"MY warranty is voided" now what?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on "MY warranty is voided" now what? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've heard many places that it's illegal for a dealership to all out void a warranty because of mods. ...

"MY warranty is voided" now what?

So I've heard many places that it's illegal for a dealership to all out void a warranty because of mods. Well my second gear has gone out, quit workign entirely. The stick just wont' go into the slot. Well after wiating 2 weeks for the subaru rep to get to the dealership to look at my car, he has said that "MY warranty has been voided because of my unichip". My transmission has nothign to do wth the unichip. Well this is obviously not rght. What should I do now?
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: "MY warranty is voided" now what?

Originally posted by polkaband
    he has said that "MY warranty has been voided because of my unichip". My transmission has nothign to do wth the unichip. Well this is obviously not rght. What should I do now?
    I think you know the true answer here. The unichip IS related to the tranny in that you increased HP/Tq to exceed what the factory engineered/built, which has a definite effect on the tranny, especially second gear. Not to mention your numerous threads about street/drag racing. The innocence is lost.

Let's not be so niave.

As for what you should do now:

1) learn how to rebuild your tranny.

b) pay the price to have the dealer do it.

Oh, this is you from the TRANNY WOES thread:

Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log)

"...Think they'll give me warranty problems with my new turbo, exhaust and fuel stuff? The exhaust is just about the only obvious modification. They probobly won't even notice that the Turbo isn't stock."

I am constantly amazed that people are shocked that SOA "unfairly" call BS on a warranty claim. What did you expect?
    You can't have your cake and eat it, too. It's time to grow up and be a responsible adult.

And before you launch into "It's been a problem for a long time, blah, blah, blah". Yes, it has. You've documented it well throughout this board. Along with your racing stories. I'm afraid this one's on you.

Curtis

OWN3D!!! (sorry i dont have a cool pic to go along with that)

yeah dude, you shouldn't have tried to play the player. Rebuilding a tranny shouldn't be that hard. Just buy a bently book and read over and over and over again.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    now you have a perfect oppertunity to replace your weak gears with some good forged ones

I Support ClubWRX
    This is the exact example I always use when people say "they can't void your warranty 'cause of Magnusson-Moss". Yep, but if you put on a big turbo and break anything in the powertrain, it's pretty obvious even to a layman (ESPECIALLY to a layman!) that it is probably the result of the big turbo causing the engine to put out way more power than stock.

Actually with all the crap you've got on there, it's gonna be easy for them to trace ANYTHING back to the engine putting out WAY more power than Subaru intended it to, putting more stress on the drivetrain and the chassis and by extension anything attached to the chassis and by extension......you get the idea.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I've been warning folks about this very issue for months. SOA needs little reason to void the warranty of a modified car.

And so it goes.......

I'm really sorry about your troubles, polkaband.

misterx

Well I wasnt' quite in a rage just yet. I was asking because I had read it on this board and I had questions about it. Well I dont' even know what's worng with the car yet. They've had the transmission taken apart for three days and they're still trying to figure out what it is. I'll keep posted about what was wrong with it and such. If it is the 2nd gear itself then what woudl yall recomend for a replacement?
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

tan
    damn someone else beat me to the devil's advocate role, saying how engine mods affect the drivetrain

Originally posted by polkaband
    Well I wasnt' quite in a rage just yet. I was asking because I had read it on this board and I had questions about it. Well I dont' even know what's worng with the car yet. They've had the transmission taken apart for three days and they're still trying to figure out what it is. I'll keep posted about what was wrong with it and such. If it is the 2nd gear itself then what woudl yall recomend for a replacement?
    if it is strictly a gear replacement issue i would look into a harder gear set with better ratio's... something like
    gear set
    the sti RA gear set is somthing i would like to get. better ratio's cryo-hardend gears. 1/6th the price of an sti six-speed tranny and almost as good

good luck
    Last edited by SobeWRX; 01-13-2003 at 07:03 AM.

Wow, those gears look really nice. The price is not bad at all. I wonder what a good shop would charge for an install? I dont think I would try that one myself.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Just out of curiousity, I looked up the stock gear ratios to compare.

3.454/1.947/1.366/0.972/0.738:1 -------- stock vs.
    3.083/2.062/1.545/1.151/0.825:1 -------- RA

Not only are the ratios much shorter (designed for the 3.90:1 final drive maybe?) but I noticed that we actually have 2 overdrive gears! That's just not right......
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    someone please explain to me why subaru's do not have a dirrect drive gear? in other cars the dirrect drive gear is the most efficient because it has less spinning weight/gears, right? what's the deal??

PS: what would the theoretical top speed be with the STi RA gear set in? I don't know the calculations..
    Last edited by MainFrame; 01-13-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Well it turns out tobe the Shift fork and some other washer or somethign that's broke. I'll have an estimate for the whole job tomorrow.

Sounds like it could be a lot worse... Maybe this could be construed as good news?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.