Which oil do you use? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which oil do you use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Mobile 1 synthetic ftw...that is when it comes time to change my oil and get rid of the stuff that ...

Mobile 1 synthetic ftw...that is when it comes time to change my oil and get rid of the stuff that came with the car.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Motul 8100 (full synthetic)

My dealer (flagship dealership of Subaru of Canada) offers M1 as part of the premium oil change service, but what they don't advertise is that they carry Motul too... I have to ask for it. It costs a little more, but I like it and makes the motor run silky smooth... if Motul is good enough for the WRC Subie, its good enough for me
    Last edited by drummerboy; 04-12-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    Filippo Berio Exrta Virgin Olive.

Oh ... M1 5W-30 in the WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

mobil 1 +1

Royal Purple for engine and trans, Subaru LSD oil for the rear.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

How often do you change the tranny oil? Or at least when should it be changed
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

i think the recommended is every 15k.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    i think the recommended is every 15k.
    what is the best tranny fluid to use?

I've always used Castrol GTX 5w30 but seriously considering Royal Purple in the WRX...never owned a car this nice

I Support ClubWRX
    Using Amsoil European Car 5W-40 right now. Have used M1 5W-30 in the past.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

3 in 1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

had my oil changed today...mobile 1

even with synth. i change my oil every 3k.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    3 in 1
    Yeah, and a little PB Blaster for cold weather!

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    i've had alot of people tell me that synthetic oil is a waste of money. i usually find that those people dont know jack about oil. i.e. "its all the same" mentality.

by C6 i am asuming you mean corvette. here's a tibdit i learned once. z06 engineers discovered a cost savings of $400 by switching to synthetic oil vs conventional. the synthetic oil by itsself lowered temperatures so much that they did not need to use an external oil cooler (thus the $400 savings). so the ls6 got factory fill M1.

so for your sti, do some more research and decide. you want cooler oil temps, use a synthetic. you want to chance coking the oil, use conventional. (plus all the other differences of course)

p.s. i've been using M1 for around 10 years now.
    I think you meant to say they eliminated the oil cooler because synthetic oil has a breakdown temperature which is alot higher than conventional oil. Although the synthetic oil may reduce friction and heat, the difference isn't much. So between the higher breakdown temperature of synthetic and the slightly (maybe 5 degree) lower temperatures because of the synth. oil they were able to eliminate an oil cooler.

I would rather run inexpensive dino oil and change it every 3000 miles than run synthetic for 5-6k miles. I can't justify the price difference in a new car as long as the oil is meeting the manufacturers specifications, and isn't breaking down from aggressive driving, etc.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by armysti View Post
    what is the best tranny fluid to use?
    That is a hottly debated topic. Even with all the test data out there, I honestly think it all comes down to preference. Read the bottle, make sure what you're getting matches the requirements of your car. I use RP 75/90. The bottle says it is good for manual transmission, wont hinder synchro action but also contains a friction additive. I havent had any problems with it in 4k, even when cold(10F), it was fine. Plus the bottle says, adds horsepower!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.