low boost on 04 STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on low boost on 04 STi within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my 04 sti and it has the factory boost guage installed. I noticed that under full boost ...

low boost on 04 STi

I just bought my 04 sti and it has the factory boost guage installed. I noticed that under full boost its only reading .06 bar. shouldnt it be a little above .1 bar? The car only has 18k miles and everything is stock. I have an appointment at the dealer later in the week but i want to know if anyone has heard of the boost guages not working right....no vacuum leaks anywere, drives smooth..pulls nice but ive never driven an sti before so im not sure.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.5 View Post
    I just bought my 04 sti and it has the factory boost guage installed. I noticed that under full boost its only reading .06 bar. shouldnt it be a little above .1 bar? The car only has 18k miles and everything is stock. I have an appointment at the dealer later in the week but i want to know if anyone has heard of the boost guages not working right....no vacuum leaks anywere, drives smooth..pulls nice but ive never driven an sti before so im not sure.
    thanks
    ok.

first, probably need to go introduce yourself in the new members section....heather and others will politely say hi, ask you to post pictures, etc.

2nd. what gear are you reading that level in? boost is different in different gears.

being stock, i think you are about where it should be. above a bar is running higher boost. i will try to check to be sure though
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

try third gear and at full throttle at approximately 4000 rpm you should be close to peak

otherwise there could be a problem, or just bad boost gauge
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

well i know .06 is only around 8 or 9 psi? And it stops there at full boost... no spiking, and in any rpm or gear. Maybe the previous owner had a boost comtroller? One other ting i thought was odd, it appears there is a K&N drop in filter in the factory air box. I can distinctively hear moderately loud turbo spool and BOV. Is that normal for drop in filter? I will also check to see if brass pill is in correct location..
    Thanks guys.

BTW... tayhadar1 i see your from Spokane, just moved from there, lived there all my life and hope to move back next year.

Cool another guy from Spokane!

Yeah I would make sure to check if the restrictor pill is in the correct place. This could surely be a problem caused by a previous mbc on the car

Hope you figure it out
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I have the same problem, only i am at stage 2 i have helix catless DP. hks catback, spt intake, hks blow off valve(came with the car) and my gauge in 3rd gear at 4krpm goes to .06-.08 bar, and at WOT it jumps to a little over .1 bar and it feels slower. I raced another sti 06 same stage and i was beat by a car lane. recently had a turbo go bad from the oil line and couldnt be fixed so subaru gave me a free stock turbo, its broken in already but i dont feel the power the car should have.

I forgot to mention that i get a flashing or sometimes a solid cruise control light with out the cel wierd =/

thats weird, your car looks sick though! Has the ecu been re flashed before from the previous owner? maybe something to do with the o2 sensors? I just put a cbe on and i notice a lot more power...well not A LOT more but a notice. Do you have any idle problems with the hks? I disconnected my hose nd caped it from the stock bov but it mde the car idle really bad nd it even died on me so i put it back. Maybe check into having your ecu to fctory specs. Im still relly new to the sti so i have lots to learn. Anyways thats just some thoughts i had.
    BTW... owner before me took out the restrictor pill which cause low boost but got it replaced.
    358 awhp/430 tq.Tuned by PRE
    stock turbo
    DIFFERENT STROKES.
    Blobeye syndicate #101

no it idles fine, i was driving it yesterday and it seem to be hitting boost maybe its just me. in first gear the boost goes to .0 second it hits .05 third hits anywere from .05 to .07, and all other gears at full throttle hit .11 but then it goes down, ill have to check. But then im still confused how another STI same stage as me but 06 beat me by a car lame and his car sounded more agressive.

weird, do you have header and up pipe? Ive herd that it quiets it down a bit. you should def be hitting full boost (almost .1 bar) in first gear. Do you have a boost controller? maybe the previous owner had one but didnt put the restrictor pill back in. Maybe your boost solenoid isnt working properly. It may be possible too that there is a problem somewhere else and the sensors are making your car go in a safe mode. Just a thought though.
    stock turbo
    DIFFERENT STROKES.
    Blobeye syndicate #101

i have stock up and headers, i doubt the previews owner had a boost controller, and i dont think it would be hittin .1 bar at first gear, i took it to the tracks today and i was hitting .1 at every other gear, i think i found out my problem i need a pro tune and i need to remove my hks blow off valve my car is running super rich since everytime i shift and let go of the pedal i get a big backfire and a huge fire ball.

i had a bov on my car, sounded cool but really made my car run like crap, that might bw whatit is if it is %100 to the air

i think thats whats causing me to lose power, im sure of it i should just take it off and once i get the rest of my mods put it back on.

may be a little off subjust but my best friend had a evo and when he put on a greddy type s his boost droped down to only 15 psi. Hope you figure it out, nothing worse than having a fast car that doesnt perfporm to full potential.
    stock turbo
    DIFFERENT STROKES.
    Blobeye syndicate #101

yea i know it bothers me, but then im soon going to upgrade it and get a tune and im sure that can solve the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.