Question on WRX issues
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question on WRX issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking for a 2002 - 2003 WRX and was wondering if there were any problems that alot of ...

Question on WRX issues

I am looking for a 2002 - 2003 WRX and was wondering if there were any problems that alot of people see. Is there a trend in what breaks and needs to be repaired? what are the weak areas of the car, mechanically like clutch, diff, trans, ect., and how much is it to get them fixed? im looking for somehting sporty and reliable at the same time, not like the tiburon i curently own. What do you think about the WRX?

thants for the imput.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In the end, it all comes down to how you drive the car. With the 02-03 models, they have supposedly a "Glass Tranny". But, I personally know of a handful of guys who have a vf34 turbo setup on stock tranny. If you baby it, then you should have a lot of time in your suby! No clutch drops and lots of hard launches, and you are golden.
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

thanks, the way i drive i dont think i will exactly baby it but im not going to be running it at the track or anything. the trans probly gose becaues people like to launch at 6 grand with the AWD. im just looking for something quick to terrorize my town and zip down the highways.

if anybody else has any knolage of things that usualy go wrong with the sudies please let me know.

thanks.

Even correct launches are hard on the tranny.
    Since the 02-03s have the slightly weaker teeth, it just seems to be an issue that most people that drive the car expirence eventually. Not everyone of course.
    Not being an idiot and good tranny fluid will certainly help prolong the life of your gearbox.

ok, so the subarus have a weak tranny, so any start is hard on it, but how about shifting once you are going. dose running through the gear fast take a big toll on it? do syncros go early? also tansmitions are expencive, is it worth getting a subaru with about 60-70000 on it or will the trans go soon and cost me alot to fix?

thanks for the advice,

3rd gear syncros grind in many. Clutch usually gives out before the tranny but hard/improper launches will take it all.
    Being from Jersey make sure you inquire about the cold weather fuel leak. Expensive to fix, make sure it's done before you buy. Search for the thread relating to this at most stealerships are charging $500+
    Make sure to inquire into any/all mods. Things like exhaust upgrades are fine but be careful of aftermarket boost controllers, intakes, and blow off valves. Upgraded turbos are fine IF the supporting mods have been done together ( tune, larger injectors, fuel pump, larger IC, etc ).
    Search the FS threads here and on Nabisco, people will call out those with bad cars or mods.
    Good luck, these cars are a blast!!!!
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

FWIW - My 2002 bugeye is vf34 and runs and drives beautifully. I'm still on the stock clutch and tranny. I DO NOT LAUNCH MY CAR. I sometimes rev up to maybe 3k and slip the clutch for quick acceleration, and though not more than 20% of the time, over the last few months several times I have lit up all 4 tires in the process of doing so. This was on dry clean road, not wet/snow. In the rain and snow, I generally take it easy as I'm not trying to risk messing up the center diff. I try not to ever spin my tires while driving my WRX, but sometimes it does happen.

In all my research online, I keep finding two different explanations of the WRX center diff, some stating 50/50, while others say 45/55. Anyone care to chime in on this?

To get back on topic - if you are good at driving stick and understand how to minimalize shock on the drivetrain, it should last a long time.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

[QUOTE=Micah;1861313]In all my research online, I keep finding two different explanations of the WRX center diff, some stating 50/50, while others say 45/55. Anyone care to chime in on this?[QUOTE]
    I believe the bugeyes with the 4EAT auto tranny get the 50/50 with VDC and the 5MT has the fixed 45/55 but the ratios could be reversed.
    Last edited by ktmrider; 03-20-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

thank for the info on you own 02 trans, it seems like as long as i drive it decent and done beat on it every day and take it to the track then i should be ok. im just worried about buying it with 70000 or so on it. i hear subarus are good cars though. i am not sure about the ratio but i know that it is fixed on the WRX and can be changed on the STI.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    In all my research online, I keep finding two different explanations of the WRX center diff, some stating 50/50, while others say 45/55. Anyone care to chime in on this?
    I believe the bugeyes with the 4EAT auto tranny get the 50/50 with VDC and the 5MT has the fixed 45/55 but the ratios could be reversed.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Also explains why sometimes I swear I can tell it's the back tires breaking loose before the front.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    To get back on topic - if you are good at driving stick and understand how to minimalize shock on the drivetrain, it should last a long time.
    Micah - Right on the money! You can have the most bulletproof, tricked out drivetrain in the world, but if you don't understand the mechanics of how they work, you'll be constantly blaming the OEM or aftermarket component that just shattered into 10,000 pieces for the third time rather than modifying your launch.

Mike Gowen
    AccardiParts.com
    Questions? Comments? Click Here to email
    Got chat? AIM - accardiparts YAHOO - accardi_parts
    Your Source for SPT, STi and aftermarket Parts and Accessories

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.