02 WRX Acceleration Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Acceleration Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I have done some searching but can't seem to find a situation quite like mine. So here it goes... ...

Exclamation 02 WRX Acceleration Problem

Ok, I have done some searching but can't seem to find a situation quite like mine. So here it goes...
    I have a 02 WRX with 52000 miles on it. Its completly stock and has always been that way. About 3 weeks ago I got on my car for the first time in a while and at about 5000 rpms the engine felt like it was completly cutting out and lurched forward, then caught again and accelerated fine for a little bit then cut out again. The engine isn't really cutting completly off but it just seems like it. It seems to do this in just under high boost. Now the problem has gotten worse in the past few days where after getting off the highway from work (about 40 miles) even under just a little acceleration the car does the same thing.

I'm thinking this has something to do with loosing pressure, because the engine runs perfectly fine under low levels of boost (cruising on the highway or under very light acceleration). Has anyone ever had this problem and know how to solve it or have any good suggestions. I'm really bumming about this because I love my WRX!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you still have the stock clutch?Slipping clutch,maybe.

Stg 2 06STI
    02/04 WRX MSPT Tuned - 18g(DEAD)

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"-Vizzini

Thats the first thing I thought but I took it to a transmission shop and the guy there said it definetly is not the clutch.

bump....anyone else have any ideas???

Boost control vacume lines leaking, FBC solenoid needs cleaning/replaceing.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Well nothing I have tried so far has done a thing about this problem I am having. Its gone through 2 mechanics and now is sitting at the stealership. Currently they have had it for a day and don't have a clue what is causing the problem. They said they have been in contact with subaru techs and they have yet to come up with anything.

This is so frustrating.

mine is an 03 with about 52k, sometimes at highway speed or above 50 or 60 my car kinda does the same thing, it kind bogs down and the acceleration stumbles but the engine is running fine, i found that if i dont wot every once in a while the problem is more common, make sure you have good gas in your car 93 octane from a gas station that doesnt put ethonal or alcohol in the gas, i use shell or sunco, and make sure the air filter is clean, it could be a vacuum line but that generally will make the car idle rough, i would definately check your gas first because i think alot of companies cut corners and down grade the gas to sell at a lower cost to appeal to more people.....
    good luck and post what the problem is when you get it resolved

Well finally got my car back from the dealership. They found my fuel pressure was way lower than it was suppose to be so they replaced the fuel pump. So far that seems to have fixed the problem. The car drives great again, with great acceleration all the way through the RPMs.

To bad it cost me $853!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkplugs

I had same issue, replaced spark plugs then all was good. 2002 WRX stock 82k

$853 for a fuel pump replacement??

talk about stealership
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Banned
    $99 bucks for a walbro 255 at jscspeed. DIY and you save $$$ .. not suprised though from a stealership. You know how much I was quoted for a 2 UP gasket, $85 bucks. I was like.. thats rape! you can get a whole gasket kit at JSCSPEED for 60-90 something includes: UP, DP, Headers gaskets.. cant remember exact price
    Last edited by gasstationboi; 04-24-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboi View Post
    $99 bucks for a walbro 255 at jscspeed. DIY and you save $$$ .. not suprised though from a stealership. You know how much I was quoted for a 2 UP gasket, $85 bucks. I was like.. thats rape! you can get a whole gasket kit at JSCSPEED for 60-90 something includes: UP, DP, Headers gaskets.. cant remember exact price

You can get a Uppipe, Downpipe, AND header gasket for $90?

I'm calling
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

-kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.