Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well for the people that SD_GR has convinced to follow service intervals for warranty reasons (like myself) and for those ...

I Support ClubWRX

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

Well for the people that SD_GR has convinced to follow service intervals for warranty reasons (like myself) and for those who dont find there way over to Nasioc here is a copy and paste from a TSB Subaru sent out.

From the May2007 TechTIPS bulletin:

We have received several inquires into the engine oil requirements for 2005MY and later vehicles. The owners’ manual refers to ILSAC and API oil grades, but you may ask “what are they”?

There are several organizations that develop, categorize, and license oil grades. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) are involved in the performance parameters of oil development, but we will limit this discussion to the ILSAC and API organizations.

1) ILSAC – International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee. This committee is made up of American and Foreign Automotive Manufacturers that develop the standards/requirements for oil grades.

2) API – American Petroleum Institute. This organization licenses the approved oil with an API certification mark (‘starburst’ mark) which identifies the oil as meeting the current requirements set forth by ILSAC. The API also has a symbol of the ‘donut’ which contains their own API category identification, oil viscosity, and energy conserving designation, if applicable. The API has their own set of categories to identify oil grades. Prior to ILSAC’s inception, the API was the only organization to develop oil grade standards.

Since ILSAC’s existence in 1992, they have developed 4 different categories of oil grades, they are:
    GF-1 first appeared in 1996
    GF-2 first appeared in 1997
    GF-3 first appeared in 2001
    GF-4 first appeared in 2004

The categories are backwards-compatible with all previous categories, however they are not cross-compatible. For instance, GF-4 can be used in-lieu of GF-3, but GF-3 cannot be used when GF-4 is required.

API has a total of 11 gasoline engine categories in their history, starting with SA through SM (SI and SK have been omitted from the sequence).

Since the new GF-1 category, the API has worked to standardize their categories with the ILSAC standards. Although the categories are not entirely similar, they are compatible up to the current category. API has a separate energy conserving designation “Energy Conserving” which must be present for compatibility with the ILSAC categories.

Compatibility Chart
    GF-1 / SH (Energy Conserving)
    GF-2 / SJ (Energy Conserving)
    GF-3 / SL (Energy Conserving)
    GF-4 / SM (Energy Conserving)

All 2005MY:
    Oil grade: ILSAC: GF-3 - or - API: SL (Energy Conserving) if not available SJ (Energy Conserving) may be used, SL is still the preferred grade.

All 2006MY and later:
    Oil grade: ILSAC: GF-4 - or - API: SM (Energy Conserving)

GF-3 cannot be used in any 2006MY or later Subaru vehicles. The GF-4 category oil has the lowest phosphorus content of any oil preceding it. Phosphorus has been found to reduce the effectiveness and longevity of the emission system. There are several other important changes that were implemented to increase fuel economy and overall longevity of the engine.
    Although most oils will contain both the GF-4 and SM (Energy Conserving) designation, it only needs to meet “GF-4” OR “SM”.

Currently the FHI/SIA factory fill oil is 0W-20 mineral oil for the H4 SOHC(w/o VVL) and 5W-30 mineral oil for all others. The oil is designated as SM and GF-4 and is manufactured by Shin-Nihon Petroleum (FHI) and Shell (SIA).

Clarifications:
    1) Synthetic oil can be safely used provided the viscosity and oil grade classifications as noted in the Owners Manual are used. The oil change interval noted in the maintenance schedule must still be adhered to.
    2) Severe Driving Conditions will require the oil change interval to be increased to 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. New for 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:
    Use a GF4/SM oil if you have a 2006 or later Subaru
    change your oil at 3750 miles
    use synthetic if you want

List of GF-4 (or SM) approved oils:
    Castrol Syntec 5w30
    Redline Synthetic 5w30
    Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
    Mobil1 (classic, non-supersyn) 5w30

What is NOT GF-4 (or SM) approved?
    -Royal Purple
    -Motul
    -Mobil1 SuperSyn

Shamelessly taken from nhlurh.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for that 302@12PSI. Their new 3750 interval IMO puts them squarely in laughing stock territory. I wonder if it's the SM oils or what, since their motor is actually well thought out, and they know this as well as we do.

I think it's important people follow the new interval in the TSB for 08 regardless. I wonder if owners are being notified though?

EDIT: Can you comment on the banjo bolt screen filter issue?
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=oil+tsb
    Any clarification re: is this why they've gone back to 1980-era service intervals or if problems are popping up like the tech in the linked thread (link within link) implies?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-07-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no idea if they are notifying owners or not. From what I have gathered through they are recommending the 3750 FOR ALL of there turbo motors (this isnt comfirmed). They are going to recommend it for the 2008+ turbo motors.

I think there logic is if we tell people they can go 5k they will go 6-7k. If we tell people they can go 7k in PERFECT conditions but recommend 3750 for most conditions, then people will try to go 7k no matter what.

Now if they are saying go 3750 and people stretch it out to 5k instead of going over 7k it will probaly help their warranty program alot.

I'm sure there are enough posts oil anaylizes to stretch it out to 5k. But under warranty it should be noted to follow Subarus recommended interval and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    ...under warranty it should be noted to follow Subarus recommended interval and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.
    Wiser words have never been spoken!

I've got a binder with the stuff. Go buy some loose clear plastic binder pages, put dated receipts in them, and just keep the stuff.

The one time I had a minor gasket leak oil under warranty and asked that it be replaced, they said they'd do the valve cover gaskets too since they were in there and it's a popular item (?!). I asked if they wanted to see my receipts, but the guy stared at the binder with the organized plastic pages and highlighted dates in total terror and said "no!" and that was that. Keep receipts and do what they ask as far as warranty goes.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just spent some time reading about those banjo bolts. It appears that they are more then likely a 2.5 motor issue as I only hear about them in LGT, Baja, FXT's, 2004 STI's. Now the questions that needs to be answered is are they still being used? Will they be part of a recommended repair interval (which sounds costly) or will Subaru "recall" (I doubt) the screens, or finally if you blow a motor and have oil receipts and followed intervals but out of warranty will they "good" faith it based on these findings.

I would think you'd have a great argument for them to "good" faith it if you have maintained intervals. I do see them being VERY pickey on the intervals, receipts, and proper oil weight (every car company wants receipts these days).

If I had more "pull" over on Nasioc I would start to PM/get in touch with Cobb, Axis, Crawford and any other motor builder and see if they have experianced this. If this is being over looked on rebuilds it would explain why there is a fair amount of "built" motors bitting the dust. I'm sure there are a few more containments coming off the motors of a "built" motor compared to a OEM one.

Hmmm.....rumors and speculation at this point.

It is however FACT that the banjo bolts are in some 05 LGT's, have been made aware to SOA, have caused failures, Subaru has changed interval ratings on all turbo motors, and will no doubt be a stickler for proof of oil changes and that they were done properly.

Stay tuned folks.

I Support ClubWRX
    The way I read it, the banjo bolts are an issue on AVCS motors, correct? That means that US cars sold before 2004 (STi) and whatever year the WRX switched (don't know) should not have an issue -- and from what people are posting, they're not. It's the later cars with the later valvetrains that are seeing issues it seems. Hopefully it'll be limited to very few cars all still under warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think this is a different issue. The 04's had a screen in the AVCS but this is supposed to be a screen in the oil feed line. Should be two different issues.

It appears to be 2.5 turbo related (which as far as I know they all have AVCS).
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 05-07-2007 at 08:17 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Once again I think this could be a factor in why a TON of 2.5 built motors are giving up well before they should be.
    That's an interesting observation. If true it makes a sort of statement about both Subaru and the motor builders IMO -- OK, Subaru made a mess and they sorted it somewhat, albeit grabasstically, later on. Fine. But what about motor builders? If the screens are causing oil starvation on their motors, does that imply that all they do to those oil lines is steam clean the outside? If they removed the bolts and ran all the lines and all the galleys, they'd have seen the issue even before Subaru, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's an interesting observation. If true it makes a sort of statement about both Subaru and the motor builders IMO -- OK, Subaru made a mess and they sorted it somewhat, albeit grabasstically, later on. Fine. But what about motor builders? If the screens are causing oil starvation on their motors, does that imply that all they do to those oil lines is steam clean the outside? If they removed the bolts and ran all the lines and all the galleys, they'd have seen the issue even before Subaru, right?
    Yes, but having this be the first time it's been brought up you'd think of a builder ran into this issue they'd make it known other then just keeping it to themselfs. I guess it's possible they would be hush hush in order to sell theres over others but you think it would have leaked at some point.

I really dont understand how a builder would miss this, but it seems there are a ton of 2.5's bitting the dust.

I Support ClubWRX
    They'd miss it if all they do is steam clean the lines on the outside to make them nice and shiny and call it a day on that front, opting instead to add whatever fancy components they favor to the block without really knowing if there's oil reaching everywhere. Years of experience will do that, build confidence, but when the real engine maker changes something and doesn't tell anyone outside their operation (why should they, after all) issues could pop up. Just a theory, may be insane for all I know, just talking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup...I'll toss in a disclaimer I am by no means an engine builder or am I attempted to come off as one. Just attempting to put peices of the puzzle together.

The main focus of this thread was to heighten awareness of Subaru's new oil change policy regarding their 2.5 turbo motors. They are now all considered "harsh conditions" and require more frequrent oil changes.

The oil screen talk is just a FYI/Speculation on my part. The screen is in the banjo bolts and for all I know each and every engine builder inspects/replaces these. It's all speculation.

We'll see what Subaru decides to do. It appears they are fairly confidence that mandating oil changes at 3750 will prevent the screen from clogging (this might be a joint effort from their engineers and accountating department through).

It should probaly be a replaced part on any motor rebuild and for timing belts since you are usually really close to it.

I personally feel that Subaru (as did several German companys) upped the interval rate forgetting we are Americans. I feel that many people will PUSH the interval past what they are told. I for one run my daily driver until I get around to it. The Subaru gets 3,000-3,500 until warranty expires.

I feel that many people dont follow intervals. For instance they were told when they bought the car it can be changed every 7,500 miles. OH GEE That's great...but they live in high heat/very cold temptures and sit in traffic for 30 mins a day. So when you finally get around to the oil change at possible 8k-8500 miles things start to go bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    We'll have to wait and see how the dust settles and what, if any, changes are made to 08+ motors. Your comment re: accounting is IMO well put, as recalling all the vehicles to sort out the filter issues would cost SOA money, whereas shortening the OCI will... make them money.

OTOH oil is dirt cheap in the US so the only reason to not perform the maintenance in a semi-regular manner is sloth or apathy I guess. I have a car in Europe and it costs me twice as much to change the oil in that car, even using a semi-synth there vs. a full synth in the US. People go 10,000 kms on an OCI there a lot from what I see. Cost drives almost everything.

What does disappoint me though is that shortening the OCI on SOA's part has an environmental impact, as did increasing motor displacement in 04-06. That's a shame.

thanks for the heads up 302. now I just have to decide which one I am going to use for my next oil change...
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    A little bump...member on Nasioc confirmed the filter was in place on his 2005 STI.

He has pictures/write up which I'll link later.

He only found 3 tiny peices of FOD in the filter....which I assume isnt bad depending on miles/change intervals. It's always good to see a FILTER with things in it but the filter is so small I highly doubt anything remotely large will pass through.

In order words the filter had 3 things in it...it's either not filtering right (I doubt it) OR it's a mute point. Sludge isnt a good thing to have on any filter through.

I find that list a little strange since my dealership which is the Subaru Canada flagship dealership (owned and operated by them) uses Motul 8100 as their highest available oil -- even though the bottle says its only API SL/CF.

Also, their service and maintenance guide has always said to change oil every 6000 km which is 3750 miles... SOA's change interval hasn't always been this?

Its weird how SOA and Subaru Canada have different policies
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast