Oil question

This is a discussion on Oil question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know it's kinda a stupid question but i was just wondering what kind of oil everyone normally uses. I ...

Oil question

I know it's kinda a stupid question but i was just wondering what kind of oil everyone normally uses. I usually use M1 syn 5W 30. I just read a thread that seemed like most use 10w. Also wondering how long it usually takes before the oil drains back into the pan after running the car to get a good reading off the dipstick. I always seem to have a different oil level all the time. I have a 2002 wrx. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've always used Castrol 10w30, but in the winter months since it gets below 0 here, I use 5w30.

Do you ever have wierd oil readings? It seems like when i change my oil i can read it fine but after i run it, it never seems to give me an accurate reading.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blurallyboy View Post
    I know it's kinda a stupid question but i was just wondering what kind of oil everyone normally uses. I usually use M1 syn 5W 30.
    That worked fine in my 02 but due to use (up to 600 ml per oil change) I eventually switched to a 40 but kept using Mobil 1 products. I went from the 5W-40 Truck/SUV to the 0W-40 Euro. Both are great. The former in particular was superb but is not sold any more. The latter is still an excellent choice.

I just read a thread that seemed like most use 10w. Also wondering how long it usually takes before the oil drains back into the pan after running the car to get a good reading off the dipstick. I always seem to have a different oil level all the time. I have a 2002 wrx. Thanks in advance.
    With a good synth there's little reason to use a 10 no matter where you are in the US. Even wider-range oils like a 0W-40 will hold up fine for the drain interval you are interested in.

It's hard to get a reliable reading. I usually check when the motor is stone cold.

Since you are up north you can try running M1 0W-40 year-round. I assume that you have no oil leaks to worry about since you are already running a M1 product to begin with. Remember a synth will clean up any crud and if there's a seal or gasket that's failed already and is being "patched" by crud, you'll see juice come out it if you're switching sometimes. Since you're not, you'll be fine. Try to find something you can use year-round. For you, that's basically from -40C to +40C... The 0W-40 could do that. The 5W-30 could also do that. The 10W-30 Mobil 1 synth (specifically) could also but the 5W or 0W would be better choices. I think the 5W and 10W 30s are still made from the same base, BTW, but all the M1 40s are different animals.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

contrary to popular belief, a thinner oil is going to protect your engine. a thicker oil is not. the only exception to this is if you are running really, really high oil temperatures (such as by tracking the car) or you live say smack in the middle of the desert and its 120F outside all day. (or you have a really old car with loose, sloppy engine tolerances).

in other words, under street or even autocross conditions your oil temps will not get high enough to thin out a thicker oil.

plus think about cold starts; the first number in a multi-viscosity oil refers to its viscosity when cold. you want this number to be low. dont use a 10w-; thats a pretty thick weight to run through your engine first thing in the morning.

read this long but informative website: http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor%20Oil%20101.htm

p.s. in my 03 WRX i used M1 0w40, but not that i know a bit more than i did then, i am going to research a little further before i go with a -w40. i want to stick to a 0 or 5w30. can anyone tell me the normal oil temp range for these cars?
    Last edited by yo vanilla; 03-24-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

thanks for the help.. also, sometimes when i check it in the morning when it's cold, it sill reads very low or almost dry, i have no oil leaks and when i change my oil i always put the correct amount in

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    contrary to popular belief, a thinner oil is going to protect your engine. a thicker oil is not.
    That's now the popular belief, replacing the older popular belief. Luckily modern oils are so good that a competent brand will provide adequate protection with almost any product in its range, so it's hard to go wrong either way. It's not that I have something against thinner oils (I use an M1 5W-20, yes 20 in one of my motors) but they're not great by default either.

p.s. in my 03 WRX i used M1 0w40, but not that i know a bit more than i did then, i am going to research a little further before i go with a -w40. i want to stick to a 0 or 5w30. can anyone tell me the normal oil temp range for these cars?
    Under track use they can exceed 110C but under normal use most people see 100C or so. Exceptions can be high rev low speed situations like autox or snow.

Incidentally, M1 0W-40 is an ACEA A3 oil and should be adequate from -40C to beyond 40C. Have you looked at its behavior in the early and mid-stage of a typical, say 5,000 mile oil drain interval? It tends to thin out, in many cases resembling a "thick" 30 more than a "thick" 40 (it basically becomes a "thin" 40, staying just above the 30 limit) and then thickens again toward the end of its life. I mention this in case you can't find an ACEA A3 30W (IMO you'd want to stay with at least an ACEA A1, but A3 is better). You could do a lot worse than M1 0W-40 (MB229.5, VW505.1 I believe, and I also believe it's BMW Long life 0x, don't have a bottle handy).

Happy shopping!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.