Leaky radiator?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Leaky radiator? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I opened up my hood today to install my oil pressure sender, and noticed this: Some more closeups: I'm ...

Leaky radiator?

So I opened up my hood today to install my oil pressure sender, and noticed this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3184 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	73548

Some more closeups:

Name:	DSCN3188 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	73546

Name:	DSCN3189 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	73547

I'm sure this isn't normal. I noticed it when I was installing stage 2 also, but it was much less residue than this. The coolant level is sill normal, so I don't think I'm leaking that much. Is it just because of the hot weather, or do I have a serious problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like a split radiator seam. Find the leak and fix it before driving around further.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It looks like a split radiator seam. Find the leak and fix it before driving around further.
    How can I go about doing that? Some epoxy or something?

I Support ClubWRX
    If the radiator has failed at the interface between the end tanks and the core, there's a new radiator in your future. These failures are not unheard of; mine did it with a massive... 6,000 miles on the clock and others have had theirs fail just as soon. If OTOH the failure is on a conventional metal part of the core you can have it soldered. It's likely a seam failure or a hole on the end tank from the photos though. No warranty due to mods I assume?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well I'm stage 2, so depending I guess they might not honor my warranty. But I'm also past 3 years now, so unless it would be covered under the 5 year power train I don't think I'd be covered anyway. I tried some google searching, any idea how much a new radiator would cost? I saw $850 or something, is it really that much??

two problems...one solution

ok this past winter i went drifting with my dad at a church parking lot. well it was fun but on the way out i accidently ran up a snow bank that came outta nowhere seriously (check the vid on my myspace and see for yourself). anyway after that i noticed that at random times when turning the power steering would go out then come right back. kept happening after a couple days so i thought i blew the power steering pump. checked under the hood and saw the SAME colored splatters on my short ram intake and misc other things. the fluid levels were pretty much the same though so it wasent a major leak. so my dad put this gold powder looking stuff in the radiator that suppose to seal leaks. well it worked like a charm! leak free now! AND it fixed the ps pump problem too, turns out the radiator fluid was splashing on the belt and causeing it too slip briefly.

kinda long story but i hope it might help.
    My Myspace
    Wingl3ss @lliance #6

MODS:VF39 Turbo, 650cc DW injectors, SSAC FMIC, Cobb Short Ram Intake, GFB StealthFX Hybrid, NGK One-Step-Colder Plugs, Walbro Fuel Pump, Perrin Up-pipe, TurboXS 3" TBE Catless, Blitz SBC-id 3, Protune by Mead Engineering.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrememotion View Post
    I tried some google searching, any idea how much a new radiator would cost? I saw $850 or something, is it really that much??

No. A stock unit is available for half that or less from any dealer, and aluminium replacement units are readily available for less than $500. Check out the site sponsors for sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekina View Post
    ok this past winter i went drifting with my dad at a church parking lot. well it was fun but on the way out i accidently ran up a snow bank that came outta nowhere

Perhaps the snow bank apprearing was a metaphysical phenomenon given your location.

my dad put this gold powder looking stuff in the radiator that suppose to seal leaks. well it worked like a charm! leak free now!
    I'd use a stop leak product if I'm stranded away from service and had to drive the car to a repair site, but I'd not rely on an additive to ensure a leak-free cooling system indefinitely. I'd recommend you look into replacing the radiator or at the very least repairing the hole(s) at a radiator shop if at all possible.

[QUOTE=Shekina;2020768]two problems...one solution

so my dad put this gold powder looking stuff in the radiator that suppose to seal leaks. well it worked like a charm! leak free now!

get a new radiator and flush your cooling system with a wynns/bg or some other sort of power flush...exspensive but do it..for your cars sake
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

[QUOTE=subarutech;2025250]
    two problems...one solution

so my dad put this gold powder looking stuff in the radiator that suppose to seal leaks. well it worked like a charm! leak free now!

get a new radiator and flush your cooling system with a wynns/bg or some other sort of power flush...exspensive but do it..for your cars sake
    it was a VERY minor leak along the top where the radiator is crimped together. the car runs very cool and dont see why i need to fix something thats not broke. i dont have $500 laying around to drop on a radiator that i dont need. besides, my dad has been working on cars longer than ive been alive and would never do anything to mess my car up. i have 100% faith in what he does/says.
    My Myspace
    Wingl3ss @lliance #6

MODS:VF39 Turbo, 650cc DW injectors, SSAC FMIC, Cobb Short Ram Intake, GFB StealthFX Hybrid, NGK One-Step-Colder Plugs, Walbro Fuel Pump, Perrin Up-pipe, TurboXS 3" TBE Catless, Blitz SBC-id 3, Protune by Mead Engineering.

I Support ClubWRX
    it was a VERY minor leak along the top where the radiator is crimped together.

That's the radiator seam. Many rads tend to fail at that spot.

the car runs very cool and dont see why i need to fix something thats not broke.

You don't. You might consider fixing something that is broke [sic] though. I'd not trust a stop-gap (literally!) solution (even though Subaru themselves have mandated one with their coolant conditioner TSB).

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine split in the same spot at 7k.

So I brought it to the dealer and had them check it out since I was getting my oil changed anyway. They said that they pressure checked it, and everything seemed fine, and they could not find a leak. I then pointed out the leaking coolant (it wasn't as bad as the picture since I wiped it off before I brought it in) and the guy said, well, it looks like a leak, but I couldn't find anything wrong. Very strange. He also mentioned the possiblity that there could have been coolant spilt into the rubber gromet when filling, but I've taken that off and put it back on, so I don't think thats it. What the heck! haha

I Support ClubWRX
    If they gave you a receipt that states something like "customer states coolant leak" and "no coolant leak found" keep it and keep the photos you've posted. If they didn't go back and get it in writing.

It's unlikely, but I suppose possible, that the top hose clamp is leaking. To check, wiggle the hose gently while under pressure. There's a TSB out. BE CAREFUL, the fans can really hurt you and can go on at ANY time so stay clear of them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.