Uppipe to turbo gasket Install

This is a discussion on Uppipe to turbo gasket Install within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am being lazy again. I just don't want to go through the trouble. Who in Los Angeles is willing ...

Uppipe to turbo gasket Install

I am being lazy again. I just don't want to go through the trouble. Who in Los Angeles is willing to do change it for me? How much are you looking to make? BTW AP v2 for sale.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why do you just need to change the gasket? just pull off the turbo, it iwll take about 2 hrs and all you need is a 14mm socket and some extensions.

I'm a bit slow in the head and never think like that lol. I still don't wanna do it myself though. Can I just unbolt the turbo, lift it, slip off the old gasket and slip on the new one? Or does it take a little more blood?
    Last edited by scott0302; 05-02-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    The first way to try it is to unbolt the up-pipe from the manifold and the manifold from the engine (to give you clearance). Then unbolt the up-pipe from the turbo and slide it towards the front of the car. You'll want to remove the Intercooler (two 14mm bolts and a couple hose clamps) and air intake box (two 14mm bolts and a bit of wiggling)so that you have as much room to work as possible. You should be able to get the old gasket off, and slip on the new one. If this doesn't work, you'll have to take the turbo out or at least shift it up a bit.

Its a bit tight quarters getting the thing off......but its pretty simple. Remove the Intercooler (two 14mm bolts and a couple hose clamps) and air intake box (two 14mm bolts and a bit of wiggling)Unbolt the Downpipe, Unbolt the up-pipe, pull off the coolant outlet and have something ready to plug the hole so coolant doesn't get everywhere, and pull the turbo up. You might have to take off the oil inlet pipe to get the clearance, but maybe not. Put the new gasket on and reverse the steps. Getting the coolant line back on is the hardest part, and I recommend having a long pair or needle nose pliers on hand for that part.

Otherwise its not hard at all, you just have to be able to deal with tight spaces for you hands. Definitely don't do it right after you drive it for a while as that area is probably the hottest part of the car. WD-40 is your friend too, as the bolts can be rather stubborn. Lastly, make sure you torque everything back down, otherwise you'll get exhaust leaks. There are tutorials with pictures for removing the turbo if what I explained was confusing too. Have fun working on your car, its definitely more satisfying then having someone else do it, and it'll save you a ton of money.

JH
    2004 World Rally Blue WRX Wagon
    Stage 3 (and rising)
    STI shortblock, STI TMIC, VF39 Turbo, Turboback, and Opensource Tuning (Enginuity and Boostcreep Special)
    www.enginuity.org (highly recommended)

Ok. I will definately try from the turbo side, but first I'm gonna order the gasket.

Ok. The gasket is on. The noise is gone. I have one problem though...the boost guage is only reading 10 psi. I've checked all the hose but no luck. Any suggestions?

Ok, solved the previous problem. I forgot to take out the restrictor pill before I replaced some hoses. But now the needled on the boost guage goes up to 20psi like before then down to 10psi. So basically something isn't holding the pressure. Any ideas?
    Last edited by scott0302; 05-28-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: update

boost spike

Will a manual boost controller get rid of boost spike?
    Last edited by scott0302; 06-30-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Banned
    No,No,No

Bookmark this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 This is The holy bible.

Inside is this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cobb1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    No,No,No

Bookmark this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 This is The holy bible.

Inside is this
    Thanks. I'll take a look of this.

Banned
    You need that pill to regulate your boost. It works with the subaru's ecu to hit a target boost. 13lbs at WOT in +3rd gear. Do not fidel with this well engineered peice of technology. If you would like to turn your boost up in other manners involving reprogrmaing the ECU I will gladly assist.

I have the pill from an 02-03 which is the same size as the 04-05. I just want the boost to be stock. It was all fine until I had to replace one of the uppipe to turbo gasket. Boost will hold steady at 10 psi then at Wot will go to about 18psi then back down to 10 psi and so on.