Rough idle

This is a discussion on Rough idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone else's wrx have a kind of rough idle right after you start the car and its still cold?...

Rough idle

Does anyone else's wrx have a kind of rough idle right after you start the car and its still cold?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yupp, I do, it kinda moves the whole car too. But when I give it some gas, it goes away after a little bit. I think it's just the boxer type engine. Er something to do with that.

-Ryan
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

A little bit of a rough idle is totally normal. Its just the idle control solenoid making constant adjustments - nothing to be concerned with.

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

The rough idle when cold is expected and normal.

The idle shouldn't be too rough once the car is warmed up.

Yes there will be the boxer offbeat note but the car shouldn't be shuddering...

I'm having this argument with Subaru now who claim they all have a rough idle when warm.

I have 2 friends with the same car with baby smooth idles...

I even asked the dealer to start a car on the lot that was new and warm it up. It idled smoothly. I said to the dealer. This car is faulty as they all have a rough idle. Can I please have this fault installed in my car?

Cheers
    Ant
    =========================================
    Smith & Wesson : The original point and click interface
    http://www.pbase.com/wrxant/my_wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    My car vibrates a tiny little bit when it's idling after it's warmed up.

It's got VERY cold in Minneapolis the last few days and I'm nervous the car isn't going to start. It doesn't sound so good starting up in -20 degrees. Sometimes it sounds like it won't start. It always does, but it doesn't inspire confidence let's say..

Oh, and then when it DOES start, driving for the first few minutes is a REAL pain. First gear won't go in unless I'm COMPLETELY stopped, and it's all stiff to change gears. Add to that, the car sounds like a total tractor from freezing cold starts. Ick!
    2010 SSM STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Antman, I noticed the Aussie WRX has an extra 'lcd' for oil temperature? Very handy. Also, you have a rear fog-light button, whereas the US WRX's don't. I noticed that the second I got into the car. Kind of annoying since we get some bad fogs where I live in Minnesota. Grrr...

Cheap bastards!
    2010 SSM STI

William,

The LCD is for outside air temp!

And yeah the rear fog light is good but only available on wagon models over here!

Cheers
    Ant
    Smith & Wesson : The original point and click interface
    http://www.pbase.com/wrxant/my_wrx

Hey Antman- I know your secret identity-Hank Pym, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WilliamG
    My car vibrates a tiny little bit when it's idling after it's warmed up.

It's got VERY cold in Minneapolis the last few days and I'm nervous the car isn't going to start. It doesn't sound so good starting up in -20 degrees. Sometimes it sounds like it won't start. It always does, but it doesn't inspire confidence let's say..

Oh, and then when it DOES start, driving for the first few minutes is a REAL pain. First gear won't go in unless I'm COMPLETELY stopped, and it's all stiff to change gears. Add to that, the car sounds like a total tractor from freezing cold starts. Ick!
    2 suggestions:

1) get a block heater if you can get access to electricity anywhere near your car.

2) Run M1 0w-30 oil. The low cold viscosity number is just the thing you need for really cold weather.

Not much you can do with the tranny, but heating the block should help a bit - some heat will end up in the tranny and just be patient warming it up. Definitely for both the engine and tranny it's beneficial to let it warm up idling if possible.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru have told me over and over not to switch to synth until 10k. I'll trust them. I do let the car idle for a few mins before moving though to get the car going. When I am driving though straight from cold, I never take it over 3k until it's warmed up.
    2010 SSM STI

Mine has a little bit of a rough idle even when warm. Nothing major, just a little quiver here and there. I figure it goes with the territory for a 114 hp/litre motor.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by FUNKED1
    Mine has a little bit of a rough idle even when warm. Nothing major, just a little quiver here and there.
    Mine is the same way. Smooth as silk with a slight quiver every now and again.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

THe grounding mod fixed up my rough idle.