Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't have a wrx yet, but this thread interested me. I agree that the cannister style filters are much ...

I don't have a wrx yet, but this thread interested me. I agree that the cannister style filters are much nicer and easier to read without all the cutting. I have a boxer engine in the other car and I change the filter out 2500k miles and the oil at 5k. I was running Amsoil but switched to M1 0w30 because of availability. I haven't done any analysis on the oil but after I started switching the filter out on more frequent intervals it keeps the oil looking cleaner and doesn't smell as burnt. Probably partly due to the slight replenishment of detergents from topping off the canister with fresh oil. Maybe it's not necessary, but changing out the filter is cheap and gives me peace of mind

*edit* sorry didn't mean to bring back an old thread, i just noticed the dates on the previous posts. I'm new to the forum =P
    Photography | Cryptography & Lock Breaching
    Rocket Surgery | Circuit Bending & Design
    Metal Fabrication | Screen Printing
    Closed Track (AMA and Open Days) | Support your local BarCamp!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I disagree with the original post. Mobil 1 Super Syn is GF-4 and the original post is not the TSB.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    In any event, the normal Mobil 1 works great, is approved, and is cheaper so personally I'd stick with that.
    I thought that Mobil 1 is bad for our engines. I have an 02 wrx and I plan on doin an oil change soon but what oil and viscosity should I use? I heard that Valvoline Synpower is good but don't know if thats true.

anybody?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
    anybody?
    The answers are already in this thread, its links, and the owner's manual. Pick the correct viscosity and specification and follow the stated service interval.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The answers are already in this thread, its links, and the owner's manual. Pick the correct viscosity and specification and follow the stated service interval.
    I haven't found any info if Mobil 1 is bad in this thread.

synthetic oil question

I just bought a '09 WRX the dealer told me if I wanted to switch to synthetic that I should do it within the first 1,000 miles. Is this something that you all recommend?
    Grant | Stink Eye-Mob #133 | '09 WRX Premium
    STI Short Shifter, 25mm Front Sway Bar, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Endlinks, Perrin Stealth (Black) Turbo back exhaust
    Pictures of My WRX http://www.flickr.com/photos/37962357@N02/

I Support ClubWRX
    Pick an oil that meets exactly the specifications required by Subaru for the warranty. Also keep exactly the service interval required. File all your receipts for warranty purposes. I use synthetic on two of my cars, regular on the third, and either on the fourth.

EDIT: There's been talk of switching to synthetic after the motor has some miles on it, say 10K, in the past. It's what I happened to do personally. Some do this, some switch right away, some never use synthetic.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-25-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Should I change the oil I use since I put in an sti turbo in my 06 WRX?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    If you mean "perform an oil change" it would not hurt but if you were careful not to contaminate the line with gunk you should be OK.

If you mean "change type or viscosity or brand of oil I use" then nobody can answer that without knowing how well what you are using now is working. The way to get that information is to send a sample out for used oil analysis. A safe bet is to simply use the viscosity and grade recommended for the STi model -- whether this differs from what Subaru specify for the WRX non-STi model, I do not know.

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

a little something i found on oil. enjoy...
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.