Maintenance question (HIGH mileage driver)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on Maintenance question (HIGH mileage driver) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm practically brand new here, and everyone's been awesome so far, so thanks ahead of time. I drive almost 600 ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49

    Maintenance question (HIGH mileage driver)

    I'm practically brand new here, and everyone's been awesome so far, so thanks ahead of time.

    I drive almost 600 miles a week, on and off driving, delivering pizza. I'm sure this is gonna take a toll on my baby (07 wrb wrx with 120 miles!) Are there any precautionary steps i can take to maintain her integrity with so much wear over such little time? More specifically:

    How often should i change my oil? what type of oil should i use?

    How can i get the best gas mileage while still having some fun? heh

    And lastly, will getting mods like the cobb AP, etc. help or hurt my car in the long run?

    Thanks again
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned Subie do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Posts
    2,595
    That's a damn nice car for a pizza delivery boy. But I'm not one to talk.

    You should change your oil about every 3k miles. What type of oil to use is up to you, brand wise. But 5W-30 is the "weight" you want to use.

    Good gas mileage + fun. Those two words in the same sentence, don't mix. lol

    Any type of mod can "hurt" your car in the long run. If you upgrade the performance of a car, you tend to push the car harder, and drive it more which puts more stress on parts and wears them out quicker. But hey, I'd be more worried about getting into a wreck than 100k mile down the line.




    At the top of this thread/forum there's a FAQ:
    Maintenance, Service FAQ & Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule

    Some good info you could use.



    S.d.

  4. #3
    ODJ
    ODJ is offline
    Registered User ODJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    I drive almost 600 miles a week, on and off driving, delivering pizza. I'm sure this is gonna take a toll on my baby (07 wrb wrx with 120 miles!) Are there any precautionary steps i can take to maintain her integrity with so much wear over such little time?
    Yeah, find another line of work.

    Don't forget to change your oil somewhere around 1,000 miles to get rid of all debris generated by your engine as it wears in.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

  5. #4
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    Yeah, find another line of work.

    Don't forget to change your oil somewhere around 1,000 miles to get rid of all debris generated by your engine as it wears in.
    yeah, you should get an oil change after your initial break-in period of 1k miles. don't take her to past 4000 rpms until then either. heh, it'll go by quickly

    especially if you drive 600 a week . do you have another beater car that you can drive for your deliveries? i personally wouldn't wanna put that many miles on my rex.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  6. #5
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    props for hooking a wrx being a pizza delivery boy though

    there's a delivery dude at my local pizza hut who has the most tricked out miata i've ever seen.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  7. #6
    Registered User c00lbeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,222
    cobb stage 2 will give you better gas millage. as long as you drive normal.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Yeah, i bought it cause i can afford it. turns out i make a lot of money delivering, haha

    i just want to make sure i'm doing right by her. I own a white 05 rx-8 GT as well and those are a hassle to maintain (i'll take pictures of our cars when this damn rain stops, heh), so i'm sure my rex will be well cared for.

    so the cobb stg 2 will give me better gas mileage? how? better gas mileage means a lot in my profession, haha.
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  9. #8
    Registered User branemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    812
    I gotta change careers...something else other than this nursing thing....

    Rx-8s are ok looking and handle really well, but other than that...meh...I heard they have lots of trouble flooding and dying.
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    I gotta change careers...something else other than this nursing thing....

    Rx-8s are ok looking and handle really well, but other than that...meh...I heard they have lots of trouble flooding and dying.
    They're slow, i mean, theyre faster than stock wrxs, but they have no low end torque at all. the flooding thing isnt a problem if you know what your doing. Mazda recently had a total recall on all rx-8s because people arent warming them up before they drive and it's causing engine failure.

    Oh, and they use more oil then gas, haha.

    Awesome cars though, and we got ours new for $23000.

    And pizza delivery is the bomb. My area gets terrible business and i still pull in about $400 in tips a week, at 30 hours a week. It's seriously a good short term job.
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  11. #10
    Registered User branemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    They're slow, i mean, theyre faster than stock wrxs, but they have no low end torque at all. the flooding thing isnt a problem if you know what your doing. Mazda recently had a total recall on all rx-8s because people arent warming them up before they drive and it's causing engine failure.

    Oh, and they use more oil then gas, haha.

    Awesome cars though, and we got ours new for $23000.

    And pizza delivery is the bomb. My area gets terrible business and i still pull in about $400 in tips a week, at 30 hours a week. It's seriously a good short term job.
    http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

    2004 Mazda RX-8 (0-60)5.8 (Quarter Mile)14.49 (6 speed) (MT Mar '04)
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (0-60)5.7 (Quarter Mile)14.4

    Dunno about you, but it doesnt look faster to me...Maybe something different in the GT, but the wrx is also the 2.0L...
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

    2004 Mazda RX-8 (0-60)5.8 (Quarter Mile)14.49 (6 speed) (MT Mar '04)
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (0-60)5.7 (Quarter Mile)14.4

    Dunno about you, but it doesnt look faster to me...Maybe something different in the GT, but the wrx is also the 2.0L...
    I'm familiar with that site, and i've done a lot of research into the stock 0-60 and 1/4 times while i was deciding what to buy.

    Mostly I spoke to a friend of mine, who does a lot of racing in the street tuner series' you see on the speed channel, and he said it's all relative on how hard the test driver is on the clutch during launch. When he was testing everything for his next project car, he said that from a normal launch the wrx runs a 6.0-6.5, and the rx-8 runs a 5.8-6.0 (0-60 time). he destroyed the clutch on the teams wrx from an hour of on and off sub 6sec launches, haha.

    i'm not saying you're wrong, just that the stock rx-8 tends to be more consistent in 0-60.

    A lot depends on how you drive it, is what it really comes down too, heh.
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  13. #12
    Registered User branemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    812
    ^Tou- chet! That is a good point....But, I still think that stock for stock, the WRX is a better car for the money in terms of performance...and modability (thass a big one!)

    Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way...I re-read it and I noticed that I came off a little "prick-ish"...sorry for that...
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    ^Tou- chet! That is a good point....But, I still think that stock for stock, the WRX is a better car for the money in terms of performance...and modability (thass a big one!)

    Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way...I re-read it and I noticed that I came off a little "prick-ish"...sorry for that...
    Thats why I bought one, haha. I was really deciding between a used S2000, an Rx-7 FD, or a new WRX, and i had to go with the rex. Too many upsides (mainly AWD.)

    The RX-8 is our weekend car, it's a beautiful car in white.

    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  15. #14
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    i'll have you know i tip my delivery drivers generously
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    especially when he's driving a rex, huh?
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •