Running lean
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Running lean within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car has been running lean when I step on the gas all the way. At least I think it's ...

Wink Running lean

My car has been running lean when I step on the gas all the way. At least I think it's running lean because my exhaust temp is reaching 900. I changed the fuel filter and ran some injector cleaners, but I think the problem is with the MAF sensor. I cleaned the sensor with MAF sensor cleaner, but it didn't help. I'm running VF34, STI injectors, K&N filter, Walbro fuel pump, and Ecutek reflash. The ECU reflash was about 3 years ago, and I haven't done anything else to the car since then.

On the bright side, since I can't really step on the gas, I'm getting 26 MPG.
    Thanks,
    Ali

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

900 degrees is not too bad IMHO.
    FWIW a buddy of mine did some experimentation for this exact issue recently. Turbo folks in the know suggested he clean his air filter?!? I thought they were crazy but low and behold his EGT's dropped by almost 100 degrees at idle and WOT!!!
    Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue but it may not hurt to clean and oil your K&N.
    As you probably already know less is more with the oil ( MAF's don't like excess filter oil ).
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

i recently had a lean problem on my 02. it turned out to be "tired inhectors"

get a fuel pressure gauge and splice in right after the fuel filter. make sure that fuel pressure is increasing with boost. also, look for crimped or crushed lines. and the sock on the pump itself.

hope this helps out
    07 white STi in CT

I cleaned and oiled my air filter a couple of weeks after this problem started. I cleaned my MAF sensor too with MAF cleaner spray. My temperature had never gone above approximately 850. That's where I set my warning light on my exhaust temp gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
    FWIW a buddy of mine did some experimentation for this exact issue recently. Turbo folks in the know suggested he clean his air filter?!? I thought they were crazy but low and behold his EGT's dropped by almost 100 degrees at idle and WOT!!!
    Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue but it may not hurt to clean and oil your K&N.
    As you probably already know less is more with the oil ( MAF's don't like excess filter oil ).
    Thanks,
    Ali

Air Flow Meter

hey i would check your afm, the oil from the air filter sticks to the afm even know they have a hotwire the oil burnes out the element... i have the same prob at the moment

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
    I think his gauge is reading celsius. 900 celsius is about 1650 farenheight, which is just about to the melting piston realm. 1550 to 1600 is about the highest you want to go.

Banned
    Lets hope so

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.