Problem with taillights

This is a discussion on Problem with taillights within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Having an issue with my wrx. Can't figure this out. MY02- Put my foot on the brake, brake lights come ...

Problem with taillights

Having an issue with my wrx. Can't figure this out.

MY02- Put my foot on the brake, brake lights come on. Turn on brights, high beams, or parking lights, the tail lights do not illuminate. Brake lights work regardless.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Chaotic Yeti; 04-26-2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: clarification

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found a blown fuse under the steering wheel, behind the change compartment. It was the 10a second to the right all the way at the top. I replaced it with another 10a. I tested my tail lights, still not working. Checked the fuse, and it was blown again.

Assuming it is a short, or bad ground, Where should I start looking? Behind the fuse box, tail lights, etc....

Check all associated taillight wiring with taillight harness for a short to ground.

start where it's easy to get to: right by the tail lights. also look for other things that are on that same circuit. i have the FSM for MY05 which should be fairly close, and all that's on that fuse are: two front clearance lights, license plate lights, rear combination lights, and the trailer connector. another question, did the second fuse blow immediately or only after you turned on the brake lights?
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 04-26-2007 at 11:14 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

The brake lights work fine. I believe it blew when I turned on my brights, which should make my taillights, and license plate illuminate.

I did recently install the cobb accessport...could I have tugged on something under there that would cause this, or is my best bet to look directly behind the tail lights?

I appreciate your replies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you replaced any bulbs recently?

I replaced the headlight bulbs, and they work fine. None of the bulbs are out as far as I can tell. They just do not all work when they should. Everything works as normal, except Tail lights, and rear license light do not illuminate when brights/high's are on. When I unlock my car lights do not flash, but the interior lights turn on. When I flip the parking light toggle, nothing comes on.

Just bought some fuses. Tried replacing it one more time to make sure when it was blowing. Engine was not running, key was in the on position, fuse blew when brights were turned on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Yeti View Post
    Just bought some fuses. Tried replacing it one more time to make sure when it was blowing. Engine was not running, key was in the on position, fuse blew when brights were turned on.
    I would start looking at those bulbs you just installed. Either they are wrong (my guess) or defective.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien02WRX View Post
    Check all associated taillight wiring with taillight harness for a short to ground.
    This was the cause for my tailights not working on an 02 WRX and my 05 LGT legacy. I still have "firmly jiggle/bend" the wire leads directly into the plug for the lamp socket every now and then on my driver's rear. They come right back on then. But it had the same symptoms as yours...no rear light, but brake lights (and I think blinker) worked.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I appreciate all of your responses. I'll let you know what worked.

Exchanged headlights, replaced fuse, Bingo. No more problems. Trainrex-FTW.

Thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Yeti View Post
    Exchanged headlights, replaced fuse, Bingo. No more problems. Trainrex-FTW.

Thanks again
    Anytime