibrates pretty severly. This also happens while on spirited drives at speeds around 60 or so. I have gone over 100 on the highway before this and the car has always felt very sturdy. But tonite i went 100 and was afraid i was going to loose control of the car. The alignment should be alright because i got the printout and everything looks good (camber and toe wise). Does anyone have any idea what might be happening
    ...We Are Virginia Tech...

Proud to be a Hokie 3-16-07

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

are your tires chopped ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Unbalanced, defective tire(s), loose lug nut(s). Take it back and let them know.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Unbalanced, defective tire(s), loose lug nut(s). Take it back and let them know.
    ahhh very true

i would listen to this guy hes pretty smart
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

kmo
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    are your tires chopped ?

what does that mean? and also how can you tell if a tire is defective?
    Last edited by kmo; 05-14-2007 at 10:31 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo View Post
    and also how can you tell if a tire is defective?
    One way to tell is if it vibrates... With today's tech though it's more likely someone just didn't install them correctly. Either way it's not really your problem. Either the installer or the manufacturer will have to deal with it. Take the car back and get an answer.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    One way to tell is if it vibrates... With today's tech though it's more likely someone just didn't install them correctly. Either way it's not really your problem. Either the installer or the manufacturer will have to deal with it. Take the car back and get an answer.
    +1 ^this guy^ is one of the most knowledgeable people on the forum

but i have to ask, what are the specific #'s he gave you for your alignment...?
    because OE spec leaves a lot of room for tire destruction (i know this, believe me)

kmo
    brought it back today and turns out the did a horrible job balancing the tires so i waited with the guy and watched him balance them all. problem is gone... thanks for the help im glad that i was able to get help from such a respected member of the forum. my alignment is -1. -1.1 camber up front and 0 and -.01 toe up front and 0 and .01 toe in back with back camber at -1.2 and -1.4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    i would listen to this guy hes pretty smart
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    +1 ^this guy^ is one of the most knowledgeable people on the forum
    You're both very kind, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kmo View Post
    brought it back today and turns out the did a horrible job balancing the tires so i waited with the guy and watched him balance them all. problem is gone... thanks {SNIP}
    Great, makes sense. Usually it's tire unbalanced, bent wheel, tire not on right, wheel not on right etc.