A/C question..no power to compressor

This is a discussion on A/C question..no power to compressor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Used A/C for first time this year yesterday. Blower works. Coolant level OK. Compressor is NOT getting any power! Can't ...

A/C question..no power to compressor

Used A/C for first time this year yesterday.

Blower works.
    Coolant level OK.

Compressor is NOT getting any power!
    Can't cool if A/C unit not getting power to turn on.

Any suggestion as to where to look for the trouble spot?

Thanks!

(2002 WRX)

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up
    *1988 corvette street legal pro-street car
    best time 1/4: 10.5 sec at 129 mph
    *2003 Great Lakes Region Corvette Challenge Drag Racing series Points Champion.
    *2006, 2007, & 2008 NMCA True Street Class winner

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WR - When you say "coolant level", do you mean refrigerant (R134a)? Compressors have a switch that prevents the compressors from engaging when the refrigerant level is below a certain point to prevent the compressor from seizing.

I would have a mechanic evacuate the system and recharge it, adding some leak detection fluid, and see if that causes the compressor to engage. If it does, have the mechanic check for leaks.

Another (low tech) way to guess if there is a leak would be to examine all the hoses and fittings for an area that is obviously greasier than anywhere else and have a mechanic look there first.

AccardiParts.com can help with any genuine Subaru A/C part if it turns out that you need to replace anything.
    Mike Gowen
    AccardiParts.com
    Questions? Comments? Click Here to email
    Got chat? AIM - accardiparts YAHOO - accardi_parts
    Your Source for SPT, STi and aftermarket Parts and Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by AccardiParts View Post
    WR - When you say "coolant level", do you mean refrigerant (R134a)? Compressors have a switch that prevents the compressors from engaging when the refrigerant level is below a certain point to prevent the compressor from seizing.

I would have a mechanic evacuate the system and recharge it, adding some leak detection fluid, and see if that causes the compressor to engage. If it does, have the mechanic check for leaks.

Another (low tech) way to guess if there is a leak would be to examine all the hoses and fittings for an area that is obviously greasier than anywhere else and have a mechanic look there first.

AccardiParts.com can help with any genuine Subaru A/C part if it turns out that you need to replace anything.

Yes r134a.

Thanks. I will follow up

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up

I Support ClubWRX
    Assuming the system has freon: Fuse? OR: Handy with a volt meter? Is the compressor getting power at the electric leads when the switch is ON? If not, suspect the thermo switch in the dash (that turns system on/off depending on the temp it senses) -- especially if you can bypass the switch and the compressor then engages.

EDIT: The bugeyes had a known A/C issue when introduced. Search here or on Nasioc if/when they come back up (down today) for A/C problems around 2003 or so; may have been a valve issue (dash). I don't recall specifically.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-27-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Evac and recharge.
    Put some dye in there to detect leaks.
    (Didn't think it was low, but I was rrrrrrrong)

Good to go.

Thanks!

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up

Glad I could help you go from being rrrrrrrrrrong to being brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future!
    Mike Gowen
    AccardiParts.com
    Questions? Comments? Click Here to email
    Got chat? AIM - accardiparts YAHOO - accardi_parts
    Your Source for SPT, STi and aftermarket Parts and Accessories

Glad I could help you go from being rrrrrrrrrrong to being brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future!
    THANKS!

It's just that the refridgerant level was the first thing I checked!
    I dismissed it because I thought there was enough for it to work.
    You made me circle back and revisit that situation saving hours of tail chasing.

I have have always said...."I have many faults but being wrong is not one of them".

Now I can't even say that anymore.

Thanks again!

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up