Synthetic Oil question for 2007 WRX

This is a discussion on Synthetic Oil question for 2007 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My engine just reached 1050miles past the break in period. Can I switch to synthetic Oil Mobil 1 or do ...

Synthetic Oil question for 2007 WRX

My engine just reached 1050miles past the break in period. Can I switch to synthetic Oil Mobil 1 or do I have to wait until the 3,000 oil change interval. I dont like the idea of using factory conventional oil.

Please advise

J

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was wondering that same thing. I have a 07 sti. I just rolled 1k miles. The dealer told me the STI doesnt like Mobil 1. Ive also heard that you dont change the oil at 1k (for the first service), your supposed to wait until 3k? (for the first service) Any thoughts?

Steve.

there are so many different view points on this its just nuts... i waited to 1500 to drain the factory oil and switched to Mobil1 fully synth 5W30, i switched to 10W30 at 13500 and have been running that since... all you can do is see what others have done and make your own decision... i switched to synth because the oil temp goin through a turbo engine can climb pretty close to where dino oil starts to break down ~240F, i've hit 230F goin up mountains measured with my oil temp gauge), synth on the other hand leaves lots of safety net (~450F)...
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 04-02-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

I Support ClubWRX
    +2 as there are several different theroies on this. It is widely accepted that it isnt recommened to go fully syn. until after 10k miles (usually on the 12k oil change). Some people have ran syn. oil from the first oil change on and have had no issues.

I personally will follow they syn. at 12k and first oil change around 3k. I do not beat on my car while the factory break in oil is in it. The car will not see any really hard pulls or red lines until that stuff is out of there. I just find it hard to believe that 1,000 miles is a maricle number when the car can be beat the crap out of.

Nasioc.com/forum has some great threads reference to oil types/intervals. If you search over there I personally know you can spend about 3-4 hours reading up on it (because I did).

A lot of people use Mobil 1 5-30 on these boards with no issues.

From all my research as long as you check the oil regularly (I do every fill up) change it within the recommend time frame with a good filter (I use factory), drain plug, and gasket you should be fine no matter what oil you use as long as the oil is of a decent name brand.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"