Which oil do you use? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Which oil do you use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Mobil 1 and matching filter. 10w30...

Mobil 1 and matching filter. 10w30

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BSRT2004 View Post
    If someone can show me how to upload a pdf, i can show an article from an australian magazine that shows Royal Purple destroying about anything else out there in a test showing how well it keeps friction and what-not down.
    Do you have any used oil analysis data from your motor using this stuff? Bob's site has a bunch of Subaru turbo submissions, and a couple of us have posted our data here too. What I think I'm seeing from all those reports is that the top oils are all doing a good job, making the choice price, availability, or simply personal preference. It's difficult to go wrong with a top synth in our motors, but you can certainly pay more and/or make it difficult to find the stuff if you try.

I was looking at a bottle of Royal Purple yesterday. It does have an API SL donut but it didn't list any other specs (probably low budget or lack of interest from the company). It's also more expensive than M1 and I couldn't justify the additional cost given that M1 works so well in my motor. The wear numbers produced by M1 in my motor are in the single-digit range. No oil could significantly improve that IMO; there's nowhere to go (you can't have negative wear, and going from a value of 9 to a value of 1 for example for any given wear metal won't change the fact that the motor is likely to outlast the rest of the car at either the high-single-digit-wear or the low-single-digit-wear rate anyway).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletSTI View Post
    Just switched to Mobil 1 15W50, its their latest type of oil so I figured I'd try it. Should be awesome in the hot summer months, but for the winter I'll probably go back to 10W30.

oil that thick = not good. unless you are consistantly running on a racetrack and therefore heating that oil up high enough to thin it out so it can do its job. thin oil gets to the places it needs to, thick oil is, well, too thick to reach those places.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok guys you have scared me into synthetic. Its time for an oil change so I'm gonna go pick up some 5w30 Amsoil today. Its really good stuff albeit a little more difficult to come buy than M1, but a local race shop here (Toggnottis Autoworld) carries it along with M1, Royal Purple, Redline, Valvoline Syn, and Castrol.

Price independant of the above oils would you stick with M1?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post

Price independant of the above oils would you stick with M1?
    i would just based on availability. i can find M1 at walmart, where's the last palce you've been that didnt have a walmart?
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd stick with M1 based on convenience also. None of the other oils perform demonstrably, appreciably better and M1 can be picked up almost anywhere.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd stick with M1 based on convenience also. None of the other oils perform demonstrably, appreciably better and M1 can be picked up almost anywhere.
    +1, M1 is super easy to get, affordable and works great for me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    All chevy dealers carry it.

i actually just filled up with m1 again today

Mobil 1 and a purelator

I Support ClubWRX
    I changed it with M1 this weekend.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345