"Shudder" at idle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "Shudder" at idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm fairly new to the WRX and Subaru's in general. My '06 WRX feels like it is "shuddering" (for lack ...

"Shudder" at idle

I'm fairly new to the WRX and Subaru's in general. My '06 WRX feels like it is "shuddering" (for lack of a better descriptor) when it idles. It seems that apart from this, the car runs just fine. I guess the question is if that is typical of these cars or is this a problem I should have someone look at?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

"I will say one thing. It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -Mario Andretti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

does it do this all the time or just occasionally? my 05 has a slight shake while idling, but its really intermittent... i've heard that this due to the odd circular firing order with subaru flat engines... also its rumored that people have solved this slight shake with the "grounding mod", but that's just improving (by a tiny little bit) the electron flow so that's a little too theoretical for my tastes...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

It's more of an intermittent thing. I mean, it's constant enough to do it pretty much every time I come to a stop, but it's not like it's shaking all the time. The only other car I've had with a flat engine was the Boxster (avatar), and it never did anything like this. I know that's not really a good comparison, but it's the only other somewhat similar engine I have experience with. From what you're saying, though, it's pretty typical of these engines. That makes me feel a bit better.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

"I will say one thing. It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -Mario Andretti

I Support ClubWRX
    It's normal as long as it's not a steady thing. Welcome to Subaru, it's actually one of the "character" traits I like about the wrx/sti.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

100% normal. Just another quirk of the Boxer lay-out. Another fun thing...when you idle put on your AC or turn your steering wheel sharply and the car will make more noise and idle higher.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.