Oil Smell

This is a discussion on Oil Smell within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my exhaust smell like oil now, I am and have been catless for a while and I have never ...

Oil Smell

So my exhaust smell like oil now, I am and have been catless for a while and I have never smelt this before. Its smells pretty strong sometimes when the heater is on and now my bumper is covered with a sticky light brown substance that I believe to be oil above my muffler. Is this because of the cold weather? Thanks for any help.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

try a thicker oil. mine got real noticeable when I switched to a lighter oil. (i went from 0w50 to 10w30 to save money) i plan to go back to conventional oil since 50 weight synthetics were still burning up for me.

its either your piston rings not sealing or your turbo seals not sealing... either way sucks. (although a turbo rebuild or a new turbo wouldn't be as bad)

Its seems to come and go with the cold.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

if your engine is at operating temps, your rings should be fully expanded and it shouldn't be burning oil... regardless of outside temps... however this would happen even when warm. as for the turbo seal, i don't think that would be affected by temperature.

unless your oil thins out too much in extreme cold, it may just be that you aren't noticing it when its warmer out. the coldest temps i've been in are right around 20 degree's... and last thing i cared to think about was the smell of my exhaust. (i'm in so cal and live by the beach, so that is really cold)

that might be it though... if you are running a 10w30, it would be affected in extreme cold... might wanna try a 5w30 or 0w30.

When my turbo seals went out there was a strong oil smell and I had to top off the oil every month. A test for bad turbo - listen for a faint warbling sound when you are under boost. That's what mine sounded like went it was shot.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

I am getting an 18g soon so I am going to ignor it till then.