Need Help / rattling noise

This is a discussion on Need Help / rattling noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any help with this is appreciated and I'll try and put as much detail in this as possible. When driving ...

Need Help / rattling noise

Any help with this is appreciated and I'll try and put as much detail in this as possible.

When driving and when i'm on the accelorator, between 3K and 4k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear, i'm getting like a sputtering or slight rattling noise. I checked my exhaust, down pipe and up pipe and everything is tight. I even had my local shop check those out on the rack and everything is tight.

Any suggestions or if anyone has any ideas i'm open to it, but my next and last step is the dreaded dealership!!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylencce View Post
    Any help with this is appreciated and I'll try and put as much detail in this as possible.

When driving and when i'm on the accelorator, between 3K and 4k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear, i'm getting like a sputtering or slight rattling noise. I checked my exhaust, down pipe and up pipe and everything is tight. I even had my local shop check those out on the rack and everything is tight.

Any suggestions or if anyone has any ideas i'm open to it, but my next and last step is the dreaded dealership!!

Thanks
    well, that's not very detailed..

does it sound kinda like bb's in a coffee can?
    what fuel octane level? 87? 89? 93?
    Any mods to the car? If so, what?

could be slight detonation, or a heat shield vibrating, etc..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by bchslap View Post
    well, that's not very detailed..

does it sound kinda like bb's in a coffee can?
    what fuel octane level? 87? 89? 93?
    Any mods to the car? If so, what?

could be slight detonation, or a heat shield vibrating, etc..
    I checked the heat shield and it's solid, It's not like BB's in coffee can, it's more like a sputter. It's hard to explain because it's only between 3-4k rpms and I only notice it in 2nd and 3rd gear.

It's not the exhaust, up or down pipe...

I guess it kinda sounds like when you used to stick a baseball card in your spokes on your bike as kid. Like that sputtering noise if that helps.

bump, anyone with any ideas or suggestions?

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm, weird.. Ive got no idea, now..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

You might try a search on Wastegate Flutter.

I have the same problem of rattling when i'm in gear and coasting. When i'm in 3rd or 4th and slowing down and stay in gear I get a rattling noise that sounds like a loose exhaust pipe or a baseball card in the spoke. I can't figure it out either. Hopefully it isn't bad. It's not the bb inside the can sound it's deeper than that. Any help would be great.

Sounds like the same exact problem that I've been having. I made a post a while back and got some suggestions, mostly loose things, heatshields etc., but I checked it out and everything seemed tight.

Also, for my car at least, it only seems to do it when I'm just barely on the gas. If i'm accelerating hard it won't do it because I'm at half throttle or more. Only seems to do it if I'm just cruising and on the gas a little bit, lets say 10% of full throttle or less. Or I'll notice it when I let off the gas, just before I let completely off the gas I'll hear it for a split second.

I tried listening to where its coming from, but I can't really tell while I'm driving. I tried parking it and sticking my head in the engine bay for a listen, and it seemed to be coming from the general area of my turbo, but I could be wrong because by 3-4k rpm (when you can hear the noise), the noise is drowned out by the engine roaring 6 inches from your face

Also, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the cars performance as it's running smooth as can be.

Hope someone can help, it's got me a bit worried.

Hopefully someone out there who had the problem has fixed it and can let us know. I've read some threads and about 80% of the people say that it's nothing to be worried about. I'm not to worried myself; the noise is just annoying as heck.

I saw in another thread that the noise is coming from where the up-pipe or down-pips, one of those pipes, meets the tranny. That's the only thing i've found.

Quote Originally Posted by tsignr View Post
    You might try a search on Wastegate Flutter.
    I think this is what your hearing and its completley normal.

Unless you have had the up/dp on for a while and this is some NEW sound.

could it be your exhaust rubbing on something? maybe you need longer hangers? only mentioning it because a friend had something similar, sounded like a rattling sound, but didnt always happen. ended up being his cat back pipe was hitting something, every so often. kartboy hangers dropped it lower, and now it doesnt do it.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

I'll be checking the exhaust this weekend. I thought it could have been the hangers; i'll be doing a thorough investigation this coming weekend and report what i find. Thanks for the input everyone.