misfiring?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on misfiring? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what is it exactly when the car is running a rough misfire and what does it feel like? my car ...

misfiring?

what is it exactly when the car is running a rough misfire and what does it feel like?

my car threw a cel and when i took it to the dealership, they said that i was running a rough misfire. i noticed that as i climb into the higher rpms, it feels as if the car is bucking and i have to let off gas and get back on it to smooth it out, and it doesn't always get smooth like this. it's starting to get really frustrating because it just keeps bucking and blowing black smoke out of my exhaust

is this the misfiring? how would i fix?

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that definitely sounds like a misfire, it gets worse cuz the longer you drive it like that the sooner the cat is going to die...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

what r ur mods ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

sounds like boost/ fuel cut from a happy foot with high boost. the subaru tends to do this when you raise the boost on a stock map even as little as .3 pounds from the stock 14.7 to 15 psi. i know i have had this problem with my suby. this is mainly common in dsm's because of a very ****ty ecu stock base map. i assume the same for the subaru, the ecu's adaptive capabilities are far from advanced just a personel opinion on what subaru could improve on.
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    what r ur mods ?
    i dont know if you've seen one of my older threads, but i bought the car modded and don't know what some of the mods are exactly.

as far as i know,
    sti intercooler
    perrin fuel rails
    some IHI turbo
    turbosmart vee-port bov
    injen cai
    some exhaust
    some up/dp

gda, so are you saying that if i get some sort of EM the issue will probably go away? i intend on getting an accessport and accessport protune soon.

Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    i dont know if you've seen one of my older threads, but i bought the car modded and don't know what some of the mods are exactly.

as far as i know,
    sti intercooler
    perrin fuel rails
    some IHI turbo
    turbosmart vee-port bov
    injen cai
    some exhaust
    some up/dp

gda, so are you saying that if i get some sort of EM the issue will probably go away? i intend on getting an accessport and accessport protune soon.
    i am not saying anthing, i cant because im not there to work on or see the car myself but it sounds like that is the problem. the same that i had until i got the accessport, but every situation is not the same. also if you are running the vf39 sti turbo with no injector upgrade or tune, or the sti turbo and bigger injectors with no tune then i would say that is most likely the problem

btw how many #s are you running
    Last edited by gda03subaru; 04-13-2007 at 02:13 AM.
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

#s?

can anyone else vouch for the fact that a tune might resolve my misfiring issues? i don't want to spend a lot of money getting it tuned and then realizing that it didn't help much

and i think that if i do get it tuned, i'm just going to get it tuned on the stock ecu. no accessport+accessport protune.

how is ESX's tuning? i have a friend who has a wrx with very similar mods to mine without the aftermarket turbo and fuel rails, and he had his tuned by ESX.

a rich misfire is either from running obsenely rich, or a cylinder not firing due to plugs, or coil packs.

a lean misfire is the opposite. not enough gas, or too much air. either way its not good.

the black smoke is excess fuel. does it idle ok, or does it have trouble idling.

if you dont have a tune, thats a huge problem. talk to the guy you bought the car from, and ask him if he had the car tuned professionally. if not, id recomend not drivin until you get atleast a base map on there.
    07 white STi in CT

i still say it is not a misfire but boost/ fuel cut, but thats just me and what do i know
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwrxduksa View Post
    a rich misfire is either from running obsenely rich, or a cylinder not firing due to plugs, or coil packs.

a lean misfire is the opposite. not enough gas, or too much air. either way its not good.

the black smoke is excess fuel. does it idle ok, or does it have trouble idling.

if you dont have a tune, thats a huge problem. talk to the guy you bought the car from, and ask him if he had the car tuned professionally. if not, id recomend not drivin until you get atleast a base map on there.
    it idles fine at around 800-900 rpm. and i know that the subaru dealership told me that the car was running rich.
    i bought the car from a used car dealership and i can't contact the previous owner =/

i think i'll just go to esx and get it tuned. will a tune fix a rich misfire for sure though?

it could or it could not, but it will not be money wasted tuning is the best way to get the most power out of a turbo or high hp n/a. so if anything it should be faster and the power delivery will be smoother not so sparatic like subys tend to be
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

hehe yep. i'm getting a complete inspection and open-source tune on friday. i hope it resolves everything!

does anybody have a stock BPV they really don't want anymore, btw?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

i am going through a very similar situation. bought my car used from someone who just didn't take care of it. i've had to get a new trans, driver-side wheel bearing... i'm getting white/gray smoke. CEL misfire cylinder 4. new spark plugs put in (plug on 4 was fouled). turbo is fine. thought it might not be and would need a rebuild but it's okay. head gasket is fine. no leaking in there. so i'm getting a new coil-pack/igniter for the problem area. maybe it's the exhaust? maybe the muffler is soaked with oil? but i only recently started getting the smoke. we ran the car without the exhaust (normally the exhaust is completely catless) and no smoke...wtf?

but now the car is also making a high-pitched whine. i believe it's the turbo. the sound is not coming from the belts. only recently started doing this. no oil in the turbo though. i found oil in the IC piping, and cleaned it out but i did not have time to get to the IC itself. i will be doing this tonight after class. it's going to take a long while as it's a FMIC.

i could have posted separately but figured we are in similar situations. help please. also, the car is not being driven anymore. i need to get a tune. i have posted a similar topic in the engine management section in terms of reference to my mods... and yeah AVCR, SAFC and MRT are going. they are not ideal for a WRX.

i will also have my car towed to yimi sport in santa clarita to have them do an opensource tune. i will need to either get a restrictor pill (factory) or a prodrive 3 port solenoid for the tune.

yimi is where i'm getting everything done right now

they actually couldn't tune mine yet because it's still running strangely. on some dyno pulls it runs insanely rich, then other times it runs sorta lean. they're gonna be putting a stock intake on it because the CAI is probably what everything is stemming from.

i'm also getting new spark plugs and maybe coil packs.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast