Subaru WRX Forum banner

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

49K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  Jusino 
#1 ·
Well for the people that SD_GR has convinced to follow service intervals for warranty reasons (like myself) and for those who dont find there way over to Nasioc here is a copy and paste from a TSB Subaru sent out.

From the May2007 TechTIPS bulletin:

We have received several inquires into the engine oil requirements for 2005MY and later vehicles. The owners’ manual refers to ILSAC and API oil grades, but you may ask “what are they”?

There are several organizations that develop, categorize, and license oil grades. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) are involved in the performance parameters of oil development, but we will limit this discussion to the ILSAC and API organizations.

1) ILSAC – International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee. This committee is made up of American and Foreign Automotive Manufacturers that develop the standards/requirements for oil grades.

2) API – American Petroleum Institute. This organization licenses the approved oil with an API certification mark (‘starburst’ mark) which identifies the oil as meeting the current requirements set forth by ILSAC. The API also has a symbol of the ‘donut’ which contains their own API category identification, oil viscosity, and energy conserving designation, if applicable. The API has their own set of categories to identify oil grades. Prior to ILSAC’s inception, the API was the only organization to develop oil grade standards.

Since ILSAC’s existence in 1992, they have developed 4 different categories of oil grades, they are:
GF-1 first appeared in 1996
GF-2 first appeared in 1997
GF-3 first appeared in 2001
GF-4 first appeared in 2004

The categories are backwards-compatible with all previous categories, however they are not cross-compatible. For instance, GF-4 can be used in-lieu of GF-3, but GF-3 cannot be used when GF-4 is required.

API has a total of 11 gasoline engine categories in their history, starting with SA through SM (SI and SK have been omitted from the sequence).

Since the new GF-1 category, the API has worked to standardize their categories with the ILSAC standards. Although the categories are not entirely similar, they are compatible up to the current category. API has a separate energy conserving designation “Energy Conserving” which must be present for compatibility with the ILSAC categories.

Compatibility Chart
GF-1 / SH (Energy Conserving)
GF-2 / SJ (Energy Conserving)
GF-3 / SL (Energy Conserving)
GF-4 / SM (Energy Conserving)

All 2005MY:
Oil grade: ILSAC: GF-3 - or - API: SL (Energy Conserving) if not available SJ (Energy Conserving) may be used, SL is still the preferred grade.

All 2006MY and later:
Oil grade: ILSAC: GF-4 - or - API: SM (Energy Conserving)

GF-3 cannot be used in any 2006MY or later Subaru vehicles. The GF-4 category oil has the lowest phosphorus content of any oil preceding it. Phosphorus has been found to reduce the effectiveness and longevity of the emission system. There are several other important changes that were implemented to increase fuel economy and overall longevity of the engine.
Although most oils will contain both the GF-4 and SM (Energy Conserving) designation, it only needs to meet “GF-4” OR “SM”.

Currently the FHI/SIA factory fill oil is 0W-20 mineral oil for the H4 SOHC(w/o VVL) and 5W-30 mineral oil for all others. The oil is designated as SM and GF-4 and is manufactured by Shin-Nihon Petroleum (FHI) and Shell (SIA).

Clarifications:
1) Synthetic oil can be safely used provided the viscosity and oil grade classifications as noted in the Owners Manual are used. The oil change interval noted in the maintenance schedule must still be adhered to.
2) Severe Driving Conditions will require the oil change interval to be increased to 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. New for 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:
Use a GF4/SM oil if you have a 2006 or later Subaru
change your oil at 3750 miles
use synthetic if you want

List of GF-4 (or SM) approved oils:
Castrol Syntec 5w30
Redline Synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Mobil1 (classic, non-supersyn) 5w30

What is NOT GF-4 (or SM) approved?
-Royal Purple
-Motul
-Mobil1 SuperSyn

Shamelessly taken from nhlurh.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks for that 302@12PSI. Their new 3750 interval IMO puts them squarely in laughing stock territory. I wonder if it's the SM oils or what, since their motor is actually well thought out, and they know this as well as we do.

I think it's important people follow the new interval in the TSB for 08 regardless. I wonder if owners are being notified though?

EDIT: Can you comment on the banjo bolt screen filter issue?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1258912&highlight=oil+tsb
Any clarification re: is this why they've gone back to 1980-era service intervals or if problems are popping up like the tech in the linked thread (link within link) implies?

#3 ·
I have no idea if they are notifying owners or not. From what I have gathered through they are recommending the 3750 FOR ALL of there turbo motors (this isnt comfirmed). They are going to recommend it for the 2008+ turbo motors.

I think there logic is if we tell people they can go 5k they will go 6-7k. If we tell people they can go 7k in PERFECT conditions but recommend 3750 for most conditions, then people will try to go 7k no matter what.

Now if they are saying go 3750 and people stretch it out to 5k instead of going over 7k it will probaly help their warranty program alot.

I'm sure there are enough posts oil anaylizes to stretch it out to 5k. But under warranty it should be noted to follow Subarus recommended interval and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.

#4 ·
...under warranty it should be noted to follow Subarus recommended interval and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.
Wiser words have never been spoken!

I've got a binder with the stuff. Go buy some loose clear plastic binder pages, put dated receipts in them, and just keep the stuff.

The one time I had a minor gasket leak oil under warranty and asked that it be replaced, they said they'd do the valve cover gaskets too since they were in there and it's a popular item (?!). I asked if they wanted to see my receipts, but the guy stared at the binder with the organized plastic pages and highlighted dates in total terror and said "no!" and that was that. Keep receipts and do what they ask as far as warranty goes.

#5 ·
I just spent some time reading about those banjo bolts. It appears that they are more then likely a 2.5 motor issue as I only hear about them in LGT, Baja, FXT's, 2004 STI's. Now the questions that needs to be answered is are they still being used? Will they be part of a recommended repair interval (which sounds costly) or will Subaru "recall" (I doubt) the screens, or finally if you blow a motor and have oil receipts and followed intervals but out of warranty will they "good" faith it based on these findings.

I would think you'd have a great argument for them to "good" faith it if you have maintained intervals. I do see them being VERY pickey on the intervals, receipts, and proper oil weight (every car company wants receipts these days).

If I had more "pull" over on Nasioc I would start to PM/get in touch with Cobb, Axis, Crawford and any other motor builder and see if they have experianced this. If this is being over looked on rebuilds it would explain why there is a fair amount of "built" motors bitting the dust. I'm sure there are a few more containments coming off the motors of a "built" motor compared to a OEM one.

Hmmm.....rumors and speculation at this point.

It is however FACT that the banjo bolts are in some 05 LGT's, have been made aware to SOA, have caused failures, Subaru has changed interval ratings on all turbo motors, and will no doubt be a stickler for proof of oil changes and that they were done properly.

Stay tuned folks.

#6 ·
The way I read it, the banjo bolts are an issue on AVCS motors, correct? That means that US cars sold before 2004 (STi) and whatever year the WRX switched (don't know) should not have an issue -- and from what people are posting, they're not. It's the later cars with the later valvetrains that are seeing issues it seems. Hopefully it'll be limited to very few cars all still under warranty.

#7 · (Edited)
I think this is a different issue. The 04's had a screen in the AVCS but this is supposed to be a screen in the oil feed line. Should be two different issues.

It appears to be 2.5 turbo related (which as far as I know they all have AVCS).

#8 ·
Once again I think this could be a factor in why a TON of 2.5 built motors are giving up well before they should be.
That's an interesting observation. If true it makes a sort of statement about both Subaru and the motor builders IMO -- OK, Subaru made a mess and they sorted it somewhat, albeit grabasstically, later on. Fine. But what about motor builders? If the screens are causing oil starvation on their motors, does that imply that all they do to those oil lines is steam clean the outside? If they removed the bolts and ran all the lines and all the galleys, they'd have seen the issue even before Subaru, right?

#10 ·
They'd miss it if all they do is steam clean the lines on the outside to make them nice and shiny and call it a day on that front, opting instead to add whatever fancy components they favor to the block without really knowing if there's oil reaching everywhere. Years of experience will do that, build confidence, but when the real engine maker changes something and doesn't tell anyone outside their operation (why should they, after all) issues could pop up. Just a theory, may be insane for all I know, just talking.

#11 ·
Yup...I'll toss in a disclaimer I am by no means an engine builder or am I attempted to come off as one. Just attempting to put peices of the puzzle together.

The main focus of this thread was to heighten awareness of Subaru's new oil change policy regarding their 2.5 turbo motors. They are now all considered "harsh conditions" and require more frequrent oil changes.

The oil screen talk is just a FYI/Speculation on my part. The screen is in the banjo bolts and for all I know each and every engine builder inspects/replaces these. It's all speculation.

We'll see what Subaru decides to do. It appears they are fairly confidence that mandating oil changes at 3750 will prevent the screen from clogging (this might be a joint effort from their engineers and accountating department through).

It should probaly be a replaced part on any motor rebuild and for timing belts since you are usually really close to it.

I personally feel that Subaru (as did several German companys) upped the interval rate forgetting we are Americans. I feel that many people will PUSH the interval past what they are told. I for one run my daily driver until I get around to it. The Subaru gets 3,000-3,500 until warranty expires.

I feel that many people dont follow intervals. For instance they were told when they bought the car it can be changed every 7,500 miles. OH GEE That's great...but they live in high heat/very cold temptures and sit in traffic for 30 mins a day. So when you finally get around to the oil change at possible 8k-8500 miles things start to go bad.

#12 ·
We'll have to wait and see how the dust settles and what, if any, changes are made to 08+ motors. Your comment re: accounting is IMO well put, as recalling all the vehicles to sort out the filter issues would cost SOA money, whereas shortening the OCI will... make them money.

OTOH oil is dirt cheap in the US so the only reason to not perform the maintenance in a semi-regular manner is sloth or apathy I guess. I have a car in Europe and it costs me twice as much to change the oil in that car, even using a semi-synth there vs. a full synth in the US. People go 10,000 kms on an OCI there a lot from what I see. Cost drives almost everything.

What does disappoint me though is that shortening the OCI on SOA's part has an environmental impact, as did increasing motor displacement in 04-06. That's a shame.

#14 ·
A little bump...member on Nasioc confirmed the filter was in place on his 2005 STI.

He has pictures/write up which I'll link later.

He only found 3 tiny peices of FOD in the filter....which I assume isnt bad depending on miles/change intervals. It's always good to see a FILTER with things in it but the filter is so small I highly doubt anything remotely large will pass through.

In order words the filter had 3 things in it...it's either not filtering right (I doubt it) OR it's a mute point. Sludge isnt a good thing to have on any filter through.

#15 ·
I find that list a little strange since my dealership which is the Subaru Canada flagship dealership (owned and operated by them) uses Motul 8100 as their highest available oil -- even though the bottle says its only API SL/CF. :confused:

Also, their service and maintenance guide has always said to change oil every 6000 km which is 3750 miles... SOA's change interval hasn't always been this?

Its weird how SOA and Subaru Canada have different policies :confused:

#17 ·
Agreed. I just thought there would be a standard maintenance guide stating the same oil grades and same oil change interval since they both deal with the same cars in similar climates (at least in the northern states). This gets me confused when I hear Motul is not approved in the US, but is offered up here... it makes me question if I'm hurting my car in the long run or not.

#18 ·
I noticed my local Subaru Dealership sells Royal Purple and reccomends it wtf :confused:

#19 ·
So if I have Castrol Syntec 0w30 in my '06 2.5i, and the Castrol Syntec is rated at ILSAC GF-3 and API SL, and from what I gathered from this thread is that I should have an oil that meets GF-4/SM requirements. Will my car blow up or any negatives come from it? I've got 41k on it and this last oil change(300miles ago) was the first time I put this oil in it. I was previously puttin Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30. I've got some money so even though this oil is only 300 miles old I'm takin out today!

#22 ·
Yes its outta warranty, it expired at 30k. I checked and the mobil 1 does meet GF-4 SM standards so up until this change I was ok. I had heard that the Syntec was a very good oil, the only one meeting BMW's standards. I'll just change it at the regular interval, I usually go 5k. Thanks for the speedy responses guys.

On a side note, I changed my tranny fluid at 35k and put in USC, not because I was having problems shifting but because I'd read that its pretty good for curing "notchyness" so I figured it would be like preventative maintenence. It's holding up fine after 6k, even when I double clutch down to first smooth as butter. Reverse doesn't want to slide in sometimes on the first start, have to let it roll back a bit then no problem. I'm thinkin of trying just the redline combo next time, maybe at 45k if I have some extra money.

#24 ·
I thought you meant the 3yr/30k maintanence warranty. Thanks for all the info, I'm not too worried about it, Syntec is a really good oil(from what my friend tells me, and he's thourough on his research to the point of anal retentiveness) and the mobil 1 I was puttin in it meets GF-4/SM standards. So I guess for another 3yrs or 19k I'll keep with the warranty specs.

#26 ·
The mobil site states that their oils with supersyn technology are GF-4 and SM approved oils.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp
Is this a different oil that what was posted as not approved?
Of course Mobil 1 wants you to use it, but Subaru specifically recommends against the Super Syn. I do notice that their website seems to have changed on that product, although I know last time I checked oil at the store the Super Syn wasn't Sm "energy conserving" . Could be a typo.

#31 ·
Mobil 1 is fine. Thinking you won't need to change your oil until 5000 miles is absurd. Any more than around 3000 is taking a chance. Yes, some of the synthetic oils used today can last sometimes up to 5000, 10000, 15000 miles. BUT, there is NO oil filter that is any sort of effective after 3500-4000. Anytime cars come in on their scheduled 5000 mile or more oil change, there is little oil left, it has the consistency of water, is blacker than dirty diesel oil, and the filters are literally falling apart. Just thought I should share that. You want black water lubricating that engine and awesome turbo of yours?

#32 · (Edited)
BUT, there is NO oil filter that is any sort of effective after 3500-4000. Anytime cars come in on their scheduled 5000 mile or more oil change, there is little oil left, it has the consistency of water, is blacker than dirty diesel oil, and the filters are literally falling apart. Just thought I should share that. You want black water lubricating that engine and awesome turbo of yours?
Abundant data have established that the service life of an OEM filter in a vehicle with OEM air filtration comfortably exceeds the oil change interval. For example, at 5800 mi with correct intake and M1 5W-40 the measured particulates were well below max, meaning my car could have easily done 7500++. I have seen no analyses showing excess particulates where the oil filter was inadequate; that's not saying the data are not there, but rather that if they are then I have not run across them. If the OEM filters are failing SOA needs to know; they have recalled batches in the past.

EDIT: Checked my oil filter collection tonight. I've kept all the oil filters used on my car since early 2003. I estimate that ten or so of those filters have seen more than 5,000 miles (I'm not counting the ones where the oil change was done at less, even if it's a few miles less, and I'm not digging in that one messy drawer in the garage -- everyone must have one -- but only looking in the shoe box with the main stash of used filters). I've not recorded any issues with the filters in my notes either. I do know some xxx100 units leaked, but they were recalled.

#33 ·
Very interesting. Well, not to be Subaru specific, my experience with most vehicles over 3500-4000k have oil properties as I listed prior. And filters, especially cartridge type (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Volvo) disintegrate and have actually clogged oil passageways, galleys, or caused physical damage to the housing. I've changed motors on two BMWs with 15000k oil change intervals due to lockup and sludge. And I'm sure BMW has lots of data on oil life too. But, it still happened. Low level ozone and atmosphere conditions also play a large part in shortening the effectiveness of oil as well.

#34 ·
It's interesting you mentioned BMW. Do you know if the oil used in the motors you had to replace met BMW Long Life specs? LL-01 would be something like M1 0W-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, and I know of no LL-04 oils sold in the US (but I'd love to hear of any and even try them in one of my non-BMW cars).

Since modern BMWs do (and should) require relatively extended oil change intervals I wonder if the failures were due to the owner, the dealer, or both following the interval requirement but failing to follow the oil specification requirement. I say this since you mentioned sludge specifically.

The Subaru motor seems to be relatively easier on oil than famous "hard" motors like some Toyotas with cam train designs that were "ideal" for beating up oils and causing sludge, and I've not heard of sludge on our motors. I have heard of clocked galleys due to a bad filter, but it was not mileage-related as far as I remember and it was also not an OEM filter).

Are the cartridge-type filters you've seen fail made by Mann or?

#35 ·
I owned a 2005 MCS (built and owned by BMW) with a cartridge type oil filter and 15,000 mile service interval. Factory oil was made for BMW by (said on bottle) and oil cap stated required Castrol Syntech 5w30. Personally I liked the cartridge type oil filters in that there was no "smoke and mirrors". You weren't getting a candy coated pretty pile of crap, all that was in the box was the element and an o ring. Servicing was easier, there was no cutting of the can necessary, you could see exactly what was being filtered.

I actual prefer that type of filter. I never experienced "sludging" or "blockage", but then again my OCD mandated 7500 mile service intervals instead of 15,000. ;)

#38 ·
Yes I hear very good things about the imported Castrol and as you said it's BMW LL-01.

Potentially interesting oil "news" many arrive with the BMW 325d. This is a turbodiesel 3-series and will be sold in all states, implying there will be an oil that will be required for it that should be LL-04 or better (?).

Is your Castrol green in colour (at least initially)? It's harder to find in my area than M1 0W-40 (incidentally another BMW LL-01 oil) so I just go with M1 -- but I'd not hesitate to use the Castrol either.

In general if something is BMW LL-0x, MB 229.x, VW 50x.x or ACEA A3 it's IMO very reassuring.

#39 ·
Its kinda green, not like antifreeze though. My buddy said it used to be way green.

Ya, even though its not a ISLAC GF-4 or API-SM, I'm not worried, just wont tell my subaru dealer.

BMW is comin out with a turbodiesel 325? I know you said all states, but really in cali? When I heard about Suby's turbodiesel I've been dreamin about one since. Specially not having to give up the all wheel drive. And I hate the prisus/other hybrids cause they do nothing to deal with the whole gasoline is a limited resource thing.

#41 ·
I didn't even drive one, but from what I've read...WOW.

Even the 325d, which has 200hp, and closer to 300ft/lbs of torque.
Ya theres the fact that depending on where you are, you could pay close to $4.00/gal for diesel. But the options to bio/veggie diesel are endless! The diesel motor was originally designed to run off of soybean oil.(not BMW's, the first diesel ever built, over 100yrs ago or so.) How nice would it be to pull up to a red light next to a prius, with the driver being so self satisfied and smug just cause they have a hybrid and you smoke them off the line and they smell not the classic oil burning diesel smell, but the smell of donuts cause you just filled up behind your local donut shop...:cool:

Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread.

#43 ·
Is it though? Consider the wording:

It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications...

There's no API symbol on the pictured container. I have no reason to doubt their claim that this is a suitable oil, but I'd not use it for warranty purposes as they may not have actually gone through the process of getting the API rating (I'd consider it after warranty, and I believe a member here uses it in AZ in his WRX if memory serves).

Good find, thanks for looking into this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.