Not your usual mileage thread! Please help?

This is a discussion on Not your usual mileage thread! Please help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it normal to get 10 mpg on your first tank of gas? (Brand new car, gas dealer put in, ...

Not your usual mileage thread! Please help?

Is it normal to get 10 mpg on your first tank of gas?

(Brand new car, gas dealer put in, supposedly 93 octane)

haha, i'm flipping out a little bit.

thanks
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    Is it normal to get 10 mpg on your first tank of gas?

(Brand new car, gas dealer put in, supposedly 93 octane)

haha, i'm flipping out a little bit.

thanks
    What kind of car, what kind of driving, and how are you calculating?

And no that seems low.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

my bad, haha...

It's an 07 wrx, bought it with 5 miles on it.

I've been staying under boost mostly, a lot of city driving, and I thought it was weird at half a tank when i only had 130 miles on the car, heh. I waited until i hit the gas light turned on to see if my gas gauge was acting up, but nope, i'm pretty much on empty with 172 miles on the car.

well by my knowledge im guessing its depending on the car because i know im getting about 12-15 mpg and i know im supposed to be getting about 16 at least

but me at half tank i have driven 100 miles and i usually get to empty at about 180-210 miles

Quote Originally Posted by guatemalanboi View Post
    well by my knowledge im guessing its depending on the car because i know im getting about 12-15 mpg and i know im supposed to be getting about 16 at least

but me at half tank i have driven 100 miles and i usually get to empty at about 180-210 miles
    you have an sti though, right?

something seems fishy, cause my brother has a 3000GT VR-4 and he drives like a maniac and still gets 16 mpg, on average.

I'm just concerned for my wallet is all. Scary to think what would happen if i drove it hard, haha.

yep STi and i dont know some cars are odd because ive tried to not drive crazy for a week and im still getting the same amount of mpg as if i drive fast and get past 4000 rpm

i really dont know what to say about our cars thats my big concern too, my wallet is going on a diet because of gas and also is if u have the wrx u should be getting better mpg then an STi arent they rated for about 19-21 city?

Quote Originally Posted by guatemalanboi View Post
    yep STi and i dont know some cars are odd because ive tried to not drive crazy for a week and im still getting the same amount of mpg as if i drive fast and get past 4000 rpm

i really dont know what to say about our cars thats my big concern too, my wallet is going on a diet because of gas and also is if u have the wrx u should be getting better mpg then an STi arent they rated for about 19-21 city?
    yep, the epa rated the lowest mileage possible on the wrx at 16, and highest at 24 (for city, obviously). My driving is really a mix of both, mostly city though, so i expected about 18mpg, haha.

needless to say, i am shocked.

i guess i'll call the dealer tomorrow, but i dont expect them to do anything about it, at least without me missing work for a few days (i do delivery, hence the gas mileage concerns.) grrrr...

(might take half of a tank just to get to the dealer at this rate, hahaha)

yea either our cars are jacked up or theyre just like that and i would take mine to the dealership but knowing them theyll tell me that i need a tune-up and all this crazy stuff but meh i guess i gotta live with it

and yea id figure id get more mpg since im on the highway to get to school all the time but nope just uses more gas

i just did another search and realized i probably should've posted this here:

The WRX Mileage Thread

my bad... I'm gonna fill up tomorrow and do some real calculations then call the dealership if my worries are reinforced.

wish me luck!

yea i had actually made a gas mileage post too and they redirected it to that thread but yea good luck maybe u can tell me something that can help my gas mileage also but meh im riding my bike now anyways and the train since gas is like 3.45 premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    i just did another search and realized i probably should've posted this here:

The WRX Mileage Thread

my bad... I'm gonna fill up tomorrow and do some real calculations then call the dealership if my worries are reinforced.

wish me luck!
    Good thing you found that thread. To be honest it sounds like you arent calulating properly. You need to reset the odo. at fill up and divide the # of gallons you put into the car by the # of miles you drove. Doing it any other way is purely guess work and will give you poor results.

In order to get good milage it's better to acclerate with decent amount of throttle (dont bog or lug the engine) and short shifter.

I was able to get 26-27 in my WRX with ease in mixed driving. The STI gets around 22-26 depending on how much highway time it sees.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I know this thread is old, but I have been doing a TON of reading and no contributing to the forum, so I figured I'll post up my experience.

I just bought an 07 WRX TR and I got about 320 miles in my first tank.
    that is 21.3 mpg. (I only put in 15 gallons)
    That was a mix of city/highway and I never kept my RPM's at the same range so I was pretty much either halfway on the gas or totally off the gas, you know what I mean? (I think I'll get better mileage under normal conditions). I was just driving under break in specifications.

Good luck.
    Any updates?
    -Jake
    07 WRX TR.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage right now because you still are in the break in period and will not see the best mpg. Wait until your at about 20-30k then see where your at. If you want better fuel economy 1) try adjusting your tire psi to about 42-45psi because your max psi on the tire states about 50-52 psi. 2) switch all of your driveline fuilds to synthetic. 3) take all of the stuff out of your car that is not needed if there is any. 4) I know not the most fun but drive the speed limit. I have over 41k on my clock and I useally get between 25.5-27 mpg with Cobb Stage 1, SPT intake, Perrin crank pulley, and all synthetic fuilds.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by wellhung View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I have been doing a TON of reading and no contributing to the forum, so I figured I'll post up my experience.

I just bought an 07 WRX TR and I got about 320 miles in my first tank.
    that is 21.3 mpg. (I only put in 15 gallons)
    That was a mix of city/highway and I never kept my RPM's at the same range so I was pretty much either halfway on the gas or totally off the gas, you know what I mean? (I think I'll get better mileage under normal conditions). I was just driving under break in specifications.

Good luck.
    Any updates?
    Slight update. After three refuelings, i've put in 38.7 gallons and i clocked 650 miles at the last refueling. 16.79 miles per gallon is the average. Not the best, but hopefully this will improve when i switch over to synthetic and get out of the breakin.

Math+ athlete=Mathlete!!

Dude...if your getting 130 at half a tank that means your getting over 16 gallons a tank. Our tanks are 15.9 gallon tanks,..half of that is 7.95.....so 130 miles divided by 7.95 gallons is 16.35 miles per gallon. Not too bad.
    BTW...From day 1 with my 06 till i was at 8500 miles i was only getting about 140 a half tank too....then i switched to royal purple and now im at 11,000 and consistently getting over 190 at half tank.

most interesting.