Engine knock please help?

This is a discussion on Engine knock please help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey clubwrx.net, my egine is make this tapping/fluttering sound at idle and at low reving. It sound like its coming ...

Engine knock please help?

Hey clubwrx.net, my egine is make this tapping/fluttering sound at idle and at low reving. It sound like its coming from somewhere around or near the turbo. I have a Invidia dp w/divorced wastegate. do u think the flapper on the waste gate is tapping the downpipe. If so is it fixable? should i get a new dp. Any helpful suggestion on what it could be......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it a click clack noise or a tap clack if you barely rev it? If so its not your exhaust i have an all stock exhaust and i have the same noise coming from the backside near the turbo. No idea! It is a scary noise to hear. I have a tech buddy and subaru and he hasnt heard my car yet but he thinks it could be the infamous curse of piston slap of the flat four. or i was thinking i seperated a piston skirt. Why is it coming from the turbo side of the motor on both of our cars? If you listen closer it is coming from the bell housing area on the back left side of the motor. i suggest take to a tech whos been with suby about 10 years or more maybe he has heard it before and knows what the noise is since nobody on these forums or nasioc does
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

hey wait i might know you if you live in corpus? im from there i now live in austin
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRB04 View Post
    Hey clubwrx.net, my egine is make this tapping/fluttering sound at idle and at low reving. It sound like its coming from somewhere around or near the turbo. I have a Invidia dp w/divorced wastegate. do u think the flapper on the waste gate is tapping the downpipe. If so is it fixable? should i get a new dp. Any helpful suggestion on what it could be......
    Do you have any performance problems? Does the sound get louder?

Is it just your wastegate working? Commonly referred to as wastegate flutter?

List all your mods.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

i dont know about him but my performance doesnt decline and it is not flutter, it is a very odd knock but only for a second and then goes away.

My mods are as follows

Hyperflow top mount
    Greddy type rs bov
    turbo xs manual boost controller @ 15 psi
    apexi super n1 cat back
    fresh ngk factory plugs
    stock manifold
    stock turbo
    stock up pipe and downpipe

the noise started about 3 thousand miles ago and i have 66k on the car
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gda03subaru View Post
    Greddy type rs bov
    the noise started about 3 thousand miles ago and i have 66k on the car
    This bov is death to a WRX. Most instances causes both a rich and lean condition at idle and while shifting. Put stock one back on and see if sound goes away.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

what if i recirculate it? I have the kit that came with the greddy for the wrx since the stock bypass hose to the inake is no more and that is my only right now option. I was thinking about putting the stock intercooler and bov but i have to get that hose
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

the tapping starts when the car is starting up. then it just idles with a constant tap. when i bareley rev, it gets louder. I haven't been driving it but when i heard the problem it sound extemely bad when i was in firstgear and shifting between 2000-2500 rpms. My mods are stage 2 w/ invidia divorced dp, invidia catback

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRB04 View Post
    the tapping starts when the car is starting up. then it just idles with a constant tap. when i bareley rev, it gets louder. I haven't been driving it but when i heard the problem it sound extemely bad when i was in firstgear and shifting between 2000-2500 rpms. My mods are stage 2 w/ invidia divorced dp, invidia catback
    It dies?

Humm well sounds like your motor has internal issues. In which case take it too a shop to assess the damage. or DIY Start with a compression check on all 4 cylinders.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

no it doesn't die, it idles perfectly normal. Im takin it to the dealership tomorrow. But our corpus christi dealer is so small that they only have Subaru technicians at the shop on certain days, i hope it doesn't take to long to get it back on streets

how many miles do you have?
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

about 53,000

my timing tensioner failed at 63k a little rare but not unheard of, when this happened i jumped one tooth advanced and somehow avoided damage to the valves. It jumped while it was warming up in front of my apartment at about 1500 rpms. when it jumped it made a very distinct tapping from the cam angle position sensor not sending the signal at the correct time.. Before this happend a remember hearing a tapping/ticking noise under a load around 2300 to 3500 rpms, when the cogged tensioner starts to fail, despite what you have heard cog tensioners could take up to several days of driving to actually fail, (a couple of my dsms proved that) the way the wrx tensioner is made causes it to make that sound right befores it goes heres a pic of my failed tensioner. This tensioner rod in pic loses its strength and allows the rod to tap the surface on which it is pushing on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	71293
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

That sounds alot like my situation. it used to make a ticking/fluttering noise on a load at 3000rpms but i wouldn't hear it fefore or after 3k. So how did you fix it and how much did it cost.

replace the timing belt and tensioner about 700 bucks here in austin. but see what the techs there have to say first before you spend a crap load of money not fixing the problem.
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?