Weird ticking noise, got worse!

This is a discussion on Weird ticking noise, got worse! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Blew up motor, 5 miles into the new motor the transmission with 162004 miles goes boom and motor starts to ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school

Weird ticking noise, got worse!

Blew up motor, 5 miles into the new motor the transmission with 162004 miles goes boom and motor starts to have a ticking sound. I borrow a car and drive 16 hours round trip to get a new transmission, put it in the car. The motor continues to tick, not remembering that our cars have solid lifters I think it is a lifter that is leaking down and lifter tap. So I drive it a bit to make it "pump back up"... yeah solid lifters... no pump up...

So I get back in the car to go back to campus last night after dinner. I heard huge noise coming from what sounds like the flywheel/clutch area (from listening under the hood). so I'm thinking loose flywheel or something? I checked it yesterday when I installed the transmission... checked all the torque values and reinstalled the clutch and again torqued down the pressure plate....
    Then installed the transmission... 4 hours of joy now fruitless!

Anyone have any hints? Maybe it is valve train and it's just so loud that I think it's something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a mechanics stethoscope, you might need it.

Sent it to a shop... I can't deal with it and finals... UGH!

Well I never followed through with this thread so i figured that I would go ahead and do it now...

The shop couldn't figure it out... so I drove to Maine with it like that... It lasted about 2k miles with me trying to figure out what was up. It got REALLY bad and I didn't have any clutch movement...

Needles to say the Clutch Master 6 puck decided that it wanted to be free from the motor and took the flywheel with it!

I have since replaced the flywheel and clutch with a stock WRX/Sti mix and it works wonderfully!

Clutch on flywheel violence! Well I suppose when they always have friction between them it's impossible not to run into problems ( J/K ).
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!