ac doesnt turn on?

This is a discussion on ac doesnt turn on? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; after doing a little reading, seems that majority of the problem with the ac is from expansion valve. quick question: ...

ac doesnt turn on?

after doing a little reading, seems that majority of the problem with the ac is from expansion valve.

quick question: if my expansion valve is broken, will i get a little cool air? because my ac just doesnt even turn on. when i press the ac the car's idle doesnt change at all. and i know for a fact i'd be able to feel the ac going on, always did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

does ac compressors clutch engage?

I Support ClubWRX
    Lack of freon caused by a leak is the most common problem.

^^ it happaned to me to test it I went and pressed in the low pressure side valve which is by the firewall on the left side of the engine and nothing came out, just a little puff of gas and that was it. Went and got 1 can of 12oz coolant and added it and presto AC turned on. It leaked out about 3 weeks and since I bought the UV leak detecting coolant, I thought I might see where the hole is. But no I couldn't find where the leak is so I got a can of stop leak and added that in to the lines, that seemed to have stopped the leak since it was propably a very small one somewhere where I can't see. So get yourself a UV kit and try to find where the leak is. If its big you should see a neon green color all over where the leak is. And then you can order what ever part is leaking and fix it yourself. In my case the leak was somwhere hidden and really small, so the stop leak has worked. But if its a big gash, then only replacing the failed part will solve your problem.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by ImprezaMeWith View Post
    does ac compressors clutch engage?
    how would i know?

Im pretty newb at this ac components. All i can say is, when i press the AC button, my cars engine idle doesnt change, as if the compressor or nothing turns on. Air temperature doesnt change either.

Not sure if its leaking or some ****s seized up, although that shouldnt happen, since my ac worked b4 winter.

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    ^^ it happaned to me to test it I went and pressed in the low pressure side valve which is by the firewall on the left side of the engine and nothing came out, just a little puff of gas and that was it. Went and got 1 can of 12oz coolant and added it and presto AC turned on. It leaked out about 3 weeks and since I bought the UV leak detecting coolant, I thought I might see where the hole is. But no I couldn't find where the leak is so I got a can of stop leak and added that in to the lines, that seemed to have stopped the leak since it was propably a very small one somewhere where I can't see. So get yourself a UV kit and try to find where the leak is. If its big you should see a neon green color all over where the leak is. And then you can order what ever part is leaking and fix it yourself. In my case the leak was somwhere hidden and really small, so the stop leak has worked. But if its a big gash, then only replacing the failed part will solve your problem.
    thanks for the reply, im def gonna check this out. Look for this valve you speak of, then ill go ahead and get some UV leak detecting coolant see if i can find something.

btw, can i fill up the AC myself? [its coolant i have to buy for the ac?]

Quote Originally Posted by ezzzey View Post
    how would i know?

Im pretty newb at this ac components. All i can say is, when i press the AC button, my cars engine idle doesnt change, as if the compressor or nothing turns on.
    With the car off, disconnect the wiring to the compressor. On the end that leads to the compressor you'll see three leads. Two of them make a U and end at each other. The third one connects to the compressor. Connect a wire from this third connection to the positive terminal of your battery. If the magnetic clutch still works you'll hear a click and can see the clutch pull in.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

first i would check the fuse to the ac compressor. then if the fuse was good i would check to see if you are getting power to the clutch wire. yes you can "refill" your ac system with refrigerant. you need r134a refrigerant for your car. but if there is a leak you should try to find it.
    p.s. dont put stop leak in your system it will only cause you more problems down the road.

Sounds stupid, but i'd check the belt that drives the compressor too. I had the exact same prob with my WRX. Looked in the engine bay and the belt had frayed and snapped off. It was flapping about in the engine bay....at least I found out what the weird noise coming from under the hood was

i would check the belt and fuse too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

if there is no aircon gas. then the compressor clutch will not engage.. and when u switch on or off the idle will not change either..

regas and it will work... but also check for leaks or you will be regassing quite often