throttle body sound key on engine off
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on throttle body sound key on engine off within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; May sound stupid, but I never noticed it before. With the key in the ignition position but the engine not ...

throttle body sound key on engine off

May sound stupid, but I never noticed it before. With the key in the ignition position but the engine not running, I notice a whining sound coming from the throttle body.
    Is this normal? Probably it just priming itself for start. I know alot of cars do make noises similar to this. One example is a Hyundai which make a loud ticking sound with the key on engine off.
    Am I just now noticing something that's always been there? Does your car do this?
    I have an 06 wrx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any body? Normal right. Have you tried it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sitting in the car when you hear this or are you actually near the T/B. If you are sitting in the car it's probaly the fuel pump priming. I'm not sure at what point the injectors start spitting fuel but it doesnt make sense for them to do it on the "on" position.

Moving to maintaince/service.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

is it a drive by wire system?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Yeah, it's a drive by wire.
    I had the hood open and was looking around under the hood and noticed it. It sounded a little strange so I went to look where it was coming from. Basically, the plastic thing with the wire harness right by the throttle body. (sorry about the no tech terms) Anyway, I just hadn't heard the car do that before. It runs pretty much perfect. So I'm not too worried. Just wondering if somethings changed or on the way out. I have worked on cars in mobile electronics for years. Usually, it is a hyndai with a horrible ticking noise with the key on engine off. I didn't know subarus made any sound at all. I suppose I am just now noticing it. I never noticed it on the toyotas I've owned. Just thought maybe someone else had heard a similar noise. Probably nothing at all to worry about anyway. I am probably just overly anal about my car. But isn't everyone on here too. Thanks for any responces. It is the 06 wrx.

it is the stepper motor which controls the throttle plate.

on non DBW cars you also hear it, but in that case it's coming from the idle air control valve (which is also a stepper motor).

I'm sure its normal, but just out of curiosity, how long after key on did you notice it? I know on some systems, after 10 seconds, the throttle will do a full sweep, for initialization. after 3 to 10 seconds the fuel pump relay will click off, with a drive by wire system there is no IAC,so thats not it. I've worked on Kia for several years, they do make weird noises sometimes. Does it do it all the time, can you duplicate it? Sorry for all this, i'm just trained to be inquisitive.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

You know I'm not sure how long the key was on. Probably a long time. I was looking around in my car and under the hood and stuff. I will try to check it out again tomorrow and duplicate it. I will not worry about it anymore. Only if I develop a problem. Appreciate the responce.

Revival

TPS whinin' and a buzzing

Sorry I posted this earlier.

Are you still hearing this? I'm hearing it on an 06 - drive by wire.
    I've got a friend with an 07 STI - we are going out in 20 minutes to check his out.

I tried the stupidru dealer and the old hag at the dealer refused to let one guy come out and listen. I spent more time dealing with her vs. someone actually just listening.
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

Friend's STI has the same sound, but fainter. His is an '07 with less than 1500 miles on it for certain. So, some sound is normal. Mine is louder with some crackling... good thing I have a fire extinguisher in the car.
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

Yeah, still hear it. It must be normal. Just never noticed it when I first purchased the car. Any time the key is in ignition position.
    Cool, everything is normal.

Has it gotten louder?
    I swear mine is louder. Guess I'll get a service manual and see how tough they are to change...
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

Hard to say. I know I didn't use to notice it. I have almost 15k. How many do you have?
    I swear everything runs fine. god wrx owners are anal.
    --06 wrx lmtd.--grey
    sti ic, txs exhaust, perrin sways & links, perrin ss, agency knob, jl amps & sub, mbqurt qsd216,
    spt intake, ecutek

22k miles on mine.

Seriously anal - i usually hear thing in other people's cars that they dont hear or they say "Yeah, so?!?"

That's because we CARE...
    Same with my wife - if I she says any keywords but still follows with "I'm fine", i'm quick running through the list of items I might have done wrong... because we CARE. Or something.
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

True true. Anal in a good way though.
    I usually am bumping my stereo pretty hard. But, about half the time now it seems I am cruising with it off just to hear the sounds coming from my car. Anything sound different? Something new? I swear I am nuts!!!
    But you know as well as I do, paying attention to everything will only pay off in the long run. Especially to things you love.
    --06 wrx lmtd.--grey
    sti ic, txs exhaust, perrin sways & links, perrin ss, agency knob, jl amps & sub, mbqurt qsd216,
    spt intake, ecutek

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.