AmsOil users

This is a discussion on AmsOil users within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; any feed back ? what weight ? i was thinking about using the SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil or Series ...

AmsOil users

any feed back ?
    what weight ? i was thinking about using the SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil or Series 2000 SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
    thoughts ? or should i be using something diffrent on my stage 2.5 STi ?
    i live in fl where it gets really hot btw

i did search for like 1.5 hrs but didnt come up with anything good
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I use the same type of Amsoil here in the UK but the temperatures are nothing like back home (Florida ). How about Motul 5w40 for the warmer days in Florida (all 365 of them)?

I recall someone just posting an oil analysis on Amsoil and the results were good.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you've decided to use Amsoil you may as well take advantage of their relatively small size and email them directly for their recommendation. Although not a client, I've emailed them in the past and they were very quick to respond.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you've decided to use Amsoil you may as well take advantage of their relatively small size and email them directly for their recommendation. Although not a client, I've emailed them in the past and they were very quick to respond.
    ok i will do that thanks
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Amsoil will say to use the TSO 0w30. That is what I use in my stage 2, but I live in MO. I would consider the 5w40 European oil that Amsoil has for your area...
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 08-10-2007 at 01:50 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Just passing through 7500 miles and Blackstone Labs says its doing just fine.
    (and I need to change my air filter more often)

Amsoil 5/30 and Amsoil filter. 3/4 quart make up so far.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex View Post
    Amsoil will say to use the TSO 0w30. That is what I use in my stage 2, but I live in MO. I would consider the 5w40 European oil that Amsoil has for your area...
    ok cool thanks
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

waiting for my engine to cool down a little more but i am putting amsoil in today and draining the RP. No complaints about royal purple, just heard some good things about amsoil and it was closer to me than the place that sells RP. First time doing an oil change on my suby, but i don't trust my local dealers anymore. I swear it takes me 10-15 min. to change the oil, and check tire pressure and it takes the dealer over an hour most the time. longest part of the oil change is waiting for the oil to drain.

pretty sure i have everything i will need.

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    waiting for my engine to cool down a little more but i am putting amsoil in today and draining the RP. No complaints about royal purple, just heard some good things about amsoil and it was closer to me than the place that sells RP. First time doing an oil change on my suby, but i don't trust my local dealers anymore. I swear it takes me 10-15 min. to change the oil, and check tire pressure and it takes the dealer over an hour most the time. longest part of the oil change is waiting for the oil to drain.

pretty sure i have everything i will need.
    i;d love to do it myself. how do you get under there... can you also quickly explain the process a little, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    i;d love to do it myself. how do you get under there... can you also quickly explain the process a little, appreciate it.
    I usually

-Jack up front end of car and put on jack stands
    -Pop hood and remove the oil fill cap
    -Place oil pan and remove drain plug and wait for oil to drain
    -Remove oil filter and allow to drain
    -Replace drain plug with new crush washer
    -Fill filter halfway with oil and use a little to lubricate the gasket
    -Install filter hand tight
    -Add my ~4.2 quarts of oil and replace fill cap
    -Start the car and allow to idle for a few minutes, then shut it off and wait 10 minutes
    -Check the dipstick for correct level and add more if needed

Other people have slight variations, and it helps if the engine is a little warm when you start. Don't do it when the engine is at running temperature, the oil is like magma. Putting the car up on jack stands is the most annoying part and the wrx is the first car I ever had to jack up to change the oil.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    -Jack up front end, place on jack stands.
    -Get under the car and remove all bolts and clips to remove the plastic covering (I do this because it takes all of 5 minutes at most and decreases mess).
    -Pop hood, and remove oil filler cap.
    -17mm wrench to remove the oil pan plug
    -Drain until you only get a slight drip from the pan, install plug and new gasket (metal ring around the plug)
    -Loosen oil filter by twisting counter clockwise to get it to begin draining.
    -After flow decreases, remove oil filter, replace with new after applying small film of oil to gasket (rubber around the mating surface)
    -re-Install plastic undercover
    -Add oil.
    -Start and check for leaks.
    -Stop engine, let sit for 3-5 minutes, check oil level.

Easy peasy, takes 10-15 minutes in a driveway.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

JT7
    Did the first change today. The plastic shield threw me off a bit. My forester has a nice little plastic access port for the filter and drain plug. No big deal, figured it out in a minute. Now I know that should come off before draining the oil to keep it clean.

What took me forever was taking off the oil filter that some sumo with an impact wrench put on! I had no filter wrench small enough. I have lost some hand strength since herniating a disk in my neck. Swear I thoght I was going to pop another one. Eventually I took some shims and slid them in between the wrench and filter to take up the space. So much for hand tighten. That is just another reason I do my own oil changes.
    2010 Obsidian Black 5 Door
    - Stink Eye Mob #190