Strange noise.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Strange noise. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am stage 2 with a cobb dp, HKS exhaust. As of lately, at idle.. and acceleration.. I have been ...

Strange noise.

I am stage 2 with a cobb dp, HKS exhaust. As of lately, at idle.. and acceleration.. I have been getting a strange sound. The sound just goes faster with acceleration. I can't really pinpoint where it's coming from, but I'm guessing around the turbo somewhere. It kinda sounds like a loose belt or something like that.. but I'm pretty sure that's not what it is. The sound will go away when I put my foot on the clutch.. even if i barley press on the clutch.. the noise goes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd just hate to take it in to the dealership if somebody else has had this problem. Thanks in advance.
    AP Stage 2- 2006 WRX TR (WRB)

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I doubt that this is going to turn out to be very good. I've been doing quite a bit of reading.... and it sounds like it's going to be one of the bearings in the tranny. I doubt that Subaru is going to honor the warranty... with me being stage 2. I suppose I will have them verify that is the problem.. and if it is... I will just end up getting an entire new clutch setup.

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Figured out where the noise is coming from.

I found that the noise is coming from the transmission fork, when I press on the fork.. the noise will stop. When I let go of the fork, the noise will continue. Anybody have any suggestions?

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Anybody?

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Ok, so I took my car to the dealership.. and they found out that it was the throw out bearing. They replaced it with no questions asked. As they should.. considering my car only has 11,000 miles on it. =)

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Quote Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
    Ok, so I took my car to the dealership.. and they found out that it was the throw out bearing. They replaced it with no questions asked. As they should.. considering my car only has 11,000 miles on it. =)
    You didn't even change back to stock?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

WRXforME.....Is it like a whooshing sound? I'm getting a whooshing sound the entire time I'm accelerating and if I take my foot off the gas it goes away. Just started a few days ago.
    Plus when I'm in fifth gear and let off the gas I'm getting a whining sound. Mod wise I just have Cobb springs and Cobb short shifter w/ bushing. Wonder if I have something similar going on.

I kept everything on the car, with the intentions of finding out what was wrong with the clutch assembly.. and being denied warranty.. then taking it somewhere to have an entirely new clutch put in. I was amazed that they honored the warranty. I pretty much was using the dealership to find out for sure what the problem was. I seriously didn't think they would replace it for 0 dollars. It wasn't a wooshing noise, it was like crickets chirping. When I would put my foot on the clutch, with the smallest amount of pressure.. the noise would stop. I tried to grease the piston on the clutch cylinder.. and it didn't do anything.. so I figured it was something more in depth. Still, I'm pretty angry that I have only 11,000 miles.. and a problem like that strikes.

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but it seems to me like Subaru is getting a little more lenient with their warranty work. Lately there have been more instances of people reporting that Subaru actually honored the warranty and fixed something without telling people they're racing or are abusive.

Something like a throwout bearing definitely should be replaced under warranty at 11k, but I bet 2 years ago they would have said "you modded the car, and the increased torque destroyed the bearing" or some crap like that which doesn't make sense.

Yeah, they may have looked at the clutch itself.. and seen that it wasn't abused.. therefore having no choice but to honor the warranty. I am starting to become concerned with Subaru, this is the 2nd time my ride has been in the shop. First time, was with no modifications.. and it somehow shreaded transmission brackets... and this time is a throwout bearing, which should last way longer than the rest of the clutch. I'm thinking about looking into lemon law =)

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Quote Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
    Yeah, they may have looked at the clutch itself.. and seen that it wasn't abused.. therefore having no choice but to honor the warranty. I am starting to become concerned with Subaru, this is the 2nd time my ride has been in the shop. First time, was with no modifications.. and it somehow shreaded transmission brackets... and this time is a throwout bearing, which should last way longer than the rest of the clutch. I'm thinking about looking into lemon law =)
    Pretty sure you only had 3 days from the time you bought it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Pretty sure you only had 3 days from the time you bought it.
    No you have a year I think. IN any event Lemon Law is a PITA. I have a Buddy trying to do it with his 07 Toy Tacoma and hes not getting much luck. Just a bunch of arbitration im off work phone calls and frustration. After its all said and done its easier/cheaper just to sell it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I love my REX, and I want to keep on modding it, like bigger turbo and FMIC... but if I am already having problems at stage 2... I don't know if I really want to chance it. I know there is always a chance of something breaking the more power you have, and there is a lot of torque at stage 2... but this early is kinda questionable. I don't beat on my car at all, I have never ever done a hard launch. I guess we will have to see what happens. I have some money that I want to spend right now, I was going to buy a bigger turbo, turbo timer... but now I am thinking about just going with some coilovers.

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    No you have a year I think. IN any event Lemon Law is a PITA. I have a Buddy trying to do it with his 07 Toy Tacoma and hes not getting much luck. Just a bunch of arbitration im off work phone calls and frustration. After its all said and done its easier/cheaper just to sell it.
    Oh, cuz it's new or something?

I think if you buy used then you only have 3 days.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Oh, cuz it's new or something?

I think if you buy used then you only have 3 days.
    I think you are confusing the "lemon law" with a "cooling off period". The Lemon law doesn't apply to used I don't think. But here is CA there is no "cooling off period" for even new cars.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast