Another Tranny
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another Tranny within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, to start off i bought a 02wrx with 60k on it...recently i blew the tranny and got it re-done...before ...

Another Tranny

Well, to start off i bought a 02wrx with 60k on it...recently i blew the tranny and got it re-done...before the catastrophe...the car would make a groaning kind of sound (like when you push a heavy furniture on the bare floor, grinding maybe) when first taking off at about 1500rpm, i have to go as high as 2k rpm to avoid that horrible groan...it did it before and after the tranny problem...could it be a simple clutch adjustment? a different tranny oil?? another issue that may result in another expensive payment?? please help, the sounds is just annoying...please help
    flies like a butterfly, stings like when i pee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any little help would be appreciated the most...please?

my guess - clutch needs replacing.

Do a test in a parking lot or dead road. Put car in first, don't touch gas, slowly let out clutch and let the idle run the engine up to 10 mph, then shift to second and let the engine do the work, keep your foot off the gas. Now stop the car and do the same thing with a little bit pressure on the throttle. Do you still have the grinding noises both times?

Is this at all times, or just when you first start the car? I know my bugeye does occasionally get a bit of clutch chatter, and I can eliminate it by either using a bit more throttle, or a by being a little slower on letting out the clutch. If there is one thing driving a WRX will teach you, it's how to be nice to the transmission/clutch.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    make a video of it and post it in here.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

new developments... i tried doing what micah said (thanks) and when doing the first test (letting the engine work) it did not make any noises, just some shaking (which i think is normal when letting the engine do all the work), but when applying some pressure to the throtle, the grouning/grinding noise came back... i had a guy at work test it(owns an evo and had a wrx) and said that he is 100% that the clutch its not stock...

still have the sound??? more suggestions?? help please

from what you described, it sounds like clutch chatter. aftermarket clutches will chatter like MAD when you try to slip them into engagement. i know mine does
    try just giving it gradual gas right as the clutch catches, then let off clutch slowly. mine doesn't chatter if i rev a little more before the clutch fully engages (almost like a slip launch). but it's totally normal - IF what you're describing is clutch chatter, and if your clutch really is aftermarket. if your clutch pedal is a fair amount heavier than stock wrx clutch pedals, you're probably running with an aftermarket clutch.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

well, sounds about right... it makes me happy that this is rather normal if running an aftermarket clutch...but it still makes me sad cuz the chatter is kinda annoyin' but thanks for all the replies and all the help.... and yeah, the pedal is a lot heavier than the stock feeling, in addition, i do have to rev up higher in order to avoid that while letting the clutch go very slow...thanks...i was simply concerned due to the fact that i never had the feeling of an aftermarket clutch

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoAWD View Post
    well, sounds about right... it makes me happy that this is rather normal if running an aftermarket clutch...but it still makes me sad cuz the chatter is kinda annoyin' but thanks for all the replies and all the help.... and yeah, the pedal is a lot heavier than the stock feeling, in addition, i do have to rev up higher in order to avoid that while letting the clutch go very slow...thanks...i was simply concerned due to the fact that i never had the feeling of an aftermarket clutch
    haha yepp. if you rev it up even more while letting the clutch out you'll launch already spooled up
    mine chatters a lottttt too. but i'm used to it by now i guess.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.