Check Engine Light?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, on my way home today i was on the freeway when i noticed the Check engine light come ...

Check Engine Light?

Hey guys, on my way home today i was on the freeway when i noticed the Check engine light come on with the cruise light blinking. IM new to subaru's so i dont know what the blinking cruise light means. So ill be at Autozone tommorow with the OBD scanner and ill bring back some codes.

Also is it normal for the STI's Idle to vary? when im just idling i see the RPM sometimes drope down and raise up then stabilize. Im stumped

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did this happen after you floored it in 5th or 6th gear?

What are your mods?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

i dont believe so. I went to Autozone and scanned the car with the OBD gun. The code #P0171 and it said the car was running to lean. My mods are AEM CAI, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS Cat back and thats it for performance mods besides my suspension. IM leaning towards the BOV is causing this problem. Any help!

I'm not too knowledgeable but I think BOV's can cause the cars to run too rich.. maybe too lean as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    The check engine light will cause the cruise control to not function properly, causing it to flash (this happened when the dealership that sold my STi gave me one without a catalytic converter).

As for the check engine light, there are many common causes. I haven't modified my car, so I'm not too knowledgeable with that subject. In the future, it may be something as simple as your gas cap not being screwed on tightly (that would be the first thing I would check in those instances before getting the code).

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be a vacuum leak, an air leak in the intake, or your intake itself causing that code. Check all of your intake hoses, then your vacuum hoses, and if that doesn't solve the problem, try swapping the stock airbox back in.

I don't see any kind of EM listed with those mods. Let alone the fact that a CAI and BOV are probably the worst first mods to put on the car for this very reason. If you don't already have EM system then get a Cobb AP and reflash to the proper map. After that clear out the CEL and see if it comes back.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

cruise control light flashes b/c the car disables cruise control when it gets a CEL, as a safety measure i guess.

the idle on my STi moves up and down a little when the radiator fans click on and off, but it's a very small change. at one point i had a leak in my air box (didn't get the lid on there right b/c i was in a hurry) and my idle was jumping around pretty erratically, going from almost stalling up to 1500 and anywhere in between. so i agree with Trainrex in that the intake would be the first thing i would check.

reset the ecu.

mine threw a cel recently and i just reset my ecu because it said loose fuel cap. It was gone after i reset my ecu

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWrx View Post
    reset the ecu.

mine threw a cel recently and i just reset my ecu because it said loose fuel cap. It was gone after i reset my ecu

A PO171 is not something that will go away like a fuel cap issue.

Likely one of the incorrect parts is causing the CEL. This the PO171 occurs when there are MAF errors (dirty MAF due to inadequate filtration -- e.g., an aftermarket open filter -- or incorrect readings due to unexpected air flow -- e.g., aftermarket intake) boost or vacuum leaks (hoses on intake, fuel pressure regulator, manifold, IC... Plus, we already know there's a hole in the intake, the car has a BOV on it).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A PO171 is not something that will go away like a fuel cap issue.

Likely one of the incorrect parts is causing the CEL. This the PO171 occurs when there are MAF errors (dirty MAF due to inadequate filtration -- e.g., an aftermarket open filter -- or incorrect readings due to unexpected air flow -- e.g., aftermarket intake) boost or vacuum leaks (hoses on intake, fuel pressure regulator, manifold, IC... Plus, we already know there's a hole in the intake, the car has a BOV on it).
    hmm i see... so what do you suggest? filter cleaning kit? K&N has a good one that i used

I Support ClubWRX
    hmm i see... so what do you suggest? filter cleaning kit? K&N has a good one that i used

OK let's back up. You initially said you got the fuel cap CEL. That code is an emissions code, not a lean condition code. PO171 is a "lean" code. What CEL did you get?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

OK let's back up. You initially said you got the fuel cap CEL. That code is an emissions code, not a lean condition code. PO171 is a "lean" code. What CEL did you get?
    no no no.. mine was the po479 or something. but i got it fixed.. i was talking about for him.. if he should get a intake clean cuz you were talking bout MAF and what not

I Support ClubWRX
    no no no.. mine was the po479 or something. but i got it fixed.. i was talking about for him.. if he should get a intake clean cuz you were talking bout MAF and what not

OK I'm with you now, got it. Yes, cleaning the MAF is a great idea in case of a PO171 and there's actually a bespoke MAF cleaning product sold by CRC that's carried in many auto parts stores. Less than $7 and leaves no residue. To clean the MAF note that the harness faces forward, remove the harness, remove the MAF, and tape the opening on the intake shut so nothing falls in there (meteors, UFOs, missiles, etc.). If extra-cautious, cover the O-ring on the MAF body too, and then hold it right side up, spray lightly onto the probes, allow to dry, repeat. Keep in mind the MAF is not a car part, it's an electronic sensor and should be treated as such (don't jump up and down on it, hit it with a hammer etc., it's expensive and delicate).

If you are using the stock intake and filter and everything works properly you may never have to do this, but every other filter change is a good idea IMO. If you are using an aftermarket filter, aftermarket intake (gasp...) or have had leaks or issues, cleaning the MAF may solve your PO171 and your lurching, high rpm complaints etc.

As for the filter, I don't use K&N but I've cleaned them before. A little of the red stuff goes a long way and make sure it's dry before reinstalling. If you use something like that, consider either not doing so or making MAF cleaning a more frequent even in your maintenance cycle.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-09-2007 at 01:28 PM.

OK I'm with you now, got it. Yes, cleaning the MAF is a great idea in case of a PO171 and there's actually a bespoke MAF cleaning product sold by CRC that's carried in many auto parts stores. Less than $7 and leaves no residue. To clean the MAF note that the harness faces forward, remove the harness, remove the MAF, and tape the opening on the intake shut so nothing falls in there (meteors, UFOs, missiles, etc.). If extra-cautious, cover the O-ring on the MAF body too, and then hold it right side up, spray lightly onto the probes, allow to dry, repeat. Keep in mind the MAF is not a car part, it's an electronic sensor and should be treated as such (don't jump up and down on it, hit it with a hammer etc., it's expensive and delicate).

If you are using the stock intake and filter and everything works properly you may never have to do this, but every other filter change is a good idea IMO. If you are using an aftermarket filter, aftermarket intake (gasp...) or have had leaks or issues, cleaning the MAF may solve your PO171 and your lurching, high rpm complaints etc.

As for the filter, I don't use K&N but I've cleaned them before. A little of the red stuff goes a long way and make sure it's dry before reinstalling. If you use something like that, consider either not doing so or making MAF cleaning a more frequent even in your maintenance cycle.

there you goo.. see i was just trying to help out the original poster of the thread but you also gave me a heads up to.. thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast