16g install problems.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 16g install problems. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First here are my mods: AVO TMIC walbro 255 fuel pimp STI pink injectors Perrin IC hoses and turbo inlet ...

16g install problems.

First here are my mods:
    AVO TMIC
    walbro 255 fuel pimp
    STI pink injectors
    Perrin IC hoses and turbo inlet hose
    TurboXS stealth back exhaust with STI muffler
    STI up-pipe
    FP16g turbo

Now I just got the 16g on today and I get these problems.

1st problem--- When I initially give it it gas it boggs for a second before it starts to go. it is not noticable at high RPM's but it gets worse the lower my RPM's are, enough that every shift it boggs a little before it goes. However once the intial bogg is done it is extremely smooth.

2nd problem--- In 4th and 5th gear when I keep it floored the boost builds to 18.4 stays for a second or two then the car cuts out and a CEL pops up. I was reading and this sounds exactly like a boost creep problem. I did not have time to get it dyno tuned, so we planned on doing this next week.

The temporary map they put in they said was from another job they did with the exact same parts. They said my power should be about 250 ish at the wheels, so it is not like I am really pushing the turbo. Is this a common problem and am I going to have to port the wastegate or add an external one. Or is it most likely they will be able to adjust this all when I get my dyno tune done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon03wrx View Post
    First here are my mods:
    AVO TMIC
    walbro 255 fuel pimp
    STI pink injectors
    Perrin IC hoses and turbo inlet hose
    TurboXS stealth back exhaust with STI muffler
    STI up-pipe
    FP16g turbo

Now I just got the 16g on today and I get these problems.

1st problem--- When I initially give it it gas it boggs for a second before it starts to go. it is not noticable at high RPM's but it gets worse the lower my RPM's are, enough that every shift it boggs a little before it goes. However once the intial bogg is done it is extremely smooth.

2nd problem--- In 4th and 5th gear when I keep it floored the boost builds to 18.4 stays for a second or two then the car cuts out and a CEL pops up. I was reading and this sounds exactly like a boost creep problem. I did not have time to get it dyno tuned, so we planned on doing this next week.

The temporary map they put in they said was from another job they did with the exact same parts. They said my power should be about 250 ish at the wheels, so it is not like I am really pushing the turbo. Is this a common problem and am I going to have to port the wastegate or add an external one. Or is it most likely they will be able to adjust this all when I get my dyno tune done.
    1st problem sounds like you are running rich, just need to get pro tuned to fix that..

2nd problem is your hitting boost cut.. your boost solenoid are still set to stock setting, which i think is 18-19 psi... this would also be fixed if you got tuned.. to find out for sure.. find someone with a manual boost controller, or buy one... hook it up and run 18-19psi.. if it doesnt cut, then its just the factory boost solenoid settings

when do you get tuned?
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

Thanks for the info, I was hoping they were just problems with the map. I am just going to take it back in to PDX tuning and go without a car this weekend. I talked to them and they said exactly what you did, so nice diagnosis. Thanks again.

no prob.. put up a graph after u get tuned
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

1 could be caused by a VTA bov as well, either way the tune will be good because you'll get a professionals eyes on your car and you'll be more than happy when it's done.

I should get it back monday they said the CEL problem was the max boost level was still the factory setting and was not a problem with the waste gate. they said both problem were an easy fix. I was planning to get the protune when I installed everything but they were in between dyno's.

I don't have a aftermarket BOV, its +the oem BPV, but what is the VTA acronym stands for.

Also when I put stage 2 my timing multiplier got set to 9 instead of 16 so that is was another problem. I was wondering why my bro's 04 was right on my tail.

I will post the Dyno results when I get them.

VTA = Vent To Atmosphere
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.