Lean System Conditions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Lean System Conditions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well, first of all, hi to everyone! , i just purchased a 02' wrx lightly modded, which includeds a SSQV ...

Lean System Conditions

well, first of all, hi to everyone! , i just purchased a 02' wrx lightly modded, which includeds a SSQV BOV, Racing clutch, and an aftermarket cone filter connected to the stock intake, and a turbo timer... i have been happy with her until a couple of days ago when it threw a CEL, decided to chekc my fuel cap and reset the system... good for about two days, and then it threw a CEL again....checked it out at an auto zone, and code P0171 (lean system bank 1) came up... therefore I am running lean... I've done research and concluded that the reasons are the following:
    Vacuum Leak...not Boost leak
    O2 sensor
    Fuel Pressure
    Exhaust leak

I am just wondering what else could it be... , i will be checking the fuel pressure and checking for loose/disconnected hoses.... any help will be extremely appreciated, please, BTW, the second time the light came on i just reseted the ECU and it was good for about a 100miles, then i did it again thinking it was a glitch and it was good for 40 miles.... could it be that im just running lean "sometimes"? or is it the type of fuel? because i made the mistake of putting 87 octane in it thinking it was 91 octane, there is not hesitation, bogging, loss in performance or overheating...please any input would help
    Last edited by InfernoAWD; 03-30-2007 at 09:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My money is on the ghetto intake causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    My money is on the ghetto intake causing it.
    +1

Your mod list is not so good.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

so...imma try to go back to stock air box, and check the pressure...anything else? tuninG?

take the bov as well and put the stock one on
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Well, just wondering...how much would a stock airbox and a stock BOV would cost??? a range?

Well, just wondering...how much would a stock airbox and a stock BOV would cost??? a range in prices?

You could get an SPT Intake from TheKingofParts if you would like an intake. That one at least works.

The BOV while not the best shouldn't cause horrible problems.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

you can eliminate the O2, odd MAF readings (cuz of the cone filter), and fuel pressure with an OBDII diagnostic scanner, just look at the O2 sig, fuel trim (which is what caused the P0171 in the first place), and the MAF sig for any odd readings...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

well, i will re-fuel today with high octane gas and reset the ECU and let you guys know the developments....thanks for the input....although more ideas/suggestions will be deeply apprecciated...

well, what do you know...the car is better now... i will keep watching for any weird stuff... thanks for all the inputs and hits, you guys deserve a bigger turbo!

I take back what i said on the last post! I was crusin' on the FW and the CEL goes on again...so it was not the type of gas i was using. it threw the same CEL with 91 octane, but the weird thing is that its only after a certain amount of miles, which ranges from 60-200mi until in throws the CEL again... next i will try going back to the stock airbox
    flies like a butterfly, stings like when i pee

well fellas, new developments, ran another diagnostic and this time it said that the fuel system for bank 1 was too lean (bank 1 identifies the location for cylinder #1...meaning the spark plugs, while bank to identifies the cylinders for the opposite bank)...however, i only got bank 1...has anyone has had this trouble? with the spark plugs i mean?
    flies like a butterfly, stings like when i pee

don't get confused by the Bank 1 / Bank 2 stuff, that's just there in case there are two O2 sensors because there are two exhaust banks, ie a V engine... subaru has one O2 sensor after the headers meet and form one pipe, so Bank 1 is for all 4 cylinders... ignore the plugs in this instance, they wouldn't cause the fuel trim to go high enough to cause a P0171... since you say you can't find any vac leaks, did you check fuel pressure?
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.