lots of problems with 03 wrx

This is a discussion on lots of problems with 03 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; to start of this is my first thread on this site i read a lot of posts and it seems ...

Exclamation lots of problems with 03 wrx

to start of this is my first thread on this site

i read a lot of posts and it seems like this is the place to be to get answers and i would like to thank you in advance for helping me

first off the only mods i have to my 03 wrx is a cold air intake, headers, uppipe, 3" catback exhaust, light weight flywheel and spec stage 2.5 clutch

now for the symtoms: rought idle not as smooth as when i first bought it and when it is cold out the idle goes high then low then high then low and eventualy coming back to normal idle speed. when i deaccellerate there is a raping noise (like when you put a baseball card on your bike and runs on the spokes) coming from the differentals. also had cel codes are po480 malfuction exists in the control circuit for cooling fan, po301, po302, po303 misfire in cyclinders 1,2, and 3. cel came on a week after i when into the ditch because of black ice and bald tires. when i got pulled out i let the rpms get to high and the rev limiter stoped it from going any further for about 2 sec. also my radiator/grill was packed with snow stoping any air flow through it. it never overheated though

any info on precaustions/reamidies i should do to improve the health of my wrx would be greatly apreaciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This may be a stupid question but do you have EM? If you don't have EM that would cause all your problems and they may not be temporary, depending on how long you have driven. The first problem with the rough idle could be because of the CIA. Take that damn thing off immediately, subies don't like them, unless you got pro tuned.

Go to a tuner or a subie dealer immediately. I vote tuner.
    Last edited by Knome; 03-26-2007 at 08:31 PM.

thanks but

what is a EM and a CIA

i have a turboxs piggy back ECU but haven't installed it yet
    Last edited by Gnarzo; 03-27-2007 at 01:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    EM= Engine Management. The proper tuning in your car's ECU to handle your mods.

CAI=Cold Air Intake. He got his letters mixed up.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Engine management. You can put all that stuff on your car but if you engine computer doesn't know how to deal with the new equipment it WILL permanently destroy the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarzo View Post
    what is a EM and a CIA

i have a turboxs piggy back ECU but haven't installed it yet
    CAI - Cold Air Intake
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

thanks for the info

but i don't know any trusted tuners in my area

and would like to learn how to do every thing myself so i don't have to spend all my money on labor instead of more parts

i live in richie, il ( half way between kkk and joliet on 102 )

Tuning is very very hard to do yourself, I would suggest finding a place as soon as you can or install you turbo xs tuner and go download a map that fits your modifications ASAP.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Knome View Post
    Engine management. You can put all that stuff on your car but if you engine computer doesn't know how to deal with the new equipment it WILL permanently destroy the engine.
    Ok, so agreeing that the CAI needs to come off, after that what else on that list requires protuning to the extent that it will permanently damage the motor? I'm not sure that this is the best advise to cure his immediate problems.

Your misfires and idle could be caused directly by the flywheel. This is not tunable-
    One example:
    Flywheel/ Pulley Misfire CEL's...

How heavy is the flywheel?

The differential noise you should probably have looked at. Is it from the rear of the car? Hopefully it might be an axle issue instead. Something sounds off about the way you got out of that ditch, and probably resulted in this issue.
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-27-2007 at 02:33 PM.

i when to turbo xs to down load maps

but i don't know what TXS, TBE and TMI are

also does any one know size of the stand offs are for a turbo xs utec

I Support ClubWRX
    i when to turbo xs to down load maps

but i don't know what TXS, TBE and TMI are

also does any one know size of the stand offs are for a turbo xs utec
    TXS = a brand; TBE = turbo back exhaust (you are missing the downpipe, the most important part); TMI = Top mount intercooler (not sure if they are referring to an upgraded one, but this is the stock type as well).

Here is the sticky that explains the acronyms:

What does it mean?? Terminology and Acronyms for the newcomer!

As I explained above, I doubt tuning is going to solve any of your actual problems. It is still a good idea, but probably not a solution at this time. You need to research your mods on the stickies and search. Get rid of the CAI to start with you don't need it for anything you are doing currently and it is hurting your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    How heavy is the flywheel?

The differential noise you should probably have looked at. Is it from the rear of the car? Hopefully it might be an axle issue instead. Something sounds off about the way you got out of that ditch, and probably resulted in this issue.

the fly wheel weighs 9.5 lb

i had the diff looked at by the dealership, they wanted to change out the whole rear diff and thoght that the noise in the front was from the clutch but it can't be because i only makes the noise when slowing down, coincideing with the speed of the car not the rpms, and i looked at the rear by removing the cover and it looked fine no metal bits or shavings, no broken teeth, no missing peaces or any thing

the diff noise started after i put on the flywheel/clutch about 2 years ago

i searched online and found a site that sells stronger gears for my trans. and the site had a list of common problems that that gear set would fix and one of them was diff chatter the problem i have. and that the only thing a dealership would do is put on a heavyer flywheel to quiet it so i though since i put on a lighter flywheel the noise would get louder. i didn't hear the noise before so i though i didn't hear it untill i had the lighter flywheel on.

i hear the noise from the rear diff and the front of the trans (front diff possibly)

I Support ClubWRX
    the fly wheel weighs 9.5 lb

i had the diff looked at by the dealership, they wanted to change out the whole rear diff and thoght that the noise in the front was from the clutch but it can't be because i only makes the noise when slowing down, coincideing with the speed of the car not the rpms, and i looked at the rear by removing the cover and it looked fine no metal bits or shavings, no broken teeth, no missing peaces or any thing

the diff noise started after i put on the flywheel/clutch about 2 years ago

i searched online and found a site that sells stronger gears for my trans. and the site had a list of common problems that that gear set would fix and one of them was diff chatter the problem i have. and that the only thing a dealership would do is put on a heavyer flywheel to quiet it so i though since i put on a lighter flywheel the noise would get louder. i didn't hear the noise before so i though i didn't hear it untill i had the lighter flywheel on.

i hear the noise from the rear diff and the front of the trans (front diff possibly)
    Your flywheel is a bit light, minimum recommended seems to be 13.8lbs. Gears sound like an unlikely candidate at this time as far as solving this issue. A heavier flywheel is probably the way to go.

You need to let go of some of you poorly researched mods including the CAI and now probably the flywheel as well. Take a step backwards now and you will be way ahead in the long run. This is the recommended mod path:

Good first mods

I'm just saying that he's been having all those cel's and problem for atleast 6 months and is still driving the car there is a good chance that some of them may not be temporary.

i just got those cels a week a go

i just tryed to reflash mu turbo xs utek and keeps on failing the transfer

ie no response from unit

is it junk
    Last edited by Gnarzo; 03-27-2007 at 03:37 PM.