ridiculous qoute for brake job
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ridiculous qoute for brake job within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just called my friendly neighborhood subaru delaer to get qoute for new pads and turning the rotors....they want 5!!! ...

ridiculous qoute for brake job

I just called my friendly neighborhood subaru delaer to get qoute for new pads and turning the rotors....they want $265!!!

I was like, thanks, but no thanks

Who else thinks this is a bit steep?
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That price is not a bit steep, it's outrageous. Take it somewhere else.

BTW how many miles do you have?

misterx

I have 34K on the original pads (mostly highway).

They are not gone yet, but I want to change them b4 they are gone.

I am going to change them myself, I was just curious what the dealer was getting, in hopes that it would be cheap and I could be lazy.
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

Actually, if they're replacing pads and turning rotors, that's not too out of line for a dealership price. Stock pads for the WRX sell for $65 and change per wheel. That's $260 in parts alone if you're doing all 4 wheels. When I worked at a Suby dealer, I think a full front brake job came to around $240. That was $130 for the parts, $90 for labor, and about $20 in various shop charges.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Re: ridiculous qoute for brake job

Originally posted by Chesta
    I just called my friendly neighborhood subaru delaer to get qoute for new pads and turning the rotors....they want $265!!!

I was like, thanks, but no thanks

Who else thinks this is a bit steep?
    There's a simple solution here:

Buy the pads & pull the brakes down yourself. Take your rotors to a Pep Boys, or similar place to have them turned ($5 - 10 each) and put it all back together yourself. Change your brake fluid & bleed while you're at it. You can easily do this in a day, even with the running around for parts, etc. Save yourself the labor charges.

When it's all said and done, you will have spent ~$200. How much is your time worth?

Personnaly, I do it myself because I can, and because I typically don't trust others working on my cars, especially the brakes.

But honestly, $265 for a complete brake job, all 4 corners with turning the rotors is pretty much the norm.

Just curious, but why do people want to skimp on the single most important system on their car: the brakes? You should be buying the best that you can afford in this area. (MHO)

Good luck,

Curtis

Re: Re: ridiculous qoute for brake job

Originally posted by TurbeauxREX
    Personnaly, I do it myself because I can, and because I typically don't trust others working on my cars, especially the brakes.
    Same here, I only take my car to the dealership when absolutely necessary. I don't like those yahoos touching my car.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I agree completely.
    I was really just curious what the dealership gets for this.

a lot
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

Chesta,

Be glad you dont also own a P.T Neon<GG>!!

Brakes wear out at like 25000, Cost $90 for O.E.M front Pads, $80 for rear!!!!!! (me doin laber!!)

AND the Rotors only get about 2 turns before there shot!!!

Love my Rex

ps,ol, Lady has the P.Ts how I know

SHotgun

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't waste your $90 on the POS OEM pads. You can get good ones for around the same price!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

GV27,

Yea, I went to Napa and got em!!

Thing EATS brakes!!!!

P.O.S!!
    Shotgun

I would have purchased the factory brake pads - they usually squeak the least.

When I was at Lexus - we used to charge $250.00 and axle for brake servicing.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

$65 for pads?!

i'll be buying the bendix import quiet pads for $35.00 or so. unlesss your're going to the track, or pushing 290 at the wheels, there's no reason to spend that kiind of money on brakes.

dR

is it even worth the hassle of turning your rotors anymore? prices on aftermarket rotors are almost ridiculous (at least on my e36 m3 they were). i simply replaced the rotors along with the pads in the front every 40k (HEAVY use) and rear pads every 40k (rear rotor every 80k- didn't even have to turn them at 40k).

Wow, you must have found cheap rotors.

Turning rotors at my nearest auto parts store = $12/ea...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

hmmm. $12 eh? that's actually pretty reasonable. i guess i just don't like the idea of artificially thinning rotors or making them more prone to warping. well, $50/rotor wasn't a bad deal considering the use i put them through (auto-x). besides, it's easier just to throw on a new set . yeah, i know i'm throwing money away. i don't think my wrx is complaining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.