High idle..

This is a discussion on High idle.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I bought a used (subaru certified) '06 WRX in the recent past with 15k miles on it. Everytime I ...

High idle..

So, I bought a used (subaru certified) '06 WRX in the recent past with 15k miles on it. Everytime I turn on the engine (unless the engine is already hot from only have been off a few mins) it idles at around 1,500 rpms. I cant remember this happening with other cars ive had. It will idle there for a few mins and slooowly come down. But I usually dont wait long enough for it to come down before i start driving, unless its cold outside. Once i start driving after a few mins, it starts to normally idle around 600 or so. I havent experienced any problems yet, i just didnt know if this was very abnormal or not? Any thoughts or explanations would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds normal to me. Happened with my Celica all the time.
    Blobeye Syndicate #018

2005 WRB WRXTi Stage-2

I Support ClubWRX
    Normal. My 06 does it as well.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Normal on any car.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Perfectly normal. The computer raises the idle rpm when the engine is cold to try to warm it up more quickly. Nothing to worry about. It helps get the fluids warm and flowing, warms up the cat to help with emissions, warms up the combustion chambers to reduce emissions, etc.

Back in the days of carburetors, you would have to sit there with it "racing" for a few minutes, then tap the accelerator to "kick it down." I had an old Monte Carlo that did it. It was annoying.

holla, thanks for the input everyone.