Tranny Fluid Question

This is a discussion on Tranny Fluid Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok all - so I'm sure everyone is sick of reading threads on tranny fluids. I know I sure am ...

Tranny Fluid Question

Ok all - so I'm sure everyone is sick of reading threads on tranny fluids. I know I sure am as I have been researching this topic over the last few days.

But I have to ask this questions:
    I have 72K miles on my 2002 WRX and it's time to change the tranny oil. For some reason (and don't hate me for this), I have managed to never change it since I bought the car new in '02.

Anyway, I'm looking to create a custom cocktail based off of all the info I've read on this forum and other alike. I think I've come up with something good, but wanted everyone's opinion. Mainly, I'm looking for any information on why I SHOULDN'T use this. Any any other opinions would be great too.

1 QT Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Fluid (SAE 5W-30)
    1 QT Redline Lightweight Gear Oil (Synthetic - 75W80 GL-5 equivalent)
    ~2 QT Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission / Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90 GL-4)

What are you thoughts on that mix? Two questions to think about:

1) Should I substitute the Redline Lightweight Gear Oil for their 75W90 NS Synthetic?

2) Should I subsitute something for the Redline ShockProof Oil (Superlight or Lightweight)?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse on this issue, but there are so many threads that it's hard to get a good answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum.

Transmission fluid replacement is not required in the Subaru maintenance chart; it's just recommend. Changing the fluid certainly won't hurt anything, and in most cases, will help.

I just changed transmission fluid for the second time (almost at 60K miles now). I think I used Mobil 1 80W-90 the first time (I'll have to check my gas mileage and maintenance spreadsheet). In the winter, the transmission was a bear to shift until it was fully warmed up.

This time around I used 1 qt Pennzoil Synchromesh and the rest Valvoline 75W-90 dinosaur juice. So far so good. The actual shifting itself didn't get any easier or smoother, but I can downshift at higher speeds than before.

I am by no means an expert on transmission fluid and I have poured over the thousands of posts on the subject on this and on other forums, probably much like you have. I decided to go with what was readily available at the autoparts stores, affordable, and somewhat proven brands/weights. I can report back in a few thousand miles, but so far so good. YMMV.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I just change mine and used the valvoline 75-90. I previously had M1 synthetic and the car would grind when shifting everynow and then also there was a real high pitch wine with the synthetic. For everything I have read syntheitic oil for the transmission is great for racing conditions but not so great for the rest of the time. It has been known to cause excessive noise and cause grinding while shifting. For the transmission I would stick to the factory reccomonded. Synthetic is great for your other fluids though.

***NOTE THIS****
    When you change it you will not need to add the 3.8 quarts it says in the manual. You will only need about 3 quarts because some is left inside and will not drain out through the plug. Just let it drain as long as possible then refill till the dip stick says it is full.