larger oil filter??

This is a discussion on larger oil filter?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone use a larger than stock oil filter in their car?...

I Support ClubWRX

larger oil filter??

Anyone use a larger than stock oil filter in their car?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fram is bigger than stock...so yes.

I think most aftermarket filters are bigger than OEM...pureone, purolater, etc...
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand that the housings are slightly larger on most aftermarket crossovers, but have heard that they have the same equivalent filtering area.

I'm looking to find if anyone is using a substantially larger oil filter like 20% increased capacity, or knows the PN for one.

For example on my old Chevy Truck it called for a Ph 3960 but you could step up to a PH8 which was like 30% larger and would allow slightly more oil capacity.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I use AmsOil oil and oil filters, both fully synthetic and the oil filter is 98.7% efficiant at stoping 15 micron dirt from pasing through where as paper filters are like 39%.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Supertech ST7317 is bigger and fits. You can also use a purolator L14610. I had a better UOA with a supertech then a pureone btw on a nissan some years back.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They used to have a larger filter for the WRX stock when I first bought mine (2003), and the small one was just for the STi. They stopped making the large one because of heat soak and IIRC there was a TSB on it back then. So I like my small Subaru oil filter.

filters

you should be very careful about putting any filters on your car other than the one that is specified.Different filters have different working pressures and some have bypass valves that work on different pressures.putting the wrong filter on your car could cause oil starvation!!!!!.one reason subaru switched to a smaller filter is because of heat soak from the manifold from the larger filter.im sitting 10 feet away from around 7 thousand oil filters as i type this and i happen to know a littel bit about them.
    lagging wrx

Quote Originally Posted by Tbishop View Post
    .im sitting 10 feet away from around 7 thousand oil filters as i type this and i happen to know a littel bit about them.
    Allied Signal?
    RSX-S

allied signal?

no just some one who has seen the effects of a wrong oil filter installed.some u can get away with some u can't.but if you want to know what will fit i can tell you, i just dont advise doing it. here is purolator# stock is L14612,larger is L14610,L14620,L24458.fram # stock is PH6607, larger is PH7317,PH3593A
    lagging wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    The PL14610 is listed as stock in the Pep Boys/Puro ref books in stores. It has been for years, and it does resemble the initial ...A60 filters from SOA (made by Puro).

Fram 3593a and the Supertech (Wally) filter with the same number are also listed as stock by the respective books on site at stores, and/or the LCD screen gizmos.

14610 and 3593a are both larger than Subaru ...A80 and ...A100 for reasons having to do with distance to the exhaust (in other words, Subaru changed suppliers for reasons having nothing to do with the distance to the exhaust). If that's clear, great, as I wrote it and I don't understand it myself. I use either size and just don't care.

The PL14612 is rarely stocked down here by anyone I know of, from larger stores (X*marts and the like) to auto parts stores (Pep, 'Zone etc.).

Any filter maker should provide you with bypass pressures and specs, most via email. However, I do mean "maker" so if you're interested in a Mobil1 filter, for example, contact Champion Labs and so on.

To the Amsoil user, check out today's thread started by 302 regarding the oil TSB.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-07-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The PL14610 is listed as stock in the Pep Boys/Puro ref books in stores. It has been for years, and it does resemble the initial ...A60 filters from SOA (made by Puro).

Fram 3593a and the Supertech (Wally) filter with the same number are also listed as stock by the respective books on site at stores, and/or the LCD screen gizmos.
    Funny...I think my 'Zone lists PH6607 as stock for Fram. It seems to be only marginally bigger (10%-15) than the SOA filter.

Patrick
    RSX-S

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe the difference is year specific. This is what happens when I search for stock filter replacement for 2.0L turbo '02 Impreza:

http://autozone.com/addVehicleId,274...leSelected.htm
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.