Valve rattle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Valve rattle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't know if it's a problem or not, but I was driving my car this weekend, and had an ...

Valve rattle

I don't know if it's a problem or not, but I was driving my car this weekend, and had an open space of road and wound it out a bit in 2nd, to around 5k rpm then shifted to 3rd. While I was accelerating I heard what sounded like the valves rattling. Has anyone else heard this before? Is it something I should worry about, or is it normal when the engine is being pushed. I was just curious because I hadn't heard this noise before.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    I don't know if it's a problem or not, but I was driving my car this weekend, and had an open space of road and wound it out a bit in 2nd, to around 5k rpm then shifted to 3rd. While I was accelerating I heard what sounded like the valves rattling. Has anyone else heard this before? Is it something I should worry about, or is it normal when the engine is being pushed. I was just curious because I hadn't heard this noise before.
    What octane gas were you using? I'm wondering if you were hearing pinging and not valve rattling. I have a hard time telling the difference myself.

2nd question: How many miles are on the car?

It's 93 Octane as far as I know, unless sheetz has switched to 92, which I've seen here and there around here recently. The car has a bit over 17k miles.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did it sound like someone shaking a paint can or rocks hitting the bottom of the car kind of?

Hmmm, given the choices, more like shaking a paint can. It wasn't a constant thing either, because I tried again later in the day and it didn't do it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ping most likely, or spark knock. It is a form of detonation (there is a sticky on that). Your ECU should manage it if it is within a reasonable range, otherwise it can be very destructive. Hopefully you just got some bad gas. Otherwise, here are a number of things that searching revealed as potential causes (just look at the numbered list unless you want to hear my saga):

Troubleshooting Ping, in over my head

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Ping most likely, or spark knock. It is a form of detonation (there is a sticky on that). Your ECU should manage it if it is within a reasonable range, otherwise it can be very destructive. Hopefully you just got some bad gas. Otherwise, here are a number of things that searching revealed as potential causes (just look at the numbered list unless you want to hear my saga):

Troubleshooting Ping, in over my head
    Well, since it's something I haven't noticed but once or twice on this tank of gas, I'm not going to try anything drastic unless it continues after I fill up again, and hope it's just bad gas and the car adjusting to the recently warmer temperatures.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I'm guessing bad gas too. All of the Sheetz stations around my house sell 92 at the highest, and we really should be running 93 unless we have the CA map running on our ECUs. Some unscroupulous gas stations will put 89 in their 93 tanks, but that's really rare.

As mycologist said, the ECU should correct for it. I would try to make sure that you're really running 93 oct, and maybe switch to a different gas station for fillup. All gas is pretty much the same, but there has been a push by several auto makers to define what gas has the best detergents and chemical makeup. They call it "Top Tier Gas." Check out this article for some more info:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    I'm guessing bad gas too. All of the Sheetz stations around my house sell 92 at the highest, and we really should be running 93 unless we have the CA map running on our ECUs. Some unscroupulous gas stations will put 89 in their 93 tanks, but that's really rare.

As mycologist said, the ECU should correct for it. I would try to make sure that you're really running 93 oct, and maybe switch to a different gas station for fillup. All gas is pretty much the same, but there has been a push by several auto makers to define what gas has the best detergents and chemical makeup. They call it "Top Tier Gas." Check out this article for some more info:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm
    Yeah, I'll have to check next time and see if they've changed it. I know the WaWa near my office has gone to 92, and I've stopped getting gas there.

The top tier thing is great, but those places also charge top tier prices. That's why I went to sheetz, they wanted 2.77 for regular, when everywhere else was at 2.90ish. Shell tends to be the most expensive gas around here, even though it's supposed to be the best.

Maybe I'll stop and top off my tank with some gas from a Shell or Chevron or something, see if it helps.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Speaking of octane and such, what do you guys think of this? http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Personally, I'm very careful about what I put into my gas. That being said, a lot of off-the-shelf additives list some ingredients on the bottle. I know STP does. Next time you're at a store that sells that stuff, check the bottle and see if it lists toluene. I know toluene is an organic molecule just like gasoline, but that's about all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    Personally, I'm very careful about what I put into my gas. That being said, a lot of off-the-shelf additives list some ingredients on the bottle. I know STP does. Next time you're at a store that sells that stuff, check the bottle and see if it lists toluene. I know toluene is an organic molecule just like gasoline, but that's about all I know.
    I don't know if you read the link I posted or not, but in the first few lines he mentions that toulene is a common ingredient in off the shelf octane boosters.

I just thought I would also post an update on my problem. I filled up with a tank of Citgo gas (last tank was sheetz) and the car is acting normal now, so it must have been a bad tank.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.