Insurance and Mods - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Insurance and Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by JPinMD Hey, I didn't know it was just the caliper when I had it towed to the ...

Quote Originally Posted by JPinMD View Post
    Hey, I didn't know it was just the caliper when I had it towed to the dealer! I lost brake pressure while driving (scary and dangerous), had a lot of noise from the left rear, pulled over and saw the caliper was dislodged and impacting the rim. I couldn't diagnose it beyond that, and it wasn't safe to drive. So I call Geico for the tow. Fitzgerald quoted me $650 to fix it - I'm not kidding - and I have a $250 deductable. Geico was already in it - they opened a claim when I got the tow. Now maybe I should have had it towed again - I certainly regret leaving it there, so that would have been a better choice, despite the hassle, and I should have paid out of pocket blah blah blah. But that is all hindsight. The total cost came in at just over $500.

My problem is that it seemed they went out of their way to find mods on my vehicle. It would be like there was a joint in the glove box, they find it and call the cops. .

And I've been plenty nice to that dealership - bought two cars there, the WRX in '04 and a new Forester in January '07 - cash. Plus I have my car towed there for the repair, right? That's like $45,000 in total niceness?

Also, I just don't see where I attacked anyone - read my post, it is factual. Then I said I was the a$$hole, so I guess I attacked myself. My bad!

All I'm getting from you guys is what I could have done if I had known what would happen beforehand - great.
    I was not trying to attack you. I apologize if that is how you felt. The way corporations are nowadays is to find the best way to make the most money from their customers. For some companies, repeat business does not always merrit discounts for you...sadly enough. And, Geico was just being thorough on the investigation of your claim. You should not be upset that they asked the service rep and honest question, nor be upset with the rep for giving an honest answer. It happened and it cannot be undone now.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Aside from not patroning that dealership anymore, it sounds like the damage has been done, the money has been spent.

The reason Geico or any insurance company or warranting body (SOA) would examin your car in the manner they did, is that they are worried about their bottom line.
    Money makes the world go round, and they are trying to keep a little more by dening fradulent claims.
    I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has (not saying you are) submitted a claim and tried to have them cover fradulence or excessive wear/abuse. There are a whole slew of mods not directly connected to the brake system that can have a vast effect on their performance, life span, duty cycle and failure.

Its a game of statistics, and companies know that if you are stage 2 with hawk pads or crossdrilled rotors, braded lines and blue racing fluid, that you are more likely to be hard on your car and quite possibly might have raced it or tracked it. To them these aren't coverable behaviors because it isn't seen to be within the normal operating scope of the vehicle.

bottom line:

Increase in power directly correlates to higher breaking stresses i.e., It takes more force to stop.

This is why they went over your car with a fine tooth comb, they are trying to keep their expendetures down and in turn their customers rates lower. Pretty standard procedure really.

As for what are you gonna do? I dunno if there is much you can do, but learn for next time.
    +1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As my father is a lawyer and knowing a little, the dealer gave out too much info. If asked by geico about the car, they can play dumb. A proper response from the dealer is, we dont know of any modifications on his car.

I would also ask to speak to the owner of the dealer. I would carefully threaten him with what your going to do because his flunkie opened up his trap. Tell him you are going to create a website to steer customers away from the dealership. Freedom of speech protects here unless you use the wrong slander. If you use google, google up ricart and Look at the 2nd search result. This dealer would be smart to repay you what you might loose due to this and then some then loose a few sales if you create a website.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeythejew View Post
    I would also ask to speak to the owner of the dealer. I would carefully threaten him with what your going to do because his flunkie opened up his trap. Tell him you are going to create a website to steer customers away from the dealership. Freedom of speech protects here unless you use the wrong slander. If you use google, google up ricart and Look at the 2nd search result. This dealer would be smart to repay you what you might loose due to this and then some then loose a few sales if you create a website.
    I strongly advise against this. There is no quicker way to get your car stuck in a limbo of brokenness than a threat of force to your dealer. Kill them with kindness, you'll get a much better result on all fronts. You get confrontational and are seen as uncooperative and an Axxhole.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

As my father is a lawyer and knowing a little, the dealer gave out too much info. If asked by geico about the car, they can play dumb. A proper response from the dealer is, we dont know of any modifications on his car.
    I question your knowledge of the law. Just because your father is a lawyer, as you claim, does not make you one in the least bit, as you have clearly proved to everyone here.

If a car is lowered with aftermarket rims, a full-atmospheric blow-off valve and a fart-can for an exhaust, there's no invasion of privacy if the whole world sees and hears it when it is going down the road.

Besides, the claims adjuster has every right to see the vehicle the company is covering in order to make the correct decision of whether or not to cover the cost for repairs. That is why a body shop will photo document the damage of a vehicle; to send the images to the insurance agency. By making a phonecall he/she just saved him/herself a trip to the dealer, or found cause to see the vehicle first-hand.

I Support ClubWRX
    LMFAO.... My dad's a lawyer so you should post a threatening website.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is plain and simple stupid.

Be nice, polite, and kind and you will get way farther IN LIFE then being a sue happy, attorney calling, tool bag. He has no grounds at all to sue. Again you have no idea how the conversation between the tech and insurance company went. If the insurance company asks for any modifications at all to the car do you expect the tech to lie? He has no reason to lie it isnt his car and he's going to get paid either way.

The insurance company has a direct relationship between the car, the dealership, and the owner. THere is no right to privacy at all.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post

Be nice, polite, and kind and you will get way farther IN LIFE then being a sue happy, attorney calling, tool bag.
    You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word. - Al Capone

I don't know why, but this thread reminded me of this quote.

I had a little too much to drink friday it looks like and get goofy when so. I just remember growing up seeing what my father pulled off right or wrong. Unless the dealer has a body shop and one that wants to kiss ass to geico on ins claims, what business is it to tell what mods a car might have? Lets get the right answer, not a perceived correct one. I dont think it's been answered by any of us yet. I think it boils down to the dealer didnt have to give out any information by simply stating "we dont know of any mods on his car". If that verbal over the phone quote was used to begin with then you wouldnt be reading this now. And trying to hold the dealer liable for it wouldnt hold up in court. The relationship with a dealer with a body shop who kisses ass to geico claims could be affected even though his car was in for a mechanical repair.

I Support ClubWRX
    My understanding was that with insurance to cars.. if you don't claim it, they don't cover it. So if you have a 5000 dollar paint job, and don't claim it, they don't cover it. Or if you get a front mount intercooler and it gets damaged, they don't cover it when you don't have it claimed on your insurance. So as long as dude doesn't want it covered, then y doesn't he just call Geico and tell em he doesn't want to claim all that sh!t.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sounds like "Josh" needs a serious beating...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    My understanding was that with insurance to cars.. if you don't claim it, they don't cover it. So if you have a 5000 dollar paint job, and don't claim it, they don't cover it. Or if you get a front mount intercooler and it gets damaged, they don't cover it when you don't have it claimed on your insurance. So as long as dude doesn't want it covered, then y doesn't he just call Geico and tell em he doesn't want to claim all that sh!t.
    This is the long and short of it.
    Geico ( or most any other insurance carrier ) wants to ensure you ( and they ) are fully covered in the event of a total loss type of accident. Like stated if you put $10k in mods but don't declare it to your provider then go ole KBB determines your vehicle worth.
    If you really do have that uber expensive stereo system then make sure your carrier knows it. Yes, this does mean a potentially higher premium ( the total vehicle value is higher, thusly a higher payout in case of theft or accident ).
    Engine mods are different depending on the insurance company. You can cover your ride for "net worth" which is a value YOU set forth and ultimately pay on. Again a 10 second WRX is gonna be worth more than a similar stock model so don't expect to pay the same premium for both unless all you want a check for in the end is a stock WRX.
    Now I don't think the ONLY reason they inquired about mods is for your benefit. Say you or your beer buddies had installed a big brake kit the previous weekend, do you think Geico would replace it with anything other than a stock part you did/did not claim was on it?
    Sorry, soap box is put away. Talk to Geico about Total Worth coverage. Make sure you estimate your mod worth as accurately as possible. No need to get shorted if something bad happens or pay too much in premiums if you overshoot the values.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Progressive insurance FTW! I got a letter when my new policy period began. It stated something along these lines, but not exactly. They will cover "custom" wheels and body parts for no extra cost on your monthly premieum. Now do everyone start calling me a liar, I said something like that. I will have to look for the letter and post it up on here.

Progressive is a great company none the less. They are oper 24/7, so anytime I needed anything, had a question, or had to pay late or early they were there to help me no problem. Also I have had to make a few claimes, 1 for vandelisim and one for hitting a deer. They never looked at me crossed eyed or ever doubted anything I told them. My car is not stock, and they know that. There is a claim center and body shop in one a few miles from my work. I have had the car worked on at my works bodyshop and their body shop. They don't pressure you into using their body shop at all. They encouraged me to use mine if it was more convienient. Even when they did body work for me, it was great. And they were more than happy to do a few extra things for me, for free. Such as painting the grey plastic in the lower air dam and around the foglights to match the rest of the car. They also painted my c-west grille and headlight inserts( peices between the headlights and grille) for no charge too. Plus touched up my stock wheels that "I" painted, no charge.

I am VERY pleased with progressive Ins. Co. and I would say to anyone to check them out. I pay under $200 a month for full coverage on my 02 WRX with all my deductables at $250, and I have had my licence suspended 4-5times, had to get a point reduction test, 1 at fault accident, 3 total, and a DUI!!!
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    Progressive insurance FTW! I got a letter when my new policy period began. It stated something along these lines, but not exactly. They will cover "custom" wheels and body parts for no extra cost on your monthly premieum. Now do everyone start calling me a liar, I said something like that. I will have to look for the letter and post it up on here.

Progressive is a great company none the less. They are oper 24/7, so anytime I needed anything, had a question, or had to pay late or early they were there to help me no problem. Also I have had to make a few claimes, 1 for vandelisim and one for hitting a deer. They never looked at me crossed eyed or ever doubted anything I told them. My car is not stock, and they know that. There is a claim center and body shop in one a few miles from my work. I have had the car worked on at my works bodyshop and their body shop. They don't pressure you into using their body shop at all. They encouraged me to use mine if it was more convienient. Even when they did body work for me, it was great. And they were more than happy to do a few extra things for me, for free. Such as painting the grey plastic in the lower air dam and around the foglights to match the rest of the car. They also painted my c-west grille and headlight inserts( peices between the headlights and grille) for no charge too. Plus touched up my stock wheels that "I" painted, no charge.

I am VERY pleased with progressive Ins. Co. and I would say to anyone to check them out. I pay under $200 a month for full coverage on my 02 WRX with all my deductables at $250, and I have had my licence suspended 4-5times, had to get a point reduction test, 1 at fault accident, 3 total, and a DUI!!!
    lolzers.... how do u have a license???
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    PSA: If anybody sees a black WRX in Philly or D-Town (where ever the hell that is) get off of the road IMMEDIATELY.
    2011 DGM sedan
    1995 Miata

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast