Which oil do you use? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which oil do you use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Slider How often do you change the tranny oil? Or at least when should it be changed ...

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    How often do you change the tranny oil? Or at least when should it be changed
    According to the survice manual you don't have to change it but have it inspected every 30k

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    i think the recommended is every 15k.
    I'm at 22k and I'm conserned...should i run out and have my tranny fluid changed right away?

edit:this brings me to another question, what about the dif. oil?
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Car oil...............................
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Pennzoil-Synthetic

engine oil
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    had my oil changed today...mobile 1

even with synth. i change my oil every 3k.
    how much did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_C6 View Post
    how much did it cost?
    60 freaking dollars! its just to damn cold out. i usually do it on my own in the summer time.

but the place i go to is really good, they come and show me the filter and oil they will be using, and they even use the tq. wrench to tighten the plug.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    I think you meant to say they eliminated the oil cooler because synthetic oil has a breakdown temperature which is alot higher than conventional oil. Although the synthetic oil may reduce friction and heat, the difference isn't much. So between the higher breakdown temperature of synthetic and the slightly (maybe 5 degree) lower temperatures because of the synth. oil they were able to eliminate an oil cooler.

I would rather run inexpensive dino oil and change it every 3000 miles than run synthetic for 5-6k miles. I can't justify the price difference in a new car as long as the oil is meeting the manufacturers specifications, and isn't breaking down from aggressive driving, etc.

nope. i meant to say just what i said. just by using synthetic oil the oil temperatures dropped significantly. this info was told to me by one of the higher up regional service managers at PCNA (porsche cars NA) btw . personally (and previous to that conversation) i have seen temp reductions of 20F or so only by switching from dino to syn. 20F is HUGE.

synthetic oil has a more even molecular size structure. the even sized molecules are able to spread out the workload and also remove heat from the engine more efficiently. a conventional oil by contrast has unevenly sized molecules - some big, some small, and the overall length of the molecule chain is shorter. so the small molecules take the brunt of the workload, work harder, (heat up more) and break down faster while the big molecules are just sort of there taking up space. that is why syn oil temperatures are cooler, and thats why syn oil lasts longer (less heat to break it down, and longer chains to break down.)

but if you cant justify using syn oil based on that alone, theres other reasons to use it. heres another: try putting a bowl of dino and a bowl of synthetic in the freezer. then take them out, examine (the dino will have icky white deposits formed at the top) and pour them out. the syn will pour smoother and quicker.
    Last edited by yo vanilla; 04-13-2007 at 08:54 AM.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

M1 5w-30 in the engine
    Uncle scotty's cocktail in the tranny
    RL 75w-90 in the diffy

There are some great molecules in most synthetics. They actually have a head group that likes metal, and a long slippery polymer based tail group which can flop around and act as lubrication. They actually try to form a monolayer across metal surfaces in the engine. I am not sure of exactly which companies use them, but Mobil definitely does.

The driving force for heat transfer won't change much over 20 degrees. Look at Newton's law of cooling. I can tell you that when your thermal breakdown temperature is 100+ degrees higher that will change the necessity of an oil cooler. I'm also pretty sure that you can run the car on dino without too many problems. Why would a more even molecule size dissipate heat more efficiently? I think you meant to say that synth. molecules are smaller, and of a more even size, but this won't have much to do with heat transfer. Electron movement should still be about the same, and this conduction between electrons is what transfers heat.

Chevy would need to put warnings all over, as some users will definitely try to fill up with dino oil. What has Chevy done to ensure that the engine will receive synthetic oil? Will the engine experience problems without it? Maybe, its hard to say. I'd like to see some testing done with dino oil in that 'vette engine to see what would happen.
    Last edited by LIV 2 RLY; 04-13-2007 at 09:05 AM.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    60 freaking dollars! its just to damn cold out. i usually do it on my own in the summer time.

but the place i go to is really good, they come and show me the filter and oil they will be using, and they even use the tq. wrench to tighten the plug.
    It cost $40 at my dealer with regular oil, I will ask for M1 and report back next time.

Went from M1 to Royal Purple with no ill effects. Been a year on Purple.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    +2
    +3

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_C6 View Post
    It cost $40 at my dealer with regular oil, I will ask for M1 and report back next time.
    You may want to wait until around 10k to switch out from the Dino oil. Some people think you need to give a bit of time to wear in and free up the motor. On the rare occasion I let the dealer change my oil (e.g. at 30K), I took in a 5 qt bottle of mobil 1 from walmart because it is really cheap there. Then it costs less than a normal oil change. Also, it seems like many of them have castrol syn for a slight premium.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    You may want to wait until around 10k to switch out from the Dino oil. Some people think you need to give a bit of time to wear in and free up the motor. On the rare occasion I let the dealer change my oil (e.g. at 30K), I took in a 5 qt bottle of mobil 1 from walmart because it is really cheap there. Then it costs less than a normal oil change. Also, it seems like many of them have castrol syn for a slight premium.
    Good idea, I will bring in the M1 from walmart to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    There are some great molecules in most synthetics. They actually have a head group that likes metal, and a long slippery polymer based tail group which can flop around and act as lubrication. They actually try to form a monolayer across metal surfaces in the engine. I am not sure of exactly which companies use them, but Mobil definitely does.

The driving force for heat transfer won't change much over 20 degrees. Look at Newton's law of cooling. I can tell you that when your thermal breakdown temperature is 100+ degrees higher that will change the necessity of an oil cooler. I'm also pretty sure that you can run the car on dino without too many problems. Why would a more even molecule size dissipate heat more efficiently? I think you meant to say that synth. molecules are smaller, and of a more even size, but this won't have much to do with heat transfer. Electron movement should still be about the same, and this conduction between electrons is what transfers heat.

Chevy would need to put warnings all over, as some users will definitely try to fill up with dino oil. What has Chevy done to ensure that the engine will receive synthetic oil? Will the engine experience problems without it? Maybe, its hard to say. I'd like to see some testing done with dino oil in that 'vette engine to see what would happen.

well i dont own a Z06, but i can tell you that most if not all cars with factory fill M1 have a sticker in the bay instructing to use it. evo's do, MB's do, porsche's do etc.

evenly sized molecules - the small molecules carry the workload. so the fact that in syn oil they are all small and evenly sized means that all of the oil carries the workload. if there are big and small molecules such as in dino oil, then the small ones take the workload and the big ones don't. so the small ones are doing more work, and there is less of them, therefore they cannot carry as much heat away form the engine. the oil gets hotter and breaks down faster.

and a small change is definitely alot. actually audi owners manuals will state that even an engine 1/2qt low on oil will run a high enough oil temp to be noteworthy. when the longitudinal 1.8T's were having sludging problems a larger oil filter was the "fix", which added 1/2qt capasity.

in other words, just a small difference in oil makes a significant difference in oil temperatures, and i can guarantee that difference is alot closer to 20F than 100F
    Last edited by yo vanilla; 04-13-2007 at 12:02 PM.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast