Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; They're different companies. Their main concern with regard to one another is to avoid competition (US cars in CA, CA ...

I Support ClubWRX
    They're different companies. Their main concern with regard to one another is to avoid competition (US cars in CA, CA cars in US). Other than that, no relation.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    They're different companies. Their main concern with regard to one another is to avoid competition (US cars in CA, CA cars in US). Other than that, no relation.
    Agreed. I just thought there would be a standard maintenance guide stating the same oil grades and same oil change interval since they both deal with the same cars in similar climates (at least in the northern states). This gets me confused when I hear Motul is not approved in the US, but is offered up here... it makes me question if I'm hurting my car in the long run or not.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I noticed my local Subaru Dealership sells Royal Purple and reccomends it wtf
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

So if I have Castrol Syntec 0w30 in my '06 2.5i, and the Castrol Syntec is rated at ILSAC GF-3 and API SL, and from what I gathered from this thread is that I should have an oil that meets GF-4/SM requirements. Will my car blow up or any negatives come from it? I've got 41k on it and this last oil change(300miles ago) was the first time I put this oil in it. I was previously puttin Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30. I've got some money so even though this oil is only 300 miles old I'm takin out today!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyphotog View Post
    So if I have Castrol Syntec 0w30 in my '06 2.5i, and the Castrol Syntec is rated at ILSAC GF-3 and API SL, and from what I gathered from this thread is that I should have an oil that meets GF-4/SM requirements. Will my car blow up or any negatives come from it? I've got 41k on it and this last oil change(300miles ago) was the first time I put this oil in it. I was previously puttin Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30. I've got some money so even though this oil is only 300 miles old I'm takin out today!

Yeah it need either be GF4 or API SM. Since you hit neither of them, I'd change it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyphotog View Post
    Is it out of warranty? If it is then I'd keep what you got in there and just swap it out at 3k. Honestly it shouldnt matter unless you are trying to adhere to the warranty requirements for the powertrain.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Yes its outta warranty, it expired at 30k. I checked and the mobil 1 does meet GF-4 SM standards so up until this change I was ok. I had heard that the Syntec was a very good oil, the only one meeting BMW's standards. I'll just change it at the regular interval, I usually go 5k. Thanks for the speedy responses guys.

On a side note, I changed my tranny fluid at 35k and put in USC, not because I was having problems shifting but because I'd read that its pretty good for curing "notchyness" so I figured it would be like preventative maintenence. It's holding up fine after 6k, even when I double clutch down to first smooth as butter. Reverse doesn't want to slide in sometimes on the first start, have to let it roll back a bit then no problem. I'm thinkin of trying just the redline combo next time, maybe at 45k if I have some extra money.

I Support ClubWRX
    Powertrain warranty is 5 year/ 60k miles
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I thought you meant the 3yr/30k maintanence warranty. Thanks for all the info, I'm not too worried about it, Syntec is a really good oil(from what my friend tells me, and he's thourough on his research to the point of anal retentiveness) and the mobil 1 I was puttin in it meets GF-4/SM standards. So I guess for another 3yrs or 19k I'll keep with the warranty specs.

c1k
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    What is NOT GF-4 (or SM) approved?
    -Royal Purple
    -Motul
    -Mobil1 SuperSyn
    The mobil site states that their oils with supersyn technology are GF-4 and SM approved oils.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...bil1_5W-30.asp
    Is this a different oil that what was posted as not approved?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c1k View Post
    The mobil site states that their oils with supersyn technology are GF-4 and SM approved oils.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...bil1_5W-30.asp
    Is this a different oil that what was posted as not approved?
    Of course Mobil 1 wants you to use it, but Subaru specifically recommends against the Super Syn. I do notice that their website seems to have changed on that product, although I know last time I checked oil at the store the Super Syn wasn't Sm "energy conserving" . Could be a typo.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

c1k
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Of course Mobil 1 wants you to use it, but Subaru specifically recommends against the Super Syn. I do notice that their website seems to have changed on that product, although I know last time I checked oil at the store the Super Syn wasn't Sm "energy conserving" . Could be a typo.
    Where is it stated that Subaru recommend against using supersyn?

I Support ClubWRX
    Where is it stated that Subaru recommend against using supersyn?
    In the TSB stated in the first post of this thread.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

c1k
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    In the TSB stated in the first post of this thread.
    Oh that looked like a summery of the TSB written by someone else to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh that looked like a summery of the TSB written by someone else to me.

In any event, the normal Mobil 1 works great, is approved, and is cheaper so personally I'd stick with that.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.