running worst now?

This is a discussion on running worst now? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok so my car came with a gfb bov, an aem cai, a catless no name brand up pipe. and ...

running worst now?

ok so my car came with a gfb bov, an aem cai, a catless no name brand up pipe. and an mrt boost cut defender ( have no idea what to do with it so i havent messed with it). other then that it is stock.

ok now the problem, the other day my brother and i took the 2 peice cai apart and made it into sri. i also cleaned the air filter but didnt recharge it. just the k&n filter cleaner. from what i have been reading, the better intakes have a stright throw design right before the maf. that is what it is now as a sri. but on my way to work today my car started to act weird. it wouldnt go above .4 mpa. no matter what gear it was in. i left it as it was when i got to work and checked it on my break, i didnt see any of the hoses disconected. i double checked all the zip ties and they were on there good and tight. i did smell exhaust fumes but could not hear any exhaust leaks. break was over and they get very anal if you are late. also the ideal was low, less then 750 but still more then 500. seemed like it was struggling at idle.
    after i get off of work i take the back roads instead of the freeway. the car felt fine. felt like there was nothing wrong. so i get on it a little and im getting full boost. even more so. i was getting .09 before and it was doing .1 mpa. i go and grab dinner and start heading home. im ready to turn on my street when the cel came on. so i head stright to autozone to get the code.
    the code was engine run lean. forgot to write the code before deleting it. could the sri be causing more problems then the cai?

thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any one?

that code (P0171 bank1 lean) is tricky. i do know a lot of aftermarket intakes cause problems with the stock MAF, so put the stock back on if you can get one. you probably won't be in trouble if you drive it for a while before you can get one. i'd start with that.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox